Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Default Stainless Frets

I am looking at buying a new guitar. What is the difference between regular frets and stainless frets? Do stainless frets affect a guitars tone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasure_dome_5150
    I am stilled pissed at you for taking my Mini Putt crown but I know I will get it back. Thanks for the link.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I had my last refret done I was offered stainless frets for the same cost, but I passed. I'm going out to a jam this weekend, and one of my friends plays a strat with stainless frets. I'll try his guitar and see how they play and sound on Sat. night.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    When I had my last refret done I was offered stainless frets for the same cost, but I passed. I'm going out to a jam this weekend, and one of my friends plays a strat with stainless frets. I'll try his guitar and see how they play and sound on Sat. night.
    Thanks tribb. In most of the links that I looked at the people claimed that they make the tone of the guitar sound brighter. I don't think that I want that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

04.15.08 @ 01:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To me S.S. frets are noticably smoother with bending. They do seem to add a little brightness and squeekyness to the strings. They just make the guitar seem overall a little "livelier" plus they will probably last forever. They seem to provide more sustain as well.
    Keeping the music alive -

http://www.eruptiononline.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wanted to bump this back up. I'm just leaving to meet some guys I'll be playing with tonight, and I made sure to remind the guy with the steel frets not to forget that guitar.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I tried the guitar last night through my own rig. It's a strat with a rosewood board, alder body, fender 57/62 p/u's, and very big 6000 steel frets. I jammed with it through my modded bassman combo for about 1/2 hour, and it didn't seem brighter to me.
    It had a more slippery kind of sound, and had a little more cut, but I wouldn't call it really brighter.
    When I think of overly bright I think of too much top end and this guitar didn't sound like that.
    It might have sounded different with a maple board, but I don't really know.
    My last refret was last july, and my buddy had his done about a month later.
    He was offered the refret at the same cost, same as me cause the luthier had them in stock, but i passed and he was curious, so said ok.
    I couldn't see any wear, and he plays a lot, but I use Dunlops, and there's hardly any noticable wear on mine either.
    We switched guitars for awhile and he didn't notice any real difference either.
    The frets feel the same, and both of us are constantly changing our volume and tone controls without thinking about it as we play so that was probably part of it. Moving your tone control one number back can easily make up for any extra little bit of brightness you might hear,
    Tonewise, I didn't notice any difference. I brought a rose wood and a maple neck strat with me, and my 1970 maple neck strat with dunlop 6000's was actually brighter than his rosewood with steel frets. Again, a little fiddling with the volume and tone knobs and it made no difference.
    At one point during a slow but loud blues tune, I kept a vibrato on the strings without picking, and the volume and tone knobs on 10, so you could hear the string rubbing on the fret. I wanted to see if there was any difference in the amount of drag on the sound and they didn't seem more slippery, or more quiet. The sound was the same as the Dunlops.
    After about 1/2 hour I broke his b string, but I don't believe that was the frets. He just didn't change his strings for about 3 weeks, and it was due to go. He says there's no difference in string breakage.

If you're a player that keeps your volume control in one spot all the time, and either don't have or don't use your tone control then you might notice a difference cause you only have one sound you play with, but if you do that you're missing a lot as a player anyway, so I don't see stainless frets making a difference.
    I dress my own frets though and I'd hate to have to dress those though, if they're as hard as they're supposed to be. I can't see paying 3 times or even 2 times as much, and didn't hear enough of a difference to warrant changing, so if i did it, it would just be as an experiment.
    I refret about every 2 to 2 1/2 years, and on my next refret if I was offered the stailess steels for the same price I might go for it cause they do apparently wear much more slowly, but it's a dicision I'll probably check more into before deciding.
    At this point I wouldn't go out of my way to get them.

I don't know how they would sound in a high gain guitar with an amp like a 5150.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the detailed anwser tribb. I appreciate it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No problem. It's only my opinion cause that's the way they felt to me, but I hope it helped.