Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Crate 4 x 12

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Crate 4 x 12

My most recent purchase turns out to be one I'm very happy with. I picked up a Crate Blue Voodoo 4 x 12 for a real good price. Anyway, it is the one loaded with the Crate American Vintage speakers. I tried it out with a DSL 50 for a month, and it sounded real sweet, warm and smooth, and could handle all the volume I could throw at it. I wasn't expecting this from these speakers. I e-mailed Crate and they responded with some surprising info: the American Vintage speakers are made by Eminence and are voiced somewhere between a Celestion Vintage 30 and the G12-75. So I e-mailed Eminence to find out exactly what speaker is in my cab. Still waiting to hear back. I play mostly a Tech 21 Trademark 10, which sounds fantastic through this cab, since I can only play at low volume, but for the month that I had the DSL, it sounded great. It's 13 ply birch with a metal mesh grill, switchable 4-8-16 ohms with a line out to link to another cab. I would recommend checking them out, very well built and sound great. I know Crate has a bad name, but I think they are starting to make better product now.

For those of you looking for a low volume solution, I would recommend the set up above. The little Trademark 10 sounds terrific at low volumes, even through a 4 x 12. I can play late at night in the basement with the family asleep upstairs and not bother anyone. Sounds great and even at whisper volumes, the 4 x 12 provides an added depth to the sound. Crank that little 10 watt amp and you'd be surprised at what you hear. I'm considering moving to a Trademark 60 only because it is footswitchable, while the 10 is not, but even if I do, I'll keep that little amp around. It is way better than any of the modellers around. I put a Pod xt in the effects loop, running it for effects only, and I pretty much have everything I need. Still get major GAS though, and if I didn't have a wife to keep me under control, I think I'd be buried in credit card debt if you know what I mean.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.14.05 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Red Voodoo cab and it has the vintage 30's in it and I also run it with a dsl 50, it sounds great but it's way too loud.

At 3 it is blowing your hair back

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Yeah, the DSL was just way too much for what I need. I was in my garage and decided to crank the Ultra channel, the red one. I cranked it up to about 7 and I thought I was gonna die when I started playing. The cab sounded great though. I just can't use 50 tube watts in my situation. The Trademark 10 is a terrific alternative and it gives me tone for days.