08.25.16 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 56 Posts

Donor

From the official website:

==================================================
    Autograph - That's the Stuff (1985)

"Blondes In Black Cars"RCA (AFK1-7009)

NOTES
    Michael Anthony contributed background vocals to this song however, his appearance is uncredited.
    The track was mixed and recorded at the Record Plant in Los Angeles, CA.
    Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes (1994)

"Evil Eye"IRS (07777 13222 2 8)

NOTES
    Edward came up with a riff while hanging with Tony Iommi, and the Sabbath guitarist dug the lick so much, he wrote the song "Evil Eye" based upon it. Edward unofficially shares co-writing credit on the song with Iommi, Geezer Butler and Tony Martin, but didn't play on the track and isn't listed in the credits.
    Thomas Dolby - Astronauts & Heretics (1992)

"Close But No Cigar"Giant (24478-2)
    "Eastern Block - (Sequel to Europa and the Pirate Twins, 1981)
    NOTES
    Ed's parts on these songs (he played lead guitar on "Eastern Bloc" and shared guitar duties with Larry Treadwell on "Close But No Cigar") were recorded in a single evening, at 5150.

Dolby asked Eddie for his help after assisting the guitarist with two keyboard tunes during the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge sessions.
    Sammy Hagar - I Never Said Goodbye (1987)

Geffen (24144)
    NOTES
    Sammy owed this solo album to Geffen as part of a deal made between Geffen and Warner Bros. when the vocalist joined Van Halen. Besides a studio album, Hagar also kicked around the idea of recording a live album with various musicians, made up of some of his favorite songs.
    The album was named "I Never Said Goodbye" by Kim Musgrove. She submitted the winning entry in an album naming contest sponsored by MTV. The first printing of the album did not contain the title, though later runs did.
    The album was recorded at A&M Studios in Los Angles, CA and overdubs were done at One Studios in Los Angeles and The Record Plant in Sausalito, CA. Now known as Plant Studios, the studio opened on Halloween 1972.
    ================================================== Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

"Beat It"Epic (38112)
    NOTES
    Edward's involvement with this project was done at the request of Grammy Award winning producer/songwriter Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson - he did not ask for, nor did he receive, any money for his contribution.
    Van Halen as a band was on a short break from their Diver Down tour at the time and after a short series of phone calls from Jones and Ted Templeman, Edward and Donn Landee went to Westlake Studios in Los Angeles, CA to lay down a guitar solo for the song "Beat It" some time between August and November of 1982. It was Landee who convinced Edward to take part in the session. Steve Lukather handled bass and rhythm guitar and Lukather's fellow Toto bandmate Jeff Porcaro played drums on the track.
    Upon arriving at the studio, Edward sat down at the mixing console, with Landee to his right and Jones on his left and listened to a rough mix of the song. Jones explained to Edward where he wanted the solo to occur (over one chord), and Edward responded back with a suggestion that they add a verse section with some chord changes underneath to keep things interesting. Jones liked the idea and Edward recorded two solos, letting Jackson and Jones pick the one they liked better (the second solo was the one they picked). An old Marshall amplifier and cabinet were used, (though not his trusty Super Lead) and the solos were played on Edward's now-retired Charvel Frankenstrat along with an Echoplex.

Edward was also asked to appear in the accompanying Bob Giraldi-directed video (with a cast of 150 extras and filmed at a cost of $160,000), but the remaining members of Van Halen nixed the idea.

"Beat It" won Record of the Year and Best Pop Rock Vocal Performance, Male at the 1983 Grammy Awards. The single was released on 2/3/83 and was certified Gold on 5/9/83 and platinum on 2/14/89 It peaked at #1 on the US charts on 4/28/83 (spending a total of 15 weeks in the Top 20) and at #3 on the UK charts. "Thriller" (released
    11/30/82) is the best selling album in history with worldwide sales in excess of 40 million units. It won Album of the Year at the 1983 Grammy Awards and spent 37 weeks at Number One. It was certified Gold and Platinum on 1/31/83, Platinum 20 times over on 10/30/84, Platinum 21 times over on 5/24/90, Platinum 22 times over on 8/25/93, 24 times over on 9/29/94, and 25 times over on 7/7/97.
    "Beat It" was re-released as a single on "They Don't Care About Us" [Epic Records, 663206 2] in 1996. Made in Australia, the release contained the following tracks: ∑ Anthem of Love (Radio Edit) (7:48) ∑ Classic Paradise Mix (7:55) ∑ Track Masters Radio Edit (3:41) ∑ Beat It (Moby's Sub Mix) (6:11) ∑ Rock With You (Frankie's Favorite Club Mix) (7:45).
    Nicolette Larson - Nicolette (1978)

"Can't Get Away From You"WB (BSK 3243)
    NOTES
    Eddie performed the solo on this song and is listed as (?) in the credits. His appearance on this album was as a favor to Ted Templeman.
    Larson (7/17/52 - 12/16/97) was born in Helena, MT and raised in Kansas City, MO, and released at least four albums

on the Warner Bros. label. She also spent time as a session vocalist with Neil Young and Linda Ronstadt.
    "Nicolette" was certified Gold on 2/27/79.
    Steve Lukather - Lukather (1989)

"Twist the Knife"Columbia (465657-2)
    NOTES
    This was ace session player and Toto guitarist Lukather's first solo record. The album was produced by Lukather and Edward.
    Ed played bass on the track "Twist the Knife", which was a reworking of "Stompin' 8H" - a bluesy instrumental first performed by Edward in 1987 on Saturday Night Live. The song originally got it's start as a left over from the 5150 sessions as "I Want Some Action." One of the riffs also found their way onto Van Halen III, in the form of "Dirty Water Dog."
    Brian May & Friends - Starfleet Project (1983)

EMI (MLP-15014)

NOTES
    On April 21st and 22nd of 1983 Eddie Van Halen joined Brian May, Fred Mandel, Alan Gratzer and Phil Chen in an informal jam session that would later become a three-track mini-LP titled "Brian May and Friends: Star Fleet Project."
    The album was released on 10/31/83 and entered the charts on 11/19/83 and lasted for nine weeks reaching its highest chart position at (US) #125 and (UK) #35.
    Tracks:

Star Fleet (8:02)
    Let Me Out (7:15)
    Blues Breaker (12:53)
    The project was initially inspired by a science fiction show Brian May's son Jimmy May was watching on Central TV in England. Brian was inspired by the ending of the show's theme song, written by Paul Bliss and decided to make a rock version of the song.

"Star Fleet" was recorded on the first day and "Let Me Out" and "Blues Breaker" were recorded on the second day. "Blues Breaker" was inspired by Eddie and Brian's love of Eric Clapton and John Mayall's Blues Breakers album (London, LC 500009).

Originally the recordings were never meant to be released. However, after talking it over with Edward and other friends, Brian released the album.

"Star Fleet" was released as a single with "Son of Star Fleet" (4:24), a shortened instrumental version of "Star Fleet," as a b-side. The single reached its highest chart position at (UK) #65. A promo version of the "Star Fleet" single was also released by Capitol (SPRO-9008) and included the shortened version of "Star Fleet" (4:02) (including a 17 second intro) with an even short version (3:07) on the B-side.

All three tracks were included on a Brian May two-CD set released in 1992 entitled "Back to the Light" (Parlophone, 8 80381 2 6). The first CD contained "Blues Breaker" along with two other May solo cuts, and the second CD (sold separately) contained the other two tracks with an additional May solo cut.

All three tracks were also included on Brian May's "Resurrection" album. This album includes five other May tracks and is out-of-print.
    David Garfield & Friends - Tribute to Jeff (1997)

"If Six Was Nine"Zebra (ZD 44005-2)
    "It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry"
    NOTES
    This import CD by David Garfield & Friends was later released in the US on 8/19/97. It is a tribute album to the late Toto drummer, Jeff Porcaro, who passed away on 8/05/92.
    Jimi Hendrix's "If Six Was Nine" features appearances by Edward, Michael Landau, Will

Lee on bass, Simon Philips on drums and David Garfield. "It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry" features Boz Scaggs, Jim Keltner, Neil Stubenhaus, Richie Hayward, Paul Barrere, Fred Tackett, Larry Klimas, Mike Finnigan, Eddie Van Halen, and David Garfield.
    Private Life

NOTES
    Shadows (1988) WB (25803-2) Produced by Edward Van Halen & Donn Landee
    Private Life (1990) WB (26150-2) Produced by Edward Van Halen & Ted Templeman

Edward co-produced both of these albums for Private Life. Shadows was recorded at his 5150 Studio.
    Rich Wyman - Fatherless Child (1996)

Apricot (53162-0)
    NOTES
    The Little Things
    Piano, Vocals - Rich Wyman
    Drums - Kevin Hupp
    Bass - David Santos
    Guitar Intro - John Golden
    Guitar Solos - Edward Van Halen
    Background Vocals - Lisa Needham
    Blinded by Pain
    Piano, Vocals - Rich Wyman
    Drums - Kevin Hupp
    Bass - David Santos
    Guitar, solos, Bass on chorus - Edward Van Halen
    Background Vocals - Lisa Needham
    The Water Sings
    Piano - Rich Wyman
    Guitars (acoustic/electric) - Edward Van Halen
    Background ooohs - Lisa Needham
    Bass - Andy Johns

Random Notes:

Tracks 1, 3-5, 7-9 and 11 were produced by Rich Wyman
    Tracks 2, 8, 10 and 12 were produced by Ed and Andy Johns
    CD cover photography by Valerie's brother, David Bertinelli. David also did the cover photography for Rich's first effort, Just Might Make It
    Dweezil Zappa - Dweezil (1982)

"My Mother Is a Space Cadet"Barking Pumpkin (AS 1579)

NOTES
    Eddie and Don Landee produced this "My Mother Is a Space Cadet" for the Zappa kids (though both are uncredited). Words by Dweezil and Moon Zappa and Steve Vai. Music by Steve Vai and Dweezil Zappa.
    Ed also played the intro to "My Mother is a Space Cadet" on the then 12-year old Dweezil's very first record. Dweezil's six-member band also featured sister Moon Unit on vocals. The B-side is "Crunchy Water."
    Remembers Dweezil:
    I remember that he called and my Mom said, "There's this guy on the phone who says he's Eddie Van Halen." And at the time there was no MTV, there was hardly any music press radio things where you get to know people's personality or their voice for that matter. So she's like, " See if you can tell if its his voice." So I just listened in for a second when she was talking to him. And what the Hell did I know what he sounded like? I was so amazed at the idea that Edward Van Halen wanted to come over. I was like, "It's gotta be him. It's him." And as it turned out it was and a half hour later he was.

At that time there was nothing cooler in terms of guitar playing and rock music. There was nothing cooler than Van Halen. When out of the blue Edward Van Halen wants to come to your house and you're twelve years old its like a superhero is coming over. You're like, "This is the greatest thing ever." He walked in and he was wearing the jumpsuit type thing that he had from "Women and Children First." He might as well have had the backlit light with the smoke when the door opened up like right out of a movie. As soon as he walked in I made him play "Mean Street" and some other stuff.

I had been playing for nine months. And I remember it was hilarious because I had literally no sense of rhythm. And if I started soloing I didn't know when to come back in to the rhythm part. So he was like, "Well just count it out." I'm like, "What the fuck are you talking about? I can't count and play. I can barely play." (Laughs) He didn't really know how to deal with all of us as twelve year old musicians cause we weren't that good. But it was pretty cool to be working in the studio with him at twelve years old, playing the guitar for nine months or whatever the hell it was at that time. There was nothing cooler.

[ August 26, 2002, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: dirtymovies ]

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.18.15 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

good info! interesting note about Private Life: they were Eddie's little pet project, and he thought they would be big.
    Over 12 years on the links!!
    ROLL DAMN TIDE!!
    Back on Active Duty - HOOAH!!
    First time I heard Unchained, I thought the lyrics were...."Blue-eyed mutha in a slashed white dress!"
    STAY FROSTY FRIENDS!

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

06.26.16 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Private Life open for VH on the OU812 tour and they were way better live than on record.That isn't a knock on Eddie's producing the album ,just my opinion
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have their CD........eBay.....like 3 bucks.......really blows.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

09.28.16 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 836 Times in 514 Posts

Premium Member
    My favorite still has to be the score to the movie 'The Wild Life'. Eddie got really creative and funky with the music behind that movie. When I watch the movie, I spend most of the time listening to the background music.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

06.07.06 @ 04:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Private Life at a club in Malibu in hopes that Eddie would be there. Sure enough he came out and played four tunes! A great night!

Private Life was pretty good live but with a chick fronting the band - NO GO!

Last Online

08.25.16 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 56 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Raldo:
    My favorite still has to be the score to the movie 'The Wild Life'. Eddie got really creative and funky with the music behind that movie. When I watch the movie, I spend most of the time listening to the background music.
    I was one of the few that saw that movie when it was in theaters and I remember being blown away when I realized Eddie was playing in the backround! I eed to get a copy of that flick. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dirtymovies, I have been waiting for The Wild Life to come out on dvd. Since it is a Cameron Crowe movie, he may release it soon with hopefully some bonus Eddie music since he has been releasing alot of his other older movies on dvd recently. Funny movie, and loved Ed's soundtrack.