fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Default ebmm axis neck versus ebmm evh

hi guys
    anyone know if the neck on the ebmm axis is the same neck that's found on the ebmm evh...it seems like it...
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Play them both and you'll see it's not, even though a no. of axis owners will argue. Even the floyds made for the axis model use saddles which are spaced wider and won't fit properly on an original EVH floyd.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

anyone know if the neck on the ebmm axis is the same neck that's found on the ebmm evh...it seems like it...
    It depends on the production model#..There was a thing when back, up to a certain # is the same, I think it is 9000 or under or something.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littleguitars_99
    It depends on the production model#..There was a thing when back, up to a certain # is the same, I think it is 9000 or under or something.
    Never heard that before. I got my Axis from my brother who was endorsed by Ernie Ball at the time. Ordered it direct from the factory. I stood right next to him as he asked the difference from EVH to Axis and he repeated the answers to me as they came, so this is almost striaght from the horses mouth.=) The only difference between the two guitars is; There is a little more wood cut from the back of the body to make it more comfortable to play(EVH owners later claimed it hurt the tone of the Axis, but I doubt it!), so a slight contour there. The pick-up selector was moved to below the volume knob. And the neck was widened as the E string would "fall" of the neck, but the same neck dimensions were used. So I think it's(the neck) like the EVH model, just a little less worn. I just put mine down 30 seconds before writing this. You can clearly see the wear marks on the neck from years of EVH use! All that's missing are the cigarette burns!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AFU
    Never heard that before. I got my Axis from my brother who was endorsed by Ernie Ball at the time. Ordered it direct from the factory. I stood right next to him as he asked the difference from EVH to Axis and he repeated the answers to me as they came, so this is almost striaght from the horses mouth.=) The only difference between the two guitars is; There is a little more wood cut from the back of the body to make it more comfortable to play(EVH owners later claimed it hurt the tone of the Axis, but I doubt it!), so a slight contour there. The pick-up selector was moved to below the volume knob. And the neck was widened as the E string would "fall" of the neck, but the same neck dimensions were used. So I think it's(the neck) like the EVH model, just a little less worn. I just put mine down 30 seconds before writing this. You can clearly see the wear marks on the neck from years of EVH use! All that's missing are the cigarette burns!
    My brother picked up his from a guy who had both Sig model and the Axis actually 3 at the time, the necks are identical, when the guy called down to Ernie Ball, besides Eddie being pissed about the pickups ( they wouldn`t let him take them) they said Ed had rights to the neck as it was a copy of his Frankenstrat, so they had to make some slight alterations to avoid legal issues. As far as the neck being widened, my brothers was one of the very first batch when his SIG came off it, the neck hadn`t beed altered yet, his E string still has that problem, yet a buddy of our has one he got of Ebay 4 years ago and the E string dosen`t have that problem.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

For whatever reason....and I don't know why.....my 1997 Axis has a different neck than my Axis Super Sport, which I think I picked up in 2001.

They feel different for 2 reasons:

1) they are slightly different
    2) the vintage trem saddles line-up differently w/ the neck than my Floyd model

I love them both, regardless.

I cannot speak to the neck on an orginal EVH.
    Last edited by Majestic; 02.18.05 at 04:02 PM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by littleguitars_99
    My brother picked up his from a guy who had both Sig model and the Axis actually 3 at the time, the necks are identical, when the guy called down to Ernie Ball, besides Eddie being pissed about the pickups ( they wouldn`t let him take them) they said Ed had rights to the neck as it was a copy of his Frankenstrat, so they had to make some slight alterations to avoid legal issues. As far as the neck being widened, my brothers was one of the very first batch when his SIG came off it, the neck hadn`t beed altered yet, his E string still has that problem, yet a buddy of our has one he got of Ebay 4 years ago and the E string dosen`t have that problem.
    Hmm. Sounds like the first of the Axis had the same neck. I never knew that. Mine doesn't have the E string problem, wish it did now. I have two Wolfgang standards and like the Axis neck better. I have a Warmoth neck, standard thin they call it. Made around '94. Anyway I think it's VERY close to my Axis neck. Not quite as "broken in" feeling, but very similiar to my hand anyway.

Not to sound like a BS artist but I have some more info on the EVH EBMM pick-ups. The neck is the Air Norton, I think. The bridge is the Tone Zone!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Actually, it's a modified Tone Zone without dual-resonance. I think it's somewhere around 16, 17, or 18k.

Way too hot, thick, muddy, & bassy for the tones on his tunes from 1979-1988.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic

Way too hot, thick, muddy, & bassy for the tones on his tunes from 1979-1988.
    True, but didn't EVH use the 5150 to listen to pick-ups during r&d? I thought his Marshall was thin live, so maybe he wanted something a little different. I think it (EVH EBMM) has that old school =vh= growl and sounds really good through any amp, especially my 5150!