Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default I SUCK!

Just read the title and you'll see why im so pissed!

I just spent little over 2 hours playing the same dam thing! I feel like I cant go anywhere else when it comes to my playing. And when I do play, I play the same shit over and over again.

Whenever I watch LWAN or G3 or anything like that, I watch them play and then I think I know what Im doing but when I go to play, its just the same useless noise all over again. Its like I see what they are playing but I cant hear it.

It doesnt help that I dont know ANY chords because I was never taught any chords and I cant read music worth shit so I'm screwed either way. Sometimes, when im "playing" to hendrix or van halen, my parents will walk in and say that Ive got a real ear for music and they say that I can hit every song note for note but the real truth is, I dont know what im playing most of the time. For instance, I'll pretend that im playing unchained or little wing and I wont know what im playing.

I cant seem to find any certain positions I like that really fit my hand cuz I will try some major chord positions and when I move up or down the fretboard, my fingers move and then I screw up the chords then its done (It doesnt help that my fingerboard radius is 16" which is just shit for playing anything.) And when im doing some sort of solo, its just the same up and down string bending with high notes. No flow, no groove, no nothing! I had to teach myself basic scales but I dont even know if im doing that right either!

Im seriously at the point where im about to throw in the towel because I cant hear any of the notes in the head and that my idols are playing and I cant learn scales or chords because I dont understand any of it. I dont understand how to put chords together, I dont understand how to do arrpegios or any of that stuff, I dont understand blues scales. I DONT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! The only thing I understand is how a guitar works and how it goes together but unfortunatley, there isnt a place within a 100 miles where I can actually learn to start my own business building guitars.

My real plan is to start my own guitar company (Viper Guitars) and hopefully get some success out of it. Ive made well over 200 models on here and on drawings and thats the only thing I understand. I understand the wood sound and properties, I understand wiring, I understand how trems and stop tails work but I wont be able to start my business until I am well out of college so all I have is nothing!

Maybe its because, I'm the only one in my family who has any musical talent. I never played instruments as a kid and I always failed my music classes in elementary because I never understood the notes. But when I look at Zakk, Eddie, Randy, Jimi - they all played instruments as kids and they had the fuckin knowledge and they knew what they were doing.

Its kind of ironic, I have 4 guitars, 2 amps, 2 pedals and a shit load of cables and I dont know how to play any of them...
    Last edited by Thai Boxer 9901; 02.18.05 at 05:25 PM.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like I,m not the only one, If I could play like Vai or Ed, I,m sure as SHIT wouldn't be here on the computer typing about it!! You'd be buying my c.d.s.......
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

aaaaahhhhh this brings back memories ......

time my young freind , time and patience.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Thai, reading your post, something comes to mind. I read an article in a gutiar mag....several..........years ago. A young Edward Van Halen stated that half the time he didn't know what he was playing, or even doing. If I remember correctly, Ed basically said that he falls down the steps, and is lucky enough to land on his feet. Seems I remember that Ed didn't really know scales, but he basically improvised. And because of that Ed is the player he is. He just played what came from his head and his heart.

Stay with it bro................NEVER GIVE UP!!! It'll happen to ya!

HH <----------The Doctor Is In----------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

dude I used to be like you, then you know what? one day I stopped trying to be Eddie, Satch, Vai, Hendrix, and Vaughn and I played the shit that made me happy. And I'll tell you what, IT makes all the difference in the world. It dosent mean you stop practicing or trying to get better, it just means that you have to play within yourself. If all you can play is basic power chords then try to play them the best you can and then go from there. And another thing is , Its good to not be happy with your playing because it causes you to keep learning. Like Eddie always says, "if sounds good to you, then it is good" Those guys didn't get better by quitting, they practiced their asses off untill they got to that level.

I can't read music, dont know scales by name, never really had any lessons. I didn't know the names of the chords I was playing untill I joined my first band and they showed me. I just Played music with other people. thats the fastest way to learn new shit. And you'll be amazed at how the creative Juices flow when you have someone else to play off.

You know, I am one of the few guitarists in my city that I ever hear take a solo (for our type of music) and I get all sorts of praise from people at our shows. And I'll be the first to admit that I suck. But, you can't be afraid to try. Do I fall on my ass? hell yes! (especially when I'm drinking) but you know what, more times than not, I end suprising myself and my band with something great. 99.9% of the people in the room don't even know that you fucked up, or aren't that good. If it works in the context of what you are doing then, who cares. The only people who are going to give you shit are the washed up shredders who are jealous because you're up there on stage and they're not.

And, while good equipment helps, its not what makes you better. But, If what you're playing isn't right for you then you need to find something that is. If you have 4 guitars that are shit, then trade them or sell and get One that is just right for you. (play as many as you can get your hands on you'll know when you find THE ONE) but, dont buy one because Eddie plays it or Randy played it. buy one that YOU LIKE and YOU ENJOY and SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU.

The reason why guys like Ed, and Satch, Vai, Zakk etc. are so special, is because they are truely extraodinary at what they do. Not everyone can play like them, just like not everyone could be Micheal Jordan or Wanye Gretzky.
    No one ever got better by quitting, just remember that.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.28.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Thai

Wow, it sounds like you're rushing things along way too fast. You say that you don't know any chords and scales. Let's see, if I were to pick up hockey, I would probably start by learning how to skate on a pond somewhere and when I got better I would learn how to stick handle and shoot. When I would learn all of this I would try to join a team and finally play in a real game. What I'm trying to get at here Thai is that you're jumping over a lot of important steps.

I learned how to play guitar when I was 20 years old(I'm 30 now) and let me tell you, it was not easy. I would listen to Van halen CD's and dream of playing along, but I couldn't because I did not know any chords. So what I did is I purchased every guitar magazine I could get a hold of and I learned slowly how to play some easier songs(believe me, a lot of shit you hear on the radio is simple to play and it beats just learning basic chords on their own).

By playing these simple songs, I learned a whole bunch of chords but at some point you will have to sit down with a chord chart and learn some of these chords. A good way to do this is by learning your open chords. What worked really well for me was learning 3 chords and playing them in a progression while watching T.V, this way my eyes were off the fretboard.

Eventually Thai, you will get better and the time will come to find other musicians to play with. Playing with other musicians will help your timing and musical ear (other musicians tend to point out when you're out of key and such).

I think the moral of the story here is that it will take a lot of practice and time before you will get to the level of your guitar idols. But here's the good news, it is possible. I have only been playing for ten years and I'm already in a band and we have been approached for a record deal, you can check out our music on www.soundclick.com/ouest. So everytime you feel down and out about your playing, take a listen to my music(it's no van halen) and think that I've only been playing for 10 years and look where it's gotten me.

Don't give up

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

It's tough for me to pity you, when there are so many instructional videos and web sites available. Especially "Metal Method", "Learn to Burn: Van Halen", etc.

In the 80's, there was *barely* an excuse for being clueless, but now there is NO excuse. Period.

Steve Vai has a 280 lb. fat guy touring with him that plays his licks note-for-note. If that stubby-fingered slob can do it, so can you.

Sorry, bro. Talentless oafs who aren't skilled enough to clean their ears are playing "Wild Thing". If you can't hack that, then quit. If you're making the same mistakes over & over, then you're a flat-out goofball.

That's like slamming your head into a wall repeatedly. That's pretty much how I'd define a goofball.......someone who makes the same mistakes repeatedly.

If you were a beginner, and being a decent guitar player was truly a priority, you'd be playing for at LEAST an hour EVERY day, regardless of age, or amount of babies.

To be honest, it sounds like you're not really a guitar player.....you're really more like a "fan of the icon that is known as The Guitar".

If you don't have the influences around you, then you need to make them come to YOU by purchasing/subscribing to videos/websites.
    Last edited by Majestic; 02.18.05 at 07:14 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    It's tough for me to pity you, when there are so many instructional videos and web sites available. Especially "Metal Method", "Learn to Burn: Van Halen", etc.

In the 80's, there was *barely* an excuse for being clueless, but now there is NO excuse. Period.

Steve Vai has a 280 lb. fat guy touring with him that plays his licks note-for-note. If that stubby-fingered slob can do it, so can you.

Sorry, bro. Talentless oafs who aren't skilled enough to clean their ears are playing "Wild Thing". If you can't hack that, then quit. If you're making the same mistakes over & over, then you're a flat-out goofball.

That's like slamming your head into a wall repeatedly. That's pretty much how I'd define a goofball.......someone who makes the same mistakes repeatedly.

If you were a beginner, and being a decent guitar player was truly a priority, you'd be playing for at LEAST an hour EVERY day, regardless of age, or amount of babies.

To be honest, it sounds like you're not really a guitar player.....you're really more like a "fan of the icon that is known as The Guitar".

If you don't have the influences around you, then you need to make them come to YOU by purchasing/subscribing to videos/websites.
    Dam, that was harsh!

I have purchased 3 of the learn to burn videos and those have helped a little but everytime I watch em, I forget how to do the stuff he shows. And I do practice EVERY DAY! Even when I was sick earlier this week, I was practicin as much as I could. Ive bought videos, magazines, books etc... so I know how to get instructional stuff.

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Majestic is definitely right on about there being a lot of resources out there now.

Listen, you've got to crawl before you can walk. At a minimum, there is no excuse for not knowing your basic open E, A, D, G, C, at least. There's tons of books out there that will show these as well as a myriad of other chords. If you can't rip through a simple blues passage, don't think you're going to be able to master Van Halen or Vai. Eddie was a classically trained musician, and Vai took lessons from Satch and went to Berkley. While both great improvisers, they know their shit.

I suggest you slow down, way down. Learn your basic open chords, as well as Barre chords. From there you can learn suspended chords, added fifths, etc. Get these basics down, and get yourself a Metronome. But USE it, don't buy it and let it sit. Get a good sense of rhythm and start practicing some pentatonic scales and chromatic exercises. If you don't have a monster picking hand, your not going to even come close. If you need any help with some chromatic exercises let me know and I'll help you out. But you must utilize a metronome. Jamming with records is great fun, especially when your young.

A good plan to follow might be getting yourself a Metronome, Some of those Curt Mitchell DVD's, or a beginner DVD, and start learning your shit. Shit man, there's guitar mag's all over the place with good columns for beginners.
    First off slow down, and don't think you're going to rip it up right away. Get your chords down and start learning triads and some easy single note riffs. Intersperse this with some practicing of pentatonic scales and chromatic exercises. Don't get too discouraged, but I'll tell ya, if you don't have a good sense of time, your playing will go nowhere fast.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

Ok, what about my idea for starting my own guitar line?

Body: Basswood
    Neck: Birdseye Maple with 12" Radius
    Pickups: SD's or Dimarzio
    Bridge: Non-Recessed Original Floyd Rose & Stop Tails
    Controls: 1 Master Volume, 1 Master Tone, 3-Way Switch

Quilted Maple Top

Flame Maple Top

Double-Necks

Standard - 1 Color, No Top, No Binding

Standard - 1 Color, No Top, Cream Binding

Standard - 2 Color Burst, No Top, No Binding

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

Stop Tails w/Quilted Maple Top

I havent quite decided on a name yet but I'm leaning towards VIPER GUITARS.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic

You think that's harsh?
    Sorry, he's just being honest, and actually he's being quite nice about it.

You can't play because your guitar has a 16" radius?
    Gee that's a tough break. Do all 4 have a 16" radius?
    Boo hoo.
    All I was able to get from your post is that you're too busy whining to get up off your ass and pay attention to what you're doing.
    There's a lot of guys here that can't scrape together 100. so they get whatever money they can and get what ever they can find and play the shit out of it.
    Who cares if you don't know what to call the chords. just play the fucking thing, and stop playing what you know over and oiver.
    Start playing what you don't know and make your fingers work at learning something NEW.
    Now there's a novel idea. Practice something that's actually hard to do so you can eventually GET BETTER.
    It's not as much fun as complaining but it actually works.

You want to start a business making guitars. That could work.
    Would you only make one guitar over and over until you figured you couldn't do that either, then you'd give up and find someone to complain to about that as well.
    Building guitars isn't about making drawings on paper or about wood properties. It's about experimentation and coming up with either original ideas or building something to a customer's specs.
    All I see above are Fender strats with humbuckers and floyd bridges.
    Fender calls them the Floyd Rose model stratocaster, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind changing the name to the viper stratocaster.
    Why don't you ask them to bend over so you can stick another of their designs up their ass. Maybe you could copy a telecaster with humbuckers and call it the viper telecaster.
    Every poster on here could come up with some sort of drawing, and at least 95 % of the posters here have some idea of wood and pickup properties. That's why there's so many posts asking about what pickups to try with what kind of guitars.
    Go to a lumber yard, buy a plank of basswood or some other soft wood and start carving, or draw a design on it and find someone to cut it for you so you can finish shaping it and actually get a working model. If that looks good then go with better wood and try it again. Sell one of your guitars if you have to, and get the woodworking tools to start.
    Sell the one with the 16" radius. It sounds like you'd miss that one the least.
    I know guys that build guitars for a living and they didn't know anything about building until they built models, and learned by trial and error. Lots and lots of trial and error, but now the things they build are very much sought after, and again I can tell you honestly, not one of them ever had anyone to teach them. They found bboks and other notes on building and worked at it to get as good as they are now.
    They weren't concerned about who could teach them cause none of them could afford to pay anyone to teach them, even if the guy lived next door.
    You're obviously on the internet so you have ways of finding books and other materials on how to build guitars.

And if you're really serious about learning to play, and not just going through PMS then take some of the money you have, even if it means selling one of those fucking guitars and find yourself a guitar teacher that can get you off your ass and move you forward. It sounds like you're ready for a musical kick in the ass.
    You're only 17. There'll be plenty of time to bitch and moan later in life. In the meantime start working at getting better by having someone teach you, or give your equipment to someone that really wants to make the effort.
    Stop your moaning and get to it.
    Last edited by tribb; 02.18.05 at 09:50 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH1/5150/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Feelin'/ Humans Being
    Last Online

03.23.06 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get together with someone u know who has been playing for a few years longer than u and can play pretty damn good. Let him embarrass u. this leads to 2 things:
    A- It will push a button in your head to become better so you can wail on his ass or;
    B- You'll cry and quit.
    Girls are like Guitars, you gotta play a few before you find the right one.
    " Some people say that a song without words isn't a song. Tell that to Beethoven and he'll kick your ass." -EVH

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Damn guys, ease up.
    Find other people to jam with. Bass, drums, whatever. Watch every guitar player you know. You must become a student of music, grasshoppa (not necessarily a music student).
    Videos, DVDs, whatever. Some of us used 16 RPMs.
    And remember, you'll only be as good as your ears. Your fingers have NOTHING to do with it (boy, that will REALLY upset some of you).
    When I get into a rut, I take solace in the fact that getting out of the rut will catapult me ahead of where I was previously.
    Just have patience. And stay away from those that bring ya down...
    Oh, and for all the high-and-mighty; we gotta stick together guys. Remember, it's us against the world (or karaoke and DJs).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I might play the same lick over and over, BUT DAMN IT'S STARTING TO SOUND GOOD.

Guitar playing doesn't have to be a career. I play to relax. I sound nothing like Ed despite a Wolfgang and 5150. The first few years it was dissapointing, but I realized that I wasn't a musician, but someone who could relax by strumming something made of wood and metal.

With that being said, if you can't listen to Hoobastank's "The Reason" or some Green Day tune, and pickout the "meat" of the tune in less than 15 mintues, then there may be an issue. I can't listen to a VH riff and figure out what notes need to be played, I need tab, but most stuff on the radio, you should be able to figure it out after a few listens.....once I find the first chord, it all falls into place.

So if guitar playing is stressing you out, quit, it should relax you and take you to another place where you're not thinking about work, kids, money......
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett