VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Default Solo careeers

Who's solo career would you have rather had Sammy's or Dave's?

After leaving VH Dave was phenomenally successful. His first three albums CFTH,EEAS, and Skyscraper all went platinum. Both of his full length albums went top 10 on the album chart and he released 4 singles that hit the top 16 on the singles chart, two hitting the top 10. Add in huge MTV exposure and headlining arena tours,and Dave was one of rock's biggest acts circa 1985-1989.Then the fall began. Dave has had a number of lows since then and his career has shot straight downward since Skyscraper.

Before VH Sammy acheived more modest success as a solo artist. Before joing VH Sammy had 1 platinum album and never released an album that cracked the top 20, and only one single YLIDMC, which reached the top 20. Since leaving VH, Sammy's has released a number of albums that have done ok but none have even gone gold. Still Sammy has not suffered any truly embarassing failures and has a much stronger solo career today.

To put it into sports terms, would you rather win one Super Bowl if it meant 20 losing seasons, or would you rather never win the big one but consistently have a winning record?

I'm not passing judgement on either, just curious to hear some opinions.
    Last edited by Menlow; 02.17.05 at 05:00 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Red Rocker.................

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sammy. Especially now. Has a group and solo career going.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.29.16 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To take your Super Bowl theory...

I'd rather be talented and considered very good over the long haul (Sam) instead of being great for a short time and then being over the cap for the rest of my career (Dave).

One thing to keep in mind is that during the 70's (after Montrose) Sam was very successful. Just remember that Warner Bros. wanted VH to split with Dave and bring in Sam before they released their first album. What's that say about Sam's success before VH?

Plus it had more to do with image than anything. Dave fit right in with the hairbands because of his image. In the eyes of MTV, he was still considered the singer of VH. After flannel got popular, Dave's party was over and nobody responded to the invites for the next party.

Sammy never fit into the image thing most especially after he split with VH. He just wanted to play for his fans. Now that doesn't mean one is a better singer than the other. It just means Sam was better as a solo artist over the long haul.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sorry to throw a curve so early...

...but you know whose solo career I would really rather have had?

EDDIE'S.

He coulda done all his VHIII stuff. He coulda done his guest vocalist thing. He coulda played his cello, and plucked his piano strings, and sung, and gone off on the fuckin' tuba. And I woulda been right there with him, jammin' to the bonus DVD, long as he passed it all off as Eddie Van Halen, instead of Van Halen. Know what I mean?

'Cause honestly, if he had that kind of individual creative outlet, MAYBE HE COULDA GOTTEN ALONG BETTER WITH THE SINGERS IN THE BAND!! Or at least, he coulda had some kind of perspective to put them in!

Seriously, solo side projects have been plenty good enough for the Stones, for fuck's sake, so I utterly fail to understand why it's beneath Van Halen.

All that aside, I'd much rather have had Sammy's current solo career - especially if it meant I had Dave in Van Halen!

Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Not sure that CFTH, EEAS, and Skyscraper can aptly be compared to the Superbowl.

Sam quite obviously has a blast in his solo career. Sales on new albums don't mean much when you've got the kind of fan base he does. Most important, he has bushels o' fun when he's touring...his 'job' has become more of a lifestyle. And that can't be bad, if it makes you enough bucks to have homes in Maui and Cabo and SF, keeping a beautiful wife and plenty of children happy, a party-oriented empire, jet-setting across the land, rock and rolling with a solo band whenever you want, and pretty much being an icon to millions...not to mention the whole VAN HALEN gig.

So I'd have to say Sam's would be the preferred choice. Um, DUH.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Sam had a career before he joined Van Halen and achived success on his name alone with Standing Hampton, V.O.A., also doing arena's on his own on the last tour, and headling the Texas Jam is a test to his popularity at the time, now would it have sustained itself this far without the Van Halen connection, I don't think so, but he achieved success without Van halen before joining, Dave on the other hand needed Van Halen, the ended up tanking, if you recall even when Crazy From The Heat came out, the songs on radio where always introduced as "now here is the lead singer of Van Halen, David Lee Roth" or "now here's David Lee roth, the singer of Van Halen". Not to mention I think Sammy has pretty much mastered the whole marketing aspect which helps.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Not sure that CFTH, EEAS, and Skyscraper can aptly be compared to the Superbowl.

Sam quite obviously has a blast in his solo career. Sales on new albums don't mean much when you've got the kind of fan base he does. Most important, he has bushels o' fun when he's touring...his 'job' has become more of a lifestyle. And that can't be bad, if it makes you enough bucks to have homes in Maui and Cabo and SF, keeping a beautiful wife and plenty of children happy, a party-oriented empire, jet-setting across the land, rock and rolling with a solo band whenever you want, and pretty much being an icon to millions...not to mention the whole VAN HALEN gig.

So I'd have to say Sam's would be the preferred choice. Um, DUH.
    Obviously, if you had to choose who's career you wanted today it would be a big duh-Sammy's. Whether or not you feel Dave's career could be compared to winning the Super Bowl, his peak was much higher than Sammy's. That's not a shot at Sam, obviously Dave was riding the VH wave for a few years. Still, as an overall philosophy, putting Dave and Sam aside, is it better to have that one moment and then fade away or never quite make it to the top but enjoy continuous success. I don't think that answer is too clear cut.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Uh, what about my own ?

But seriously, Sammy has achieved pretty much everything he wanted, and is still doing the thing he loves most - writing and playing music that kick ass.

Dave has a well-known him-dedicated fansite

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow.

Picking up any general themes in the responses, Menlow?
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    Whether or not you feel Dave's career could be compared to winning the Super Bowl, his peak was much higher than Sammy's.
    I think that sort of depends on what exactly you're defining 'peak' as. Are we talking album sales, arena size in live shows, ticket sales, pop culture recognition, respect from peers, awards, endurance in the public eye, sheer talent in lyricism, powerhouse stage presence, what?

I just don't ever recall Dave's star rising quite that high post VH, except for a brief year with Vai and Eat 'Em and Smile. Granted, I was biased, 'cause I was pissed. But radiowise, if we're talking about people going, "Okay, some Diamond Dave here?" Yankee Rose. Just Like Paradise. Just a Gigolo. California Girls. That's about it. Everything else, in my circle of VH aficionados, it was like Page's Radioactive. "Yeah, I remember that...not Zeppelin." And so on.

I think as far as American pop culture goes, especially when you consider the white conservative male majority these days, Sam's stuff is more widely known. Whether that constitutes a 'peak' or not, or whether it's simply that he's been able to sustain his longevity better through whatever means, I dunno.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug
    Wow.

Picking up any general themes in the responses, Menlow?
    Bug, come on. People can debate all day long about the artistic aspects of Dave's solo career. But as a cultural peak? It's a bust. I don't like it, I'd rather he'd been more successful, but reality is reality. I'd say the same thing about Sam were it the case.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of course Dave's solo success shot straight downward. There was a lot of room to do so. Sammy's solo career has been fairly consistent over the years. That's neither good nor bad. He was just never a big hit as a solo artist. He has his fan base and that is about as far as it goes.

Dave is an '80's icon. No doubt the Van Halen wave had something to do with his early solo success, but his first three albums were great. ALAE is just as good, if not better. It was simply released at a bad time in the music scene. "Grunge" was emerging and someone of Dave's essence certainly didn't fit into the era.

As for today... well, it's not really fair to compare Sammy's solo career of the present to Dave's, considering that Dave's is virtually nonexistent at the moment. He's trying new things outside of the music scene, which is commendable in it's own respect.

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd definitely go with Sammy's solo career!
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesn’t kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Both have had careers with a lot of tempting rewards.

Roth, worldwide popularity and hot and cold running sex....has pretty much faded away.

Hagar, reaping the rewards of being a smart business man and being the king of south of the border party-life....took a looooong time to get there.

Hard to choose, but I have to say I'd want to be in Sammy's shoes right about at this age. Had you asked me when I was in my early 20's I'd have said Dave hands down.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!