Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Finger boards

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.14.05 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Finger boards

It has been said that Eddie used the "Shark" guitar to record all the non trem parts on the first album.

It looks to have either a Rosewood or ebony board,so I was just wondering if he liked that tone well enough to record with, why he only uses maple fretboards.

Dumb ? but I'm curious. Exactly how much of a difference tone wise a finger board makes between maple and Rosewood and Ebony.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

I don't know whether it was rosewood or ebony on that guitar, but ebony has similar sound characteristics as maple.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, if you listen closely to that first recording, you can easily pick out which tracks the Ibanez Destroyer was played on. You Really got me, Jamies Cryin', etc. have a really nice aggressive tone to them. I'm not sure if it was the neck wood that made the difference. Those first Ibanez's were bad ass guitars.

Regarding neck wood, I can comment that recently, I replaced the rosewood neck on my strat with a Warmoth maple and the instrument really came alive. I was surprised how dramatic the change was just by putting on a new neck. This is my first maple neck and I can see what a big part of the EVH tone it is.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JWR,

That's waht I mean, since that tone was so awesome, why didn't he use that kind of a baord more than he did.

I'm getting ready to build aguitar and I have a very bright setup as it is, and I just wanted to know if I switch to a maple oard if it is going ot casue me to have to adjust my EQ way different from the rest of my guitars. Thanks for the help.

Rick

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cazmarzak
    JWR,

That's waht I mean, since that tone was so awesome, why didn't he use that kind of a baord more than he did.

I'm getting ready to build aguitar and I have a very bright setup as it is, and I just wanted to know if I switch to a maple oard if it is going ot casue me to have to adjust my EQ way different from the rest of my guitars. Thanks for the help.

Rick
    The fingerboard is pretty small in the the equation that determine's your guitar's overall sound.
    Ed's guitars don't sound that way because of the finger boards he's using.
    He's plays maple boards because he likes the feel of bare maple wood, not because of the overall tone of the wood.
    Your fingerboard will only compliment the overall tone.
    You didn't mention the body wood, or the pickups you'll be using, both which a much greater effect on your sound.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most likely alder just ot keep it the same as my other guitars. Right now I have a Full shred in one and seem to like it a lot. I havent really got to check it out cranked up though, the other pup is a Dimarzio Breed and I havent really gotten sure of whetehr I like it or not.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alder's high in mids, so a maple board will bring more of that, as well as the top end out. Rosewood will warm it up a bit. If you're using humbuckers, you're probably better off going with a lightweight mahogany body, which will bring out more bottom, and will probably balance better with your amp and the humbuckers. Maple won't hurt the sound at all, and will just brighten it a bit without taking any tone away. Using rosewood with mahogany will just make it sound a little darker but won't hurt it either.
    Mahogany will give you a fatter sound.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sounds cool, I just don't watn to run into the issue of having to re-EQ my amp for every guitar, as my Main guitar is a Jackson Sl-2 and it is very bright.

Although, I did run an Ibanez iceman, which was mahogany withthe same EQ and everything on stage and it kicked ass!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I'm quite happy with an Alder body and a Maple Neck. Throw in a Floyd, and a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon Trembucker (my personal preference) and a volume knob.