Register
    Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.08.06 @ 11:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Fiber Optic Side Markers

I've been working on some various guitar mod ideas recently and one of them is fiber optic side markers. I'm planning to install these into a few guitars, including a new 5150 I'm hoping to build in the near future

I've been working on them for awhile but haven't been able to do anything with them in recent weeks so this is not a huge update, but I thought I would put up a few pics. This is a cheapo testing neck in all pics, so please ignore the wood filler and misc holes I've got two gauges of fiber and I'm waiting on a shipment since I ran out of one gauge, so I should have everything up and running pretty soon.

So far, things have been falling into place very nicely and I think I've got everything figured out, including a few different options like wiring it directly to the EMGs so that they light up when you are plugged in (and you can use a switch in the cavity) or using a push/pull pot to turn it on/off instead of a mini toggle.

I personally like blue the best. Red, orange and white also work very well. But the others I have (purple, green, yellow) are not as bright so I'm shopping for some more LEDs.

MJ

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MJ

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Anyone else doing this? If you know they aren't, you should look into getting it patented.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by xaminer
    Anyone else doing this? If you know they aren't, you should look into getting it patented.
    There is a company called fretlord (www.fretlord.com) who is doing something similar. Damn cool concept.

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Well that's interesting... but I'd be concerned with the neck routing weakening it with potential for warpage given you've removed wood at regular intervals across the neck on one side.

Still a cool idea, but no offense kinda a novelty after a certain point in playing my hands and ears know where to go without any road signs... Will these things show up on a brightly lit stage?
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo
    Well that's interesting... but I'd be concerned with the neck routing weakening it with potential for warpage given you've removed wood at regular intervals across the neck on one side.

Still a cool idea, but no offense kinda a novelty after a certain point in playing my hands and ears know where to go without any road signs... Will these things show up on a brightly lit stage?
    Ya know it struck a chord with me (pun intended) when I remember the last rehearsal for the VH 2004 tour. Remember on the TV report it showed that EVH had his frets marked with a large magic marker. This seems like a little more eloquent (and sellable) way to do that, IMHO.

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are other companies doing it, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for guys like you.
    My hat's off to you for your creativity, and I hope this works out well for you.
    Since they're fibre optics you can probably get a good light source from a very low signal LED. If there's enough line signal from the input switch that's the way I'd go, but even a small body embedded pressure button would work too and be almost unoticable.
    The blue is my favorite color too.
    Again, good luck with it.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are a few companies that I am aware of but they all use LEDs in the fretboard and NOT fiber optics. Fretlord also doesn't install them, they are just a thin strip that you attach on the side. Those other companies also charge like $400 per fretboard

[quote]Well that's interesting... but I'd be concerned with the neck routing weakening it with potential for warpage given you've removed wood at regular intervals across the neck on one side.[\quote]
    There's actually a very minimal chance of warpage or damage. The strands I'm using are extremely thin and the routing are only the size of a few hairstrands. Even at the bottom of the fretboard where the strands are wrapped together, it's not very large.

True...some folks like em and some don't, that's cool Yes, they can be VERY bright and you wouldn't have a problem with being able to see them. You can adjust the brightness by using a different resistor on the LED.

There are other companies doing it, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for guys like you.
    My hat's off to you for your creativity, and I hope this works out well for you.
    Since they're fibre optics you can probably get a good light source from a very low signal LED. If there's enough line signal from the input switch that's the way I'd go, but even a small body embedded pressure button would work too and be almost unoticable.
    The blue is my favorite color too.
    Again, good luck with it.
    Thanks! Yeah I'm using a few different LEDs, playing around with different ones and seeing what works best. I've got it worked out so you can power it with the following options:
    -9 volt battery wired to a mini toggle switch (routing required)
    -9 volt battery wired to a push/pull volume control
    -Wired with the EMG style active circuit so it lights up when you are plugged in. You can also put a switch in the cavity to turn them off. I've been testing the power drain of the fiber optics/led along with the EMGs and so far so good.

MJ