Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Eruption AFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.20.00
    Location
    Rumford, R.I. USA
    Posts
    868
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes
    208
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

    Default EVH pick-up evolution

    Ok, Ed claimed he used a pick-up from an ES-335 Gibson in his original guitar. But he rewound it by hand so it probably had more output. Then in '79 he used a Dimarzio Super Distortation. Said he didn't like it. Too much output. Then in '83 he claims to be using a Seymour Duncan '59. Well I have a guitar with a '59 in it. At the time(early nineties) I thought his amp gave his sound that growl as I found the '59 to be a great pick-up, but it didn't drive a tube amp like an EBMM EVH, as I later learned. The EVH EBMM comes out and has a really hot (high output) pick-up.

    I think he liked the super distortation and used it for years, just told us he didn't like it.claimed to like wide, thin necks for years but none of his signature axes are even close to that description) During r&d for the EBMM, it became evident the pick-up in the Frankenstrat was "broken" and that's the reason they had difficulty recreating it. Two of the coils were shot, or something like that. I don't believe he used the Duncan '59. If he did, it was not for very long, or he rewound that one two.

    Then the Wolfgang comes out. Another hot pick-up. He claimed he liked it better than the EBMM pick-up. More like the pick-up in the EBMM was the property of EBMM and could not be copied for Peavey or they would get sued, and lose.(Peavey) Both sound good. I like them both very much.

    So now we have the Charvel overpriced EVH. Anyone play one, or even see one? I would like to know what the pick-up sounds like. I'm betting it sounds like the EBMM. Maybe not so much bass.

    So Ed does not want anyone to really know what he was doing until it was time for us to pay to get his sound. Can't blame him, everyone was trying to get his tone. I'm happy to pay to get it personally. But I want to know if he really has just continued to change over the years or mislead us. His tone was always there, regardless of pick-up.

    Can't wait to hear the Charvel!

    Hope this does not sound like I'm bashing him or his tone. They both rule! Just looking to discuss the new pick-up, and the old ones too.

  2. #2
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.26.05
    Posts
    57
    Last Online

    11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Not sure I havnt had the privalage of playing one or seeing one for that matter....(the Charvel)

    I dont own a EBMM or a PV Wolf... but I love to noodle with them in the store, I also havnt played the EBMM but its cousin the Axis...

    I think that both the necks feel very simular (PV and EBMM) no finish maple...and they arnt wide and flat necks at all...you want that buy a Ibanez..

    I find that they are round like a bat...and a little narrow....anyone else think so?


    Oh yeah and what woods are the bodies made of?

  3. #3
    On Fire Pleasure_dome_5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.15.05
    Location
    lincolnshire. England
    Posts
    326
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

    LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

    03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I think that both the necks feel very simular (PV and EBMM) no finish maple...and they arnt wide and flat necks at all...you want that buy a Ibanez..
    I find that they are round like a bat...and a little narrow....anyone else think so?
    Oh yeah and what woods are the bodies made of?
    I own an axis and a wolfgang, the axis beats the wolfgang in every way, the axis is just a superior instrument IMHO, the neck on the wolfgang is slightly wider than the axis, but still nice. The bodies are basswood.

    I think AFU meant Ed used to like thin necks but none of his signature guitars have them, not that the necks on his signature axes are thin.

    The axis's/ebmm evh's neck are supposed to be computer generated copies of the kramer 5150, so i doubt he liked flat thin necks.......... just my opinion, i could be wrong
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

    "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson


  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that, when it comes to his gear, he basically isn't truthful.

  5. #5
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.26.05
    Posts
    57
    Last Online

    11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default dont complain....

    Hey Guys I dont mean to sound rude but hey lets not complain....

    I think we should enjoy what Eddie has brought to the guitar playing table. Lets face it modern guitar and ESPECIALLY guitar playing in the 80s was totally shapped by Ed. I give him all due respect..

    As far as him lieing, well...........who knows...and who really cares..
    Its HIS sound. He used to have to play with his back to the crowd just so guys wouldnt copy his taps or licks....
    I bet hes gota be super frustrated with people instead of congratulating him on his musical contributations always asking him guitar spec questions..

    I enjoy Van Halen and I enjoy what Ed as a guitar player has done...but Im not trying to capture some of his magic by trying to copy his gear.....I think if you guys ever get bored or frustrated of trying to mimic Ed try listening to some very different players and styles..you will enjoy VH all the more that way.

    I hope that didnt sound to harsh.

    Man I miss playing in a band..... he he

  6. #6
    Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.03
    Posts
    2,442
    Last Online

    01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that, when it comes to his gear, he basically isn't truthful.
    I tend to agree cyberfiddl. Ed's been constantly ask since the 70's "what's your rig consist of"? "pickups,effects etc" "how do you get the tone on ? " It's an age old question. Although Ed's talked about some of the ingredients in the recipes of his sound , I don't believe he's ever revealed the full true story. Nor should he...period. Hell, in the early years he used to turn away from the crowd so they couldn't see how he was playing certian parts. I seen him do that on a few parts during the VH2 tour and WACF tour. He would turn back around and just smile at us.
    Even on the 2004 your, I have still yet to figure out what amps he used.
    5150? Marshall? Soldano? or ?
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

    February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

  7. #7
    Hot For Teacher riddick's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.03.03
    Age
    39
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    300
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Human's Being
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotrcm
    I enjoy Van Halen and I enjoy what Ed as a guitar player has done...but Im not trying to capture some of his magic by trying to copy his gear.....I think if you guys ever get bored or frustrated of trying to mimic Ed try listening to some very different players and styles..you will enjoy VH all the more that way.

    I hope that didnt sound to harsh.
    Agreed, i think guitarist are too busy trying to copy their heroes too much, gear wish, techquie, etc etc. When they should be sounding like themselves, they can copy techquie froms heroes but trying to take it to the next level.

    Theres many differnet and great styles out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by AFU
    Ok, Ed claimed he used a pick-up from an ES-335 Gibson in his original guitar. But he rewound it by hand so it probably had more output. Then in '79 he used a Dimarzio Super Distortation. Said he didn't like it. Too much output. Then in '83 he claims to be using a Seymour Duncan '59. Well I have a guitar with a '59 in it. At the time(early nineties) I thought his amp gave his sound that growl as I found the '59 to be a great pick-up, but it didn't drive a tube amp like an EBMM EVH, as I later learned. The EVH EBMM comes out and has a really hot (high output) pick-up.

    I think he liked the super distortation and used it for years, just told us he didn't like it.claimed to like wide, thin necks for years but none of his signature axes are even close to that description) During r&d for the EBMM, it became evident the pick-up in the Frankenstrat was "broken" and that's the reason they had difficulty recreating it. Two of the coils were shot, or something like that. I don't believe he used the Duncan '59. If he did, it was not for very long, or he rewound that one two.

    Then the Wolfgang comes out. Another hot pick-up. He claimed he liked it better than the EBMM pick-up. More like the pick-up in the EBMM was the property of EBMM and could not be copied for Peavey or they would get sued, and lose.(Peavey) Both sound good. I like them both very much.

    So now we have the Charvel overpriced EVH. Anyone play one, or even see one? I would like to know what the pick-up sounds like. I'm betting it sounds like the EBMM. Maybe not so much bass.

    So Ed does not want anyone to really know what he was doing until it was time for us to pay to get his sound. Can't blame him, everyone was trying to get his tone. I'm happy to pay to get it personally. But I want to know if he really has just continued to change over the years or mislead us. His tone was always there, regardless of pick-up.

    Can't wait to hear the Charvel!

    Hope this does not sound like I'm bashing him or his tone. They both rule! Just looking to discuss the new pick-up, and the old ones too.
    This pretty much sums up ed's pick up evolution.

    I heard a romour years ago that Ed couldn't choose between The Dimarzio Tone Zone and the pick up he create to put in his Musicman.

    There's also another rumour that the shape of the EVH was already design and created bofore Ed even made the move to Musicman and was called the Axis, but Ed saw the design and used it for his Musicman. Notice the Axis name on the headstock on some of Ed's Prototypes.

    IMHO, ed's greatest tone came from the 91-95 area, the Musicman and 5150, and the effects he was using, it sounded killer. Then he started using Wolfgangs, then his sound turned to poo. And l started loosing interest.

    Scott.
    Last edited by riddick; 02.22.05 at 05:20 PM.

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,945
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Likes
    288
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    When he used the Super Distortion, although I'm not sure he recorded with it, he put an alnico magnet in it, I think an Alnico 2 to give it a warmer vibe.

    He also went through a short period on tour where he used one coil from a '59 and one coil from a Custom, but with an alnico magnet. This put it somewhere between a PAF and a Custom in terms of resistance, which is around 11k. This is what they refer to as the "Hybrid" over at the Duncan forums.
    Last edited by Majestic; 02.23.05 at 04:07 PM.

  9. #9
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.26.05
    Posts
    57
    Last Online

    11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default He he

    Scott....


    Poo is a technical term now.....ha ha

  10. #10
    Hot For Teacher riddick's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.03.03
    Age
    39
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    300
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Human's Being
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotrcm
    Scott....


    Poo is a technical term now.....ha ha
    I've been using that term to describe his sound for a while. hehe.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Evolution vs. Creation
    By Wray in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 04.04.17, 10:10 PM
  2. The Evolution Of Dance.
    By Leo Van Newhouse in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07.13.06, 02:36 PM
  3. In Kentucky, you can pick a Booger, but you can't pick a metrosexual
    By Phatie in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05.17.06, 02:12 PM
  4. The evolution of the VH sound (really long)
    By ross in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02.25.05, 04:12 PM
  5. Van Halen: A study in evolution
    By naturallywired in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.04.01, 10:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •