Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Last Online

09.17.09 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default tex mex or texas specials

anybody got experience with either? they'd be in a basswood body w/ a maple neck through a fender princeton chorus. i've been unable to find much on them.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

TexMex - Overwound vintage style matched pickup set. Alnico 5 magnets and polysol winding wire provide increased output, sparkling highs and warm bottom with a classic Strat tone. Middle pickup is reverse wound and reverse polarity for hum canceling in switch positions 2 & 4. OEM on the Jimmy Vaughan Strat.

The Texas Specials are very simular but have a slightly different amount of wire overwrap. They were originally designed for the SRV strat and were modeled after the pickups in his "Number One" guitar.

There's just a slight difference in tone between the two and the actual DC resistance is in the same range for both... Neck - 6.2K - 6.5K Middle 6.5K - 6.7K and Bridge 7.75K - 8.0K

Here's a write up from the Fender tech page...

Q. "What is the difference between "Texas Special" Stratocaster pickups and other Strat single coils?"
    A. The "Texas Special" Strat pickups were designed by Fender and selected by Stevie Ray Vaughan for use in his Signature Series "SRV" Stratocaster. They are basically an "over-wound", vintage style pickup. They have about 1,000 more wraps of plain enamel wire and staggered Alnico magnet pole pieces which gives them a hotter output with more mid-range. They are available in a calibrated set with the center pickup being reverse wound and having reverse polarity magnets. This feature creates the humbucking effect in positions 2 and 4 on your 5-way switch.

There is actually only one '57/'62 "Vintage" pickup, and it is used for all three pickup positions. The '57/'62 "Vintage" pickups have staggered magnetic pole pieces like the "Texas Specials", but the center pickup is not reverse wound/reverse polarity, and therefore they will not be hum canceling in positions 2 and 4 of the standard 5-way switch.

The American Standard pickups are similar to the "Vintage" in output, but have level pole pieces, plastic bobbins and polysol wire.

Our Standard pickups, which are made in Mexico and used on our Standard Series guitars, are a bit hotter than the American Standard pickups and use ceramic magnets, steel pole pieces, polysol wire and plastic bobbins.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was in college I played in a blues band..
    We did alota Eric, and BB stuff.... and of course SRV...

I bought a Mexican strat...Maple neck, Sunburst finish and Im not sure what the bod is made of I dont think its Poplar but its not Ash either...

I took out the old pickups and slapped in Some Texas Specials....and then I got crazy cuse I also slapped in a TBX tone booster instead of the old tone knob...

Its uh,.............very "straty" lol....ALota mids very bellish tone in the neck....truly awsome a little overboard but hey...

The only downside is that Texas Specials are noisy....to noisy if you run the gain way up....but you can get a really bad ass Stevie, Eric or Gilmore tone if you work the knobs in the guitar and amp a bit....

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Forgot to mention I prefer the tone of the TexMex's over the Texas Specials they just seem a little bit warmer. Either should sound good though with a basswood body and maple neck.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think they both suck.
    I've tried both and even used Texas specials for a few weeks, trying different amp settings, different guitars, and trying to like them, but they're flat sounding, and have no tone worth speaking of. Nothing like Johnson or Gilmore.
    Tex mex p/u's were actually a little more vintage sounding, and had a bit of growl to them, but they sounded weak at just about all settings.
    They remind me of Jimmy Vaughan's sound, and I think his guitar has some of the worst tone I've heard to date.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Ya know Tribb the problem you may be experiencing with those pickups is you are too far north of the Mason-Dixon line and the magnetic pull of the north pole interferes with those alnicos somethin terrible. Also you can't underestimate the sonic tonal qualities of a belly full of mesquite smoked briskit and Shiner Bock beer...

Also before you installed em did you marinate the guitar body for 2 days in a mixture of cheap beer, garlic, onions, jalopenos, bar-b-q sauce and 2 cups of holy water from the Rio Grande? It does make a difference...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo
    Ya know Tribb the problem you may be experiencing with those pickups is you are too far north of the Mason-Dixon line and the magnetic pull of the north pole interferes with those alnicos somethin terrible. Also you can't underestimate the sonic tonal qualities of a belly full of mesquite smoked briskit and Shiner Bock beer...

Also before you installed em did you marinate the guitar body for 2 days in a mixture of cheap beer, garlic, onions, jalopenos, bar-b-q sauce and 2 cups of holy water from the Rio Grande? It does make a difference...
    Ya know, I thought of that so I reversed the poles before installing them.
    That way the pull should have been toward northern Canada, eh.

Let's see, marinate the guitar body for 2 days: check. Oh shit, wait a minute, no one mentioned jalopenos, and all I could get was water from lake Ontario.
    I'm going down to visit friend in California for a week in April, so I'll try a guitar with Texas specials down there and see if it makes a difference.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the reason i ask is that i'm building a strat, and i'm on the fence on whether to have humbuckers or single coils. yeah i'm definately in the south so that may make a difference. i'm a srv fan but i don't know if that's the sound i wanna go for. i just want something high output with high treble and high bass and lowish midrange. the reason i'm leaning more towards single coils is that i already have 2 humbucker guitars and was kinda lookin for a switch. again, i'm playin through an old princeton chorus.
    Last edited by dirty movies; 02.22.05 at 07:06 PM. Reason: i left out some stuff

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're looking for a low mid p/u then a texas special is not for you.
    They're all mids.
    Sounds like you already have the humbucker sound covered and you're looking for a more traditional strat sound that's more balanced than a high single coil is.
    I'd recommend Seymour Duncan APS-2's, or APS-1's, the 1's having staggered magnets, which will be vintage sounding but a little brighter.
    They're both balanced across the tonal spectrum and sound great in fender amps.
    You have a basswood body, which is low in mids to begin with. A maple neck will give you a brighter tone, but you have to understand that a strat won't give you the bottom that humbuckers will. It has a more vocal balanced tone, so doesn't put out the bottom that a humbucker will.
    If you want a more agressive sound you might have to look at a stacked single like a JB Junior in the bridge.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks yet again tribb

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

and Shiner Bock beer...
    Texas boy. =D :thumbs:
    Your favorite band sucks.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dirty movies....

If you want to sound like SRV then Texas Specials are the way to go no doubt.....

but if you want to be more versatile you can do what most people do...

Use a Humbucker as your Bridge pickup that tends to get rid of the thin squeaky sound people get in a strat and give it a fat crunch.

In the neck position you def. want a sing coil pickup... Stevie used a whole lot of the neck pickup to get that bellish jingling tone that is so common and very popular amoungst blues players and of course for a Hendrix sound as well.

Youll also need a clean amp that spanks. A fender twin with a bright switch is what you need, not just a Marshall. That makes a big dif. He did however, incorperate Marshalls and Dumble amps into his sound. He mixed it up and dont forget to use a Tube Screamer.

It became popular in the 80s to make the "Super Strats" and if you think about it Ed was the first to create it, a pioneer kinda.
    He took a Fender body and slapped a Humbucker in the bridge and he had a single coil pickup in the neck...I dont know if he ever used that pickup. Does anyone know?..(its the little red one after he added red paint to Franky and cut the pickgaurd off.)..and last but not least, a crazy paint job
    I like Eds the most red with black and white stripes...
    and of course you got, tiger stripe, lightning bolts...lets see...skulls...etc...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, as i said earlier i already have two guitars each with humbuckers so i'm looking for a switch. i have a clean fender that spanks, and i don't have a marshall so that part confused me.

as a side note the single coils in the frank weren't wired, and didn't work, they were just put there for show.

thanks for the comments though.