Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

ALL ALBUMS from ALL ERAS!!!
    Favorite VH Song

ALL SONGS from ALL ERAS!
    Last Online

11.25.07 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What happened to the song, "Between Us Two"?

Does anybody know what happened to the song, "Between Us Two"? It was referred to, by Eddie and Sammy, as Van Halen's "Stairway to Heaven"! Was it ever finished? I heard that good ol' Ray Daniels wanted songwriting credits for the song, and the band refused to accredit him, therefore, the song was never released. Has anybody heard it? I hope that the boys will release it one day, alongside tons of other unreleased material, in a box set. If anyone knows about this mysterious song, please let me know. Thank you.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

It was never released by the band. Hopefully it will show up on a bootleg someday like some other unreleased VH songs have.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It was reported several times that it became "Year to the Day" on VH3. I can see that...that song is incredible.
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Ray Daniels didn't want writing credit...their producer did...Was it Ballard or Fairburn? I forget...Sammy wrote in his unreleased book that both he and Ed were pissed about sharing a writing credit with anyone, and it was the one thing they had bonded on in a looooong time.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Last Online

09.30.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Edward probably recorded over it with some tuba playing after his second bottle of wine of the day. Bottoms Up!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Guitar World: At some point, it was suggested that Glen Ballard collaborate with you. What was your reaction to that?
    Hagar: I had a couple of talks with Eddie about that around the first of June, when I was at my bar in Cabo. The first time, Eddie said that Glen had some great ideas for "Between Us Two" and would like to explore them with me. Well, I had a lot of respect for Glen Ballard, so I was quite interested in seeing what type of lyrical treatment he'd come up with for the song. The second phone conversation I had with Eddie, he said Glen had rewritten the entire song, and that maybe he should fax the lyrics over to me to see what I thought. I said, "Eddie, you mean Glen wrote all new lyrics for the song?" He said yes. I asked him what the song was about, and he said Glen had written about an escaped convict from a mental institution. I paused for a moment to catch my breath and told him, "That's the lyrical treatment Glen came up with? First of all, that's a fucking insult. The lyrics I wrote for that song are great, and for you to go to somebody else I've never even met and say he can write lyrics to my song sucks. Fuck you! He can sing them too!" I then slammed the phone down.

GW: Did you hear back from Eddie?

Hagar: He called me right back and said, "No, no, no, man. Never mind. I didn't know you felt that way about the song." He then asked me if I would come up to Los Angeles and re-sing the song, with Glen producing. Although I thought "Between Us Two" was good the way I sang it with Bruce Fairbairn, after I had lived with the idea for a while, I wanted to see what Glen Ballard could do. I thought to myself that, yeah, maybe I could sing it better, so I asked Eddie for Glen's number so I could call him.

GW: Was Bruce Fairbairn originally tapped to produce the next disc, or was he going to co-produce it with Glen Ballard?
    Hagar: Bruce was tapped to produce the next Van Halen record alone. However, problems arose during the recording of "Between Us Two." When Bruce came in and saw all the friction between us during the Twister project, Eddie tried to manipulate him into his corner, but that ended up backfiring on him.

GW: The song "Between Us Two" had become a major sticking point in the band. Why?
    Hagar: We had several people who heard the song tell Eddie and I that "Between Us Two," or "Closer To You" - the original song title I'd come up with - was going to be Van Halen's "Stairway To Heaven." Bruce had also heard this talk, knew we had a great song on our hands, and had his lawyer call Ray Danniels up and say, "Well, as far as I know, there were only three people in the room when that song was written, and it was Sammy, Eddie and Bruce. He wants a third of that song!"

GW: And that didn't sit well with you and Eddie?
    Hagar: Exactly. And this problem arose simply because Eddie had told Bruce that he could co-write lyrics. Now I, of course, being a little bit stubborn and somewhat incensed about this co-writer thing, told Eddie that I wasn't going to sing anybody else's lyrics unless they were better than mine. I fought him on this, and when Bruce tried to claim that he helped co-write that song, he and Eddie really bumped heads.

GW: So what happened?
    Hagar: You have a situation where Eddie is trying to manipulate Bruce, and Bruce is trying to manipulate the band. He thought that by putting a little pressure on me, he could say he co-wrote lyrics to the song and I'd back him up on his claim. Bruce fought hard on this point and he got fired because of it.

GW: You mean you and Eddie finally agreed on something?
    Hagar: Yeah, we did. I was the main guy that wanted Bruce fired. I said to Eddie, "This motherfucker is trying to get in on this song." We totally agreed that Bruce was an asshole and had to go. The next thing I know, Eddie's got Glen Ballard in the studio and he's trying to do the same thing, write lyrics to that song. So who knows, Bruce Fairbairn might not be that guilty here.

GW: What was your first conversation with Glen Ballard like?
    Hagar: The first thing I said was, "Glen, what in the hell do you think you're doing walking into this band and rewriting lyrics to a song I wrote?" Mind you now, when I said that, Eddie had flat-out told me that Glen didn't like any of the lyrics I'd written on "Between Us Two." Glen goes, "Hold on Sammy, what are you talking about? Eddie and Alex asked me to write new lyrics. They're the ones that said they didn't like the lyrics you'd written to that song, and that you weren't happy with them either. So, they asked me to take a shot at it. Hey, I don't care about this. If this is what's happening, never mind, I'm out of this project. Don't put me in the middle of it." Glen wasn't pissed at me, he was pissed at those guys.

GW: Eddie says he told you that if you didn't show up at the 5150 studios by six o'clock the next day to work on the song, you shouldn't bother coming back?
    Hagar: Eddie did tell me that, all right, and no I did not show up the next day at the studio like he demanded. My wife had just gone through a difficult birth, and I was staying home to take care of her, period. He had the audacity to tell me on the phone that if I didn't show up in L.A. to re-sing "Between Us Two," he was going to assume that I had quit the band, and that they were going to look at their options - something along those lines. Eddie was pissed because I wouldn't re-sing a line that he didn't like. This cat was trying to get me to quit Van Halen that day. I called up Ray Danniels and told him I wasn't going to fly down to Los Angeles from San Francisco. I said, "Ray, I'm not going anywhere. You know we shouldn't even be working in the studio anyway, and I don't like the fact that Eddie still doesn't think that song is right when I think it is." That's the sad state of affairs my relationship with Eddie had fallen into. He didn't care that my wife was at home recuperating from a difficult breach birth. Al he cared about was a damn line in a song that he didn't think sounded good. Believe me, Eddie knew what he was doing when he issued me that ultimatum. He wanted me to quit Van Halen right then and there. I didn't do it.

GW: You obviously weren't going to show up in Los Angeles because you needed to be with your wife. What happened after that?
    Hagar: Ray called me the next day and said, "Man, this is really bad. I really think you should get on a plane. I don't care how difficult it is for you. I know you have the baby thing going, and even if you just stay for a couple of hours, I think you should." As far as I was concerned, my family took precedence over Eddie's demands. Yeah, I may have pulled a prick move by not showing up when Eddie told me to, but I had very good reasons. Besides, nobody gives me an ultimatum. I'm not the type of guy you do that to.

GW: Were there any repercussions from your actions?
    Hagar: At our band meeting on May 1, I almost got into a fist fight with Alex when he jumped up and said, "You fucking insulted my brother! He told you to come down here, and you didn't come - just to show your power and pull this trip on him." When I now think back to those three, Eddie, Alex and Ray, sitting in the studio, looking at the clock to see if I'd show up, I know they had already discussed the return of David Lee Roth to the band. I know they had already thought of Gary Cherone as a spare part, in case something unexpected happened. I know for a fact that Eddie and Alex had already been in the studio with Sass Jordan, telling her that if she didn't have tits, she would be the new lead singer in Van Halen. That conversation took place in February! Hell, she heard all the new stuff before I ever had a chance to.

GW: What were the circumstances surrounding the phone call you got from Eddie early that Sunday morning - the call that led to your decision to leave Van Halen?
    Hagar: It started Saturday afternoon, when there was a message on the machine from Eddie that went, "Hey Sam, we've got to talk. We've got to talk." When I heard his tone of voice, I said to myself, "Oh man, there's that voice again. Eddie's fucked up about something. There's something really on his mind, he's paranoid, or else he's really worried." I tried calling him back later that evening, around five, and got his machine. I said I was ready to talk.

GW: Do you know what was bothering Eddie, exactly?
    Hagar: The Tuesday prior, I had left the studio really pissed off because I had just found out that I'd been tricked into working on "Between Us Two," which I first thought was going to be included on the Twister soundtrack. When they said they were saving it, I assumed they meant for our next album. When I found out the song was intended for Best of Volume 1, I was furious. At the time, Eddie thought parts of the song weren't finished. I didn't care. We finished the tune, and when I was leaving the studio to go back home, Eddie said, "You can't go, the song ain't done. It ain't done!" I looked at Eddie and said, "Glen Ballard, the second producer you've worked on this song with, says it's great. That's it. I'm jumping on a plane." Eddie says that Glen said something else. That's bullshit. Glen Ballard looked me straight in the eye before I left and said, "This song is absolutely great. Release it because it's a smash!" That's all I needed to hear.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

continued:

GW: Eddie wasn't satisfied that Glen Ballard had given the song a thumbs-up?
    Hagar: You would think so, but he wasn't. So, getting back to the phone call, Eddie calls my home at 9 o'clock in the morning the next day, which incidentally was Father's Day, and I hear his voice on the answering machine. "Hey Sam, come on, pick up, I know you're there." I picked up the phone and Ed said, "Oh man, I'm so frustrated. Why do you always have to be a prick? You never do anything anybody asks you to do." I said, "Ed, what are you asking me to do?" He said he wanted me to sing the song again. I told him I'd already re-sung the song twice, that that was the best I could do. I thought it was great. Eddie again said he didn't think so. Finally, I remarked, "Just because you don't think the song sounds right doesn't mean that I'm going to re-sing it. If I didn't think it was good enough, I'd be glad to re-do it." Eddie then said to me, "You see, you're always thinking of yourself. You never do anything that I ask of you. You've always been a solo artist, you might as well go back to being a solo artist." I paused for a moment and said, "Are you telling me to go back to being a solo artist." And then Eddie said, "Yeah, besides, I've been working with Roth. You got me so frustrated the Tuesday night that you left, I went over and got Roth. We've been working together, and we've gotten along good. It's been going great, and I think that we're just going to continue." The only thing I could say was, "Hey Ed, thanks a lot!"

GW: So the moment of truth had finally arrived!
    Hagar: Yes, and it took me a few moments to regain my composure. Once I did, I said to him, "You're telling me that you've been working with David Lee Roth!" As I said that, I was looking at my wife and she shot up in bed like she'd seen a ghost. I said to him, "You, behind my back, are working with Roth. You fucking piece of shit!" Eddie replied to me, "Well, Sammy, you've frustrated me so much, you won't do anything I ask you to do."

GW: Eddie was really hung up over that song, wasn't he?
    Hagar: It was ridiculous. I'd had enough of his ranting about it. I said, "Eddie, first of all, you never asked me to do anything. You're trying to get me to do something on a song I think is great, that Glen Ballard thinks is great, but you don't? Forget it!" I told Eddie that if I heard a guitar part that I didn't like in a song, he wouldn't change it no matter how much I objected to it, if he thought it was right. "Oh no, man, that's not right. I'd do anything you ask. I'd even play the guitar standing on my head, anything, just ask." Well, I wasn't getting anywhere with him, and I was really pissed at this point. Finally I said, "Eddie, this Roth thing, fuck you! If what you two are doing is better than anything you and I can do, I'll blow you both!" To which he remarked, "Well, I wouldn't say that man, this stuff is pretty good."

GW: Is that exactly what went down between you and Eddie that morning?
    Hagar: That was the way things went down between the two of us. My answering machine picked up the whole conversation. Ray Danniels and Alex are going around saying I quit because of what Eddie told them. Who knows, they may actually believe I called Eddie up and said I was quitting to go back and become a solo artist. I'm even willing to give Al a little bit of credit here: he may have actually bought what his brother Eddie is now telling him. But you know what? Isn't it funny that Eddie is standing all alone in the middle of the room saying "Everyone is lying but me." I've never met or spoken to David Lee Roth, yet it's rather ironic that even he's saying Eddie's lying about things. I'm saying he's not telling the truth, yet Eddie insists that the two of us are lying! You be the judge.

Last Online

07.22.12 @ 06:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    continued:

Finally I said, "Eddie, this Roth thing, fuck you! If what you two are doing is better than anything you and I can do, I'll blow you both!" To which he remarked, "Well, I wouldn't say that man, this stuff is pretty good."
    UH, Sammy, I think you owe Ed and DLR a blow job.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

God, hard reading all that again.

Glad it's water under the bridge now.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 02.21.05 at 04:09 PM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What an interview! THANKS for posting!
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Warning Rocks!
    UH, Sammy, I think you owe Ed and DLR a blow job.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

If there's a miracle and a new VH album is released, do you think they'll release this song? If Sam insists it's VH's best, they've got to release it you'd think.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

As much as I don't mind Sammy being back because we get new music, he always says whatever his current project is, is the best. After 5150, "This is the best stuff I've done." (correct!). Then after Balance, "This is the best album we've done so far" (debatable I guess). Talking about Learning to See, "I think this is the best thing I've ever done with Van Halen." (I don't think so).

He's just trying to sell the music.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe
    As much as I don't mind Sammy being back because we get new music, he always says whatever his current project is, is the best. After 5150, "This is the best stuff I've done." (correct!). Then after Balance, "This is the best album we've done so far" (debatable I guess). Talking about Learning to See, "I think this is the best thing I've ever done with Van Halen." (I don't think so).
    He's just trying to sell the music.
    as with EVERY band that releases a new product...
    Would you ever expect anyone to say, "Yeah the album is coming out next Tuesday... It's good, but not great... I mean, we worked hard on the songs and shit, but man, the last album is the best work we've ever done... This new release, I don't know - take it for what it is"

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Yeah Sammy said that Learning To See is the best song he ever did with Van Halen. It wouldn't make my top 20 VH songs! So I doubt Between Us Two is VH's Stairway To Heaven. If it was that great, I am sure they would have released it by now. They could have released it on The Best Of Both Worlds last year.
    Last edited by YankeeRose; 02.22.05 at 10:56 AM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!