Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Starting to lose hope

You know, Ed is now what, in his early 50s? I hate to be the downer, but I no longer have much hope of Ed going back to his old self. I genuinely think that the Eddie that we knew and loved is gone. Just think about it, with his seemingly declining health (hip replacement surgury, cancer, excessive drinking), his emotional damage (everything that happened before and after VH3, Val leaving him), his historical tendency for self destruction/abuse (Ed has NEVER taken good care of himself or his health, Ed has always fought depression, extreme insecurity, stage fright, etc.), and the fact that he has not been able to organize a truely stable band and recording effort (with the exception of VH3) since 1996 leads me to only one conclusion...and I don't want to hear it or believe it either.

I hate to see a man who I have looked up to as a God and constant inspiration in such a state. I truely hope that whatever Ed's been going through is just a temporary thing and he pulls out of it. Realistically though, I don't see it happening at this point. I wish Alex or Mike or even Val or Wolfie could do something for Ed, but I'm sure they have tried.

Ed, whatever is happening to you..whatever you are going through...you've GOT to pull out of it man! If not for yourself, do it for all the aspiring musicians out there...all the guitar students...all the kids who see a guitar hanging on a rack in a music store and wonder what it would be like to play it...and last but not least, all the people that have looked up to you all and stuck by you all these years, your fans. Now more than ever, the world needs guitar heroes...now more than ever, the world needs Eddie Van Halen.
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "I will never change because of a trend." - Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

You are probably right, but how can we say this is where he is at for sure? Many would say that despite all that you mentioned, he managed to complete a somewhat successful tour (11th isn't bad when you consider how long they were gone), three new songs on a compilations album, and never really did anything too weird until the final night of the tour.

I see pictures and Ed just looks like a wreck...then I see pictures and he looks pretty good, especially for a man his age. So I think going just by appearance doesn't tell the whole story.

Was his playing strong this past tour? No, at least not up to his standards...but let's be honest...he held it together...maybe that's a step in the right direction...

Hey I'm no Ed apologist; I think the man is whacko.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Last Online

09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know maybe this past tour was an improvement of where ed's been these past few years.I would think it would be considering everything he's gone through.But with putting that all aside it still does not justify his actions and lack of respect for his fans.Eddie and Alex keep saying that the band is solely theirs.This band would have had no fan interaction if it wasn't for Sam and Mike this past year.

Eddie will probably never return to his old self. I've said it before, the guy has changed gradually but significantly since 1995.Was his playing up to his own standards this past tour,i would say no.It certainly wasn't as good as his playing on the III tour.But it doesn't mean he sucked.Alot has changed in his life and it would be ridiculous to think it hasn't affected his playing for good or worse.With that being said, i truly hope this band pulls it together and eddie cleans up his act.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arackofwhat
    You know maybe this past tour was an improvement of where ed's been these past few years.I would think it would be considering everything he's gone through.But with putting that all aside it still does not justify his actions and lack of respect for his fans.Eddie and Alex keep saying that the band is solely theirs.This band would have had no fan interaction if it wasn't for Sam and Mike this past year.

Eddie will probably never return to his old self. I've said it before, the guy has changed gradually but significantly since 1995.Was his playing up to his own standards this past tour,i would say no.It certainly wasn't as good as his playing on the III tour.But it doesn't mean he sucked.Alot has changed in his life and it would be ridiculous to think it hasn't affected his playing for good or worse.With that being said, i truly hope this band pulls it together and eddie cleans up his act.
    Good post, I think we all hope for that

Favorite VH Album

ALL ALBUMS from ALL ERAS!!!
    Favorite VH Song

ALL SONGS from ALL ERAS!
    Last Online

11.25.07 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was really moving!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy
    Ed, whatever is happening to you..whatever you are going through...you've GOT to pull out of it man! If not for yourself, do it for all the aspiring musicians out there...all the guitar students...all the kids who see a guitar hanging on a rack in a music store and wonder what it would be like to play it...and last but not least, all the people that have looked up to you all and stuck by you all these years, your fans. Now more than ever, the world needs guitar heroes...now more than ever, the world needs Eddie Van Halen.
    I second that plea! GREAT POST! What kind of world would it be without Edward Van Halen? I don't even want to think about it! Long live the KING!