Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.12.07 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Alex's drum set in the Jump video

I was just watching the Jump video and I noticed that it appears that there are 4 bass drums in his drum set. I know most of the time he would play with 2 bass drums, so what were the other 2 doing? Just for show?

And how the heck would you play a quadruple bass drumset anyway?

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Some drummer here will know the answer better than I, but if I remember correctly, there were hoses (similar to the ones used to carry air from your clothes dryer out of your house, but smaller in diameter) that connected bass drum a to b, and c to d. Had something to do with sound. I could be way off base here. Also, having a pedal with double drum pounders, or whatever the technical term is, probably isn't out of the question.

However, I'm looking at the Alex Van Halen poster at the Van Halen store, and I don't see any hoses, so I guess unless someone remembers reading the same thing, I'd have to say, don't listen to me.

Maybe the third and forth were just for show. I mean, Alex went from a monster drum set on the OU812 tour to basically a snare, a bass, and a few toms on the F.U.C.K. tour.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    However, I'm looking at the Alex Van Halen poster at the Van Halen store, and I don't see any hoses, so I guess unless someone remembers reading the same thing, I'd have to say, don't listen to me.
    I have seen photos with the tubes between his bass drums. He may have also had some pedals that were chained to beat two drums with two beaters.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

actually....wha I have read...and i'm putting this into a nut shell, they were for show actually but the tubes running from each kick drums were an idea that Al and drum tech tried. They miked the other kicks( the ones on the end)....and they thought that the air flow from his main kicks would sorta transfer and be able to be picked up by the mic..so hat they could mix the 2 together...but it didn't work like they tought but he thought it looked cool so thats why he left it. He didn't have beaters on them to my knowledge. The best kit he had was the OU812 kit. That was beautiful.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

actually...one piece of trivia or what ever you want to call it. On the Jump vid, if you look at the shots of al, on his left, theres a schlitz malt liquor beer on the floor in front of his monitor there... just a little thing I noticed one day...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.05.06 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It just looks purty.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by snare812
    actually....wha I have read...and i'm putting this into a nut shell, they were for show actually but the tubes running from each kick drums were an idea that Al and drum tech tried. They miked the other kicks( the ones on the end)....and they thought that the air flow from his main kicks would sorta transfer and be able to be picked up by the mic..so hat they could mix the 2 together...but it didn't work like they tought but he thought it looked cool so thats why he left it. He didn't have beaters on them to my knowledge. The best kit he had was the OU812 kit. That was beautiful.
    Hey snare, on that OU812 kit, didn't Al have 5 kick drums on that one? I remember reading that he did. I agree that the particular set was gorgeous. I like that one and the FUCK set the best out of all of em.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

hey suckaina3piece. Actually he had 6 kick drums. It was 3 double kicks sets in a circle together. His main kit in front...3 racks one floor, to his right was the simmons with the octobans in front and the other side was i believe 3 or 4 of those funky tubular drums....i don't know what they care called and I have been playing drums for 20 years...frank beard from zz had them on this last tour.... so yeah 6 kicks....with radial horns in them. I have studied al all my life and that by far is the baddest kit he's ever played. the Fuck kit was my least fav. Just didn't dig it...i liked the poundcake and runaround video kits...but thats my opinion....i play the runaround video kit for my set up. one rach 2 floors....holler back for anymore questions...thanks for the response...i can talk about this shit all day..haha

holla

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Ahh I love that kit he had on the RHRN vhs/dvd. Thought the sound was more in your face, kinda like the sound he had on the Fair Warning tour.

That OU812 kit is just crazy though. I couldn't believe how big it was, and he really seemed to enjoy playing it. I wonder if he'll ever break out one of those huge kits for another tour?

"It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

hahaha i'm just not a fan of the 2 racks and one kick look...hahaha if thats stupid nd makes sense......i liked the sound but i have to admit i'm not a fan of the kick sound on rhrn.....just my taste. I loved the 5150 kit. Everyone poopoo's on the simmons but al did it great. I loved how he had the kicks triggered with that low sub punch sound. I have a boot called 7227 from ou812 n tokyo...and the kick sound from the white kick is just unbelieveable....this past tour, he had a nice kit and it sounded sick live....not sure what kit will be next.....i did also dig the video kit of jump.... with the 5 roto toms and te broken mirror glass on the shells...thats a bad ass kit too....holla

haha

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Ahh I love that kit he had on the RHRN vhs/dvd. Thought the sound was more in your face, kinda like the sound he had on the Fair Warning tour.

That OU812 kit is just crazy though. I couldn't believe how big it was, and he really seemed to enjoy playing it. I wonder if he'll ever break out one of those huge kits for another tour?

Cool pics Sucka. The Monsters of Rock drum kit rotated. It was actually three kits in one.

But you're right, the F.U.C.K. touring kit was cool too. I remember it being unveiled in between acts, and I said to myself, wow, that's really small. It was just so wierd seeing Alex play on a small kit, but yet, refreshing. It kind of "fit the mood" of the whole trying to copy John Bonham's sound. It was a "70's style" kit, if you will.
    Last edited by sasquatch; 02.23.05 at 06:56 PM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

hey sas...i agree too...the small kit for the fuck era....loved te poundcake vid kit.....BIG drums...ala bonham...holla back