Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.25.05 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Classic VH,not recognized because...

In response to the "no hall of fame" or "Edward disrespected"posting here.Let me say this...Classic Van Halen is being ignored by the status quo of the music industry because,

1.Van Halen was and is a self contained band.Think about it.Does VH need ace producers or songwriters to sell records.NO.VH has never needed the industry to survive.Which means less control over the band.Even though VH has done great for Warner Bros.They like to have thier artist by the balls more often than not.

2.Van Halen is ignored by many musicians of the last 10 years because they are jealous and/or threatened.This one is easy.Most top 40 guitar players right now are fleas on Edward Van Halen's ass. (say it again)Most top 40 guitar players right now are fleas on Edward Van Halen's ass.Even people who go out of thier way to "not do any of that Van Halen stuff"are being influenced by Edward just by virtue of the fact of him being there.By putting so much energy into ignoring Ed.They are reacting to him and his band.Van Halen wasn't a reaction to anything.They were(and are)the natural expression of the genious of the Van Halen brothers and whoever they happen to be working with at the time.Not to mention Dave.(Again this post said"Classic VH"....love Sam too though)The critics who call Dave a clown would give thier left nut to have his body at 50.I'm 34 and aint nowhere close to that guy's shape.

3.Last of all.. Classic Van halen isn't warmed up to by the average American because this country has become too F*@KING politicly correct.Classic VH represents a lot of personal freedom that many people are now threatened by.
    Not to mention VH never played the "action figures" game.(don't get me wrong,I love KISS).But VH was not about over merchandising.It was the music.No movie soundtracks for VH either.They didn't bend to anyone or anything.They stood on thier own.....they still do ! ! !

www.markfloresmusic.com go to sights.Cool pics of Ed and Dave.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 1,618 Times in 995 Posts

Donor

Nah. Van Halen by and large, classic or Mark II or Mark III, simply hit their peak almost twenty years ago. It's a dated thing, no more or less. Some bands break the rule, some bend it...most fall prey to it.

Kids these days, for the most part, just don't have Van Halen encultured within them. And the music biz is all about the kidz.

Just the nature of generations, is all.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

[QUOTE=Van Squalen]And the music biz is all about the kidz.[QUOTE]

MmmBop!
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 02.24.05 at 09:38 PM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So what you are saying is that VH aren't recognised because they are too damn good?
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic - All of FW
    Last Online

@
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutely spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Flores
    In response to the "no hall of fame" or "Edward disrespected"posting here.Let me say this...Classic Van Halen is being ignored by the status quo of the music industry because,

1.Van Halen was and is a self contained band.Think about it.Does VH need ace producers or songwriters to sell records.NO.VH has never needed the industry to survive.Which means less control over the band.Even though VH has done great for Warner Bros.They like to have thier artist by the balls more often than not.

2.Van Halen is ignored by many musicians of the last 10 years because they are jealous and/or threatened.This one is easy.Most top 40 guitar players right now are fleas on Edward Van Halen's ass. (say it again)Most top 40 guitar players right now are fleas on Edward Van Halen's ass.Even people who go out of thier way to "not do any of that Van Halen stuff"are being influenced by Edward just by virtue of the fact of him being there.By putting so much energy into ignoring Ed.They are reacting to him and his band.Van Halen wasn't a reaction to anything.They were(and are)the natural expression of the genious of the Van Halen brothers and whoever they happen to be working with at the time.Not to mention Dave.(Again this post said"Classic VH"....love Sam too though)The critics who call Dave a clown would give thier left nut to have his body at 50.I'm 34 and aint nowhere close to that guy's shape.

3.Last of all.. Classic Van halen isn't warmed up to by the average American because this country has become too F*@KING politicly correct.Classic VH represents a lot of personal freedom that many people are now threatened by.
    Not to mention VH never played the "action figures" game.(don't get me wrong,I love KISS).But VH was not about over merchandising.It was the music.No movie soundtracks for VH either.They didn't bend to anyone or anything.They stood on thier own.....they still do ! ! !

www.markfloresmusic.com go to sights.Cool pics of Ed and Dave.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Absolutely spot on.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Nah. Van Halen by and large, classic or Mark II or Mark III, simply hit their peak almost twenty years ago. It's a dated thing, no more or less. Some bands break the rule, some bend it...most fall prey to it.

Kids these days, for the most part, just don't have Van Halen encultured within them. And the music biz is all about the kidz.

Just the nature of generations, is all.
    I have to disagree with ya, though you make sense 99% of the time you post.

If this was the case why do so many young bands quote Led Zep as a major influence. To this day if you go through the musicians wanted ads, Led Zep always cops a mention.

I also think Van Halen hit their peak when they recorded the two songs with Dave for The Best Of. GREAT SONGS, classic Van Halen with modern production, even 1984 sounds so dated now because of the production.

Anyway, I find it frustrating that such an awesome band was fucked up by "the walking ego"

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:15 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Default walking egos

That's walking egos - plural. With the exception of Mike, it is hard to believe that such a talented band blessed by so much chemistry cannot go further forward.

MTV played the video for VH3 the day it was released and I believe that is the last time you will see VH on MTV. They have no marketable mass appeal product. About the best you could hope for would be a reality show about Dave on VH1 or Sammy hocking tequila on the cooking channel.

VH is given respect on the radio dial but not at Rolling Stone or the RNR Hall of Fame because they are not hippies. If Eddie had dropped acid and wrote uninteligible bullshit about sticking it to the man they would have journeyman status and would be at every jiveass award show in the business.

At this point, I would simply like some new music and the occasional tour. Nothing fancy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dropped-d
    At this point, I would simply like some new music and the occasional tour. Nothing fancy.
    I'm with you on that one bud.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your right about the biz obsession with youth.But it's rivalled only by thier obsession with money.That's thier fault.But kids today not knowin VH?That's Van Halen's fault.The van Halen brothers have never embraced thier past.Years of inactivity hasn't helped either. www.markfloresmusic.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry guys I'm new here.This should have went with the other post.The reason kids and the general public accept Zeppelin in the fashion not enjoyed by classic VH is...The VH brothers ignore almost anything having to do with the past.Zep,Aerosmith,Alice Cooper,Cheap Trick,KISS,Bon Scott AC/DC,Stones, and on and on do not do this.So new generations discover them.But classic VH won't---

1.Put out a box set with unreleased material on it.
    2.Put out a DVD of old footage
    3.Released a vintage live CD
    4.Made any effort to acknowledge David Lee Roth.

Classic VH is ignored becuase New VH ignores it.It's thier own fault.No matter who is reading this....You know you would love a Classic VH box set.Featuring the Gene Simmons demo.Or the full show of Oakland 81 on DVD.Or a Pro shot 1984 show on CD and DVD......But it aint gonna happen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

If one of the members would have died at an early age, we wouldn't be having this discussion..

Led Zepplin, while original, couldn't hold a candle to VH from a musicianship standpoint. Same for KISS, Rolling Stones, The Who etc...

All JMO, of course..

Last Online

02.02.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH isn't recognized for three reasons:

1) They aren't a bunch of skanky teenage girls.
    2) They write their own music
    3) They play their own music and sing live.

Quoted from the Best Of Both Worlds record, "In short, they really rock."

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Manson
    I have to disagree with ya, though you make sense 99% of the time you post.

If this was the case why do so many young bands quote Led Zep as a major influence. To this day if you go through the musicians wanted ads, Led Zep always cops a mention.

I also think Van Halen hit their peak when they recorded the two songs with Dave for The Best Of. GREAT SONGS, classic Van Halen with modern production, even 1984 sounds so dated now because of the production.

Anyway, I find it frustrating that such an awesome band was fucked up by "the walking ego"
    Oh, I completely agree about the ego fucking up the band, in many ways from many different members. Ego's a wily bitch, she is.

I dunno if VH was hittin' their peak in '96. Me Wise and CGTSNM were largely ignored by the general public, outside of folks like us. They were coming off yet another split with the second singer, and sure, people were excited about the Roth possibility, but I wouldn't define a 'peak' as a 'maybe.'

And Led Zep is in an entirely different category than everybody else. If any one hard rock band is The Standard, the true epitomy of the number one legend of hard rock and roll, it's Zep. I doubt that title will ever be taken from them. Halen's my favorite group of all time, but I'd be fooling myself if I truly thought they were in the same class as Zep. Nobody is. And I mean nobody. Not the Stones, not the Who...Zep are princes among men. They supercede generational bias (so far...dunno about fifty years from now) because they are literally the very top of the heap. Listening to Led Zeppelin isn't just a teenage right of passage anymore...it's a mandate.

Most kids these days would not include VH in their top three classic hard rock cream.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bottagetta

Led Zepplin, while original, couldn't hold a candle to VH from a musicianship standpoint.

[cough]

Ask the boys in Van Halen what they think of that assessment.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I cant agree with that last statement about the musicianship.

Led Zeppelin were amazing improvisors. They'd play 30-40 min versions of Dazed And Confused among other songs and jams they'd improvise LIVE in concert.

While theres no denying Van Halen is an excellent live show(with excellent/amazing musicians) perhaps one of the best shows out there, but they didnt put on epic length concerts full of improvisations.
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!