Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

11.01.15 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

Default Fake backstage passes?

Has anyone ever made or tried to use a fake backstage pass? I know that these days everyone has color printers and to make a fake pass isn't as hard as it once was. But back in early '90s it was easier to get away with such a thing.

I ask because I tried it once with limited success. That is, I got backstage and walked around for about twenty minutes before I got caught. It was just before the show ended. Another two minutes and I would have met the band.

How many say I? ;-)

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I'll invoke my 5th amendment rights...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AllThaStuff
    Has anyone ever made or tried to use a fake backstage pass? I know that these days everyone has color printers and to make a fake pass isn't as hard as it once was. But back in early '90s it was easier to get away with such a thing.

I ask because I tried it once with limited success. That is, I got backstage and walked around for about twenty minutes before I got caught. It was just before the show ended. Another two minutes and I would have met the band.

How many say I? ;-)
    I'll retain the right to not invoke my 5th amendment choice.

So...you missed a significant portion of a Van Halen show just to walk around hallways and empty dressing rooms, just for the off-chance you might brush by the band on their way to their limos?

Er, yeah...limited something or other.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 02.21.05 at 09:23 AM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.03.05 @ 08:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Fake Backstage passes during FUCK tour

So a crafty friend of mine made 2 sets of backstage passes. They were 2 of the same, different colors for different nights. He has tried this with whitesnake and great white shows around 1991, and was able to get backstage and hung out with both bands.

He saw the passes up close from a mtv special. He hand designed them and went to kinkos to have them laminated. They looked really good from about 3 feet away, if you looked at it very closely, you could tell they were fake. He let me wear the 2nd set.

So we tried them out in Mt. View, ca; shoreline ampitheater. We were able to walk anywhere in the venue and show these passes no problem at all!!! The ampitheater has seating, so we walked right up to the first row and stood there for a while. We were then asked to leave because they said, these people paid for seats, why don't you stay backstage and view the show from the side seating area on the stage (which is raised and above Eddie's rig on the side). My friend and I looked at each other not knowing if we should try.

So we decided to go for it; we were going to wander to the backstage area. My friend was going to go first and I was going to walk about 15 feet behind him incase something happened. So he was walking, hit the backstage gate and was let through. I was about 10 feet from hitting the gate myself when I saw him nabbed. Evidently, someone from the crew, who knows all with these laminates, didn't recognize him. He was taken back to the tour manager who asked him repeatedly where he got the passes. They decided not to press charges on him and ejected him from the building.

When I saw him get nabbed, i tucked my passes under my shirt and did an about face. Almost ran away incase they were looking for a 2nd set. Even if they tried to follow me, I ran right into a big pack of people.

A few days later, we met up an he told me what happened. He took the passes that I had to keep as his own souvenir. Pretty crazy though. I saw Van Halen around 7 times on that tour, so it was worth trying to get backstage.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen

So...you missed a significant portion of a Van Halen show just to walk around hallways and empty dressing rooms, just for the off-chance you might brush by the band on their way to their limos?

I've seen a ton of Halen shows, so I might try it. Something kinda Ferris Bueller-ish about the idea. Besides isn't the idea of meeting VH worth the risk?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    I've seen a ton of Halen shows, so I might try it. Something kinda Ferris Bueller-ish about the idea. Besides isn't the idea of meeting VH worth the risk?
    Worth the risk of missing a Halen show? Given how much they appear in public between albums? I doubt I'd run the chance of getting booted just so I could grab a remote and distant chance of possibly standing shoulder to shoulder with one of them, slack-jawed and tongue-tied like a billion other fans have treated them, maybe get a handshake and a howdoyado and that's it (more likely, a brush-off and a grunt)?

I'd rather pay the bucks for a guaranteed meet and greet or soundcheck, if I really wanted to try and meet them or talk to one of 'em. Not fake a access pass. They probably don't like that too much, as seems to be the case from our two examples above.

Maybe I'm just too straightlaced in my old age.

Unchained
    Last Online

At what point did I say I missed a significant portion of the show? I think you've inferred that. I'd seen a few shows on that tour and I knew what song they ended on. I went during that song. In this case, they did an extended encore which is why I didn't meet them ... that time.

It sounds to me like you're critical of anyone willing to take a risk. Do you think that says anything about you?

Last Online

Donor

It sounds to me like you're critical of anyone willing to take a risk. Do you think that says anything about you?
    Risk-taking's part of life. I do it all the time. However, I don't equate my definition of risk with trying to break an established system, only there for a reason and one reason only. There's a lot of weird, fucked up, oddly obsessed people when it comes to celebrities, which is why access is limited. I'm sure you're a perfectly normal guy, but there's plenty out there that ain't...being a celebrity is its own risk.

But like I said before, maybe I'm too goodie two shoes in my elder years. Hey, have at it. I'm sure the next time you try to pass yourself off as an invited guest, you'll hit the jackpot.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Worth the risk of missing a Halen show? Given how much they appear in public between albums? I doubt I'd run the chance of getting booted just so I could grab a remote and distant chance of possibly standing shoulder to shoulder with one of them, slack-jawed and tongue-tied like a billion other fans have treated them, maybe get a handshake and a howdoyado and that's it (more likely, a brush-off and a grunt)?

I'd rather pay the bucks for a guaranteed meet and greet or soundcheck, if I really wanted to try and meet them or talk to one of 'em. Not fake a access pass. They probably don't like that too much, as seems to be the case from our two examples above.

Maybe I'm just too straightlaced in my old age.

Well, I'm just talking about myself in particular. I've seen these guys so many times that it wouldn't be like I was blowing my first show. I think just trying this and taking the risk would be worth it if it turned into a great story to tell later.....or to post here.

And yes, I agree with your last assessment, you straightlaced old fart.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Last Online

Donor

I think my point is, it's sort of up to the band who they want backstage, isn't it?

Which is why I'd prefer to be invited, of course.

So let's get crackin' on that personal RSVP, Ed. I know you're in here, you dastardly devil. You SAY us internet squeebs are losers, but you can't help but read shit about yourself. It's human nature.

So PM me and let's talk shop. Plus, I could use an "Official" backstage pass for the Aerosmith / Halen tour this fall.

Unchained
    Last Online

Risk-taking's part of life. I do it all the time. However, I don't equate my definition of risk with trying to break an established system, only there for a reason and one reason only. There's a lot of weird, fucked up, oddly obsessed people when it comes to celebrities, which is why access is limited. I'm sure you're a perfectly normal guy, but there's plenty out there that ain't...being a celebrity is its own risk.

But like I said before, maybe I'm too goodie two shoes in my elder years. Hey, have at it. I'm sure the next time you try to pass yourself off as an invited guest, you'll hit the jackpot.
    Well thanks, at least, for being cool in your reply. A lot of people would have lost their minds and completely tried to flame me. So in this case we can respectfully agree to disagree with no hard feelings.

Again: this is something I did when I was in my early twenties. We were all, no doubt, a little crazier then. I probably wouldn't try it now for reasons that you've outlined previously.

Cheers,

Rob

Last Online

Donor

Well thanks, at least, for being cool in your reply. A lot of people would have lost their minds and completely tried to flame me. So in this case we can respectfully agree to disagree with no hard feelings.

Again: this is something I did when I was in my early twenties. We were all, no doubt, a little crazier then. I probably wouldn't try it now for reasons that you've outlined previously.

Cheers,

Rob
    No hard feelings, man. To each his own. Sorry if I was abrasive.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

No hard feelings, man. To each his own. Sorry if I was abrasive.

Heyheyheyheyheyheyhey.....lighten up, fucker. No need for that shit here. LIGHTEN UP!! I mean it....I'll report your ass!

<-----
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    Heyheyheyheyheyheyhey.....lighten up, fucker. No need for that shit here. LIGHTEN UP!! I mean it....I'll report your ass!

<-----
    LOL....I'm outta love...again.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

It is probably lost...but there was an awesome story of a guy who got into the dress rehearsal before the last tour (2004), when VH played for friends, family, and a handful of important people...it was on the last board, and probably is gone due to the server switch...but it was something similar to what you are talking about...he made a fake wrist band or something, and nobody questioned him...anyone out there that did this or remembers the story?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon