Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

04.22.16 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default developing speed (the next step)

My problem is kind of hard to describe.. I have been playing for about 4 years now and in the last few days I have noticed that I can play FAST. This is something that seemed to come over night and I'm just baffled at how I managed to get so much faster all at once.
    Anyhow, my problem is I really can't find a way to use this new found speed. Since I picked up the guitar I always wanted to shred and now that I can I just don't know how to incoporate it into my playing and develop a style with it. So after endless nights of sitting in a room with a metronome I don't know what to do with the speed I aquired. In other words I don't want to become "the guy who can play fast." If anyone understands or has any advice please share.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I know what you are going through.

What I usually do is I try to make somethin out of the speed with different scales and stuff like that. Try some tapping and harmonics and you should be able to solo just about anything.

Im guessing you know quite a few scales since you have been playing for a while so just try to put in some blues scales. I mostly use the minor blues and I get some pretty cool solos out of that and add that with some tapping and some wammy bar tricks and you will be a shreddin machine.

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, naturally, if you write your own material, you have an avenue to incorporate it into your music. There's blazing rhythms (not just thrash) as hard to play as a lot of lead lines. Alot of people say "my style", well alot of people don't have a style, but just clone others. If you write your own material, you'll be able to come up with your own lines, phrasing, etc.

You know, some guys compose all of their lead lines, some just improvise like a mother, and a lot do a little of both. I don't know what you were exactly practicing. Were you running scales/modes up and down with a metronome? Or have you tried learning any difficult compositions. Running scales/modes is one thing, learning a composition that incorporates different techniques and phrasing is another. But I don't know exactly what your practice regimen is.

I don't think there's anything more annoying (except for a piece of shit that can't play altogether, but gets a Guitar World cover) than a 13 year old kid in guitar center playing nothing but sweeps, over and over. Then if he tries to incorporate some slurs, bends, picked/legato lines...he dies. You've really got to let your newfound tecnique come out in your music, rather than just applying it. Don't freak, you incorporate it into your songwriting, it will come in time.