Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Default CONTEST - What Are the Two Defining Moments for Dave and Sam?

Mods, thought I'd put this in Main, but feel free to move it to wherever you deem appropriate, or shut it down if it's not appropriate, of course, or participate if you'd like.

What, in your esteemed opinion, is the singular most defining moment for both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar?

It could be a specific live moment in concert, a section of a track, an action or decision in the course of their respective tenures in the band, a personal milestone they chose to share with the public, one song they wrote and sang, one interview, a comment or sound byte, a solo effort, pre or post Van Halen life adventures, something they did or sang or said that truly moved you, anything at all...but it must be, in your opinion, THE moment that defined who they are, either to you, or to the public at large, or ideally both. Slagging either singer to define the other will be frowned upon, FYI.

A week from tonight, I'll review the answers and pick 3 winners, who will receive a small and completely inexpensive token of my admiration, a Tahoe Wabo guitar pick. Winners must be willing to PM their address, or make other arrangements accordingly, to receive their devastatingly valuable prize.

It's just for kicks. Might be fun. Have at it, if you're so inclined.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

For David Lee Roth, I'd say the answer is simple. MTV, more specifically, the video for Jump. Dave jumped, kicked, and mugged for the camera, and created a successful video...Dave's future successes continued with his nutty solo videos...Before videos, Van Halen fans wanted to be Dave, after videos EVERYONE WANTED TO BE DAVE.

For Sam, I'd say it was the purchase of the Cabo Wabo. However you want to look at it...either from when he first bought it with the boys, or when he bought them out...Sammy slowly started building his persona into the hard-rock Jimmy Buffet...even while in Van Halen, and kicked it into high gear once he went solo again. I believe Sammy really started to understand that all his ventures could feed off each other...he released 4 solo records, toured endlessly, and pitched Tequilla...and his fans didn't even mind, cuz they got a healthy dose of the red rocker.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I will definately be participating in this.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For Dave, I'd say HFT. Both song and video. It exemplifies the pure essence of Dave.
    Last edited by Wray; 02.16.05 at 11:54 PM.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

For Sammy I would say "5150" from LWAN. It's one of the most kickass live performances I've ever seen (not in person). The chemistry was there. The scream right before Eddie rips into his jaw-dropping solo, and that scream near the end of the song where he just nails it. If anyone had any doubt that Sammy belonged in the band, it ended after seeing that.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Perhaps I should add, before replies potentially get too numerous, that valid post entries wanting consideration for contest placement will include one defining moment for BOTH singers, not one or the other. Just a clarification.

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For me the defining moment for each singer was when they both quit Van Halen. After Dave quit, many will argue the band was never the same. And when Sammy quit, we all know the band wasn't the same. Must be hard to to walk away from the biggest band world and for dave it has led to his practical removal from the public eye and for Sam it has led to a whole new career that he has been remarkably sucessful at.

Just a thought.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody get me a Doctor!
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 02:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave- First song of the 1983 US festival show when he came on stage, drugged out of brain, stoned, drunk and then said, "hey...I forgot the fucking words..." and then proceeded to entertain the crowd like a true pro.

Sammy- MTV Music award show, at the end of POUNDCAKE he addressed the crowd/auidence, "I know some of you don't like us ..." and they killed his mic. Your rock Sammy!
    The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    For David Lee Roth, I'd say the answer is simple. MTV, more specifically, the video for Jump. Dave jumped, kicked, and mugged for the camera, and created a successful video...Dave's future successes continued with his nutty solo videos...Before videos, Van Halen fans wanted to be Dave, after videos EVERYONE WANTED TO BE DAVE.
    I have to agree with that one also. Dave's legacy today is fueled by those videos. He was on top of the world then.

As for Sammy, I'll have to say the 5150 sessions, when unsure about what to expect from Eddie's invitation for a jam and after blasting out "Summer Nights" together he finally discovered more insight into his own vocal range that he had not known before and realised where his future place lies. He did the impossible - he filled Dave's shoes comfortably.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Dave: The release of the song AND more importantly the video for "California Girls". The popularity and airplay on MTV that song got to me is what made Dave really believe that maybe he was what it was all about and that fed his ego which led to his departure from Van Halen.

Sammy: "Right Now", the popularity of that song was the defining moment of his placement in Van Halen. Sure they had 2 albums and 3 big tours under their belts with Sammy, but the commercial success of "Van Hagar" came with the release of that song.

In another note to this. The defining moment of just how different they both are came during the Sam & Dave tour. Fans got to see both and I think alot of the "Dave" fans came away with alot more respect for Sammy after they saw him live.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

For Dave it was when he left Van Halen. Yes he is a great performer but it showed that it wasn't all about Dave. He needs a great band like Van Halen or the one from Eat'm and smile to be as succsessful as he was with VH. No doubt that Daves carreer went down hill after 1984.
    For Sam it was joining VH. Yes just about everyone heard of S.H., but come on his solo stuff prior to joining VH doesn't compare. I'm sure his check book didn't either. His popularity grew tremendously after Joining VH and so did his musicianship.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Dave - The minute the video for JUMP hit the airwaves. Van Halen was already legendary, but when JUMP hit the scene, EVERYONE knew Van Halen (Don't know if that's good or bad )

Sammy- I'd say the release of LWAN. People were skeptical, maybe they passed on the 5150 tour or just couldn't get tickets in some cases....and they didn't release any videos officially for the 5150 album, so LWAN was, for some, their first taste of what Sammy could do in Van Halen.... and Like Dan said, by the time the song 5150 was over.....we were hooked...

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll take a stab at album highlights here. Yelps or screams to be more exact.

DLR-Near the end of "Everybody Wants Some" the band is getting faster and louder and Dave hits the mightiest of all his screams.

SH- Again, near the end of "5150" the band is starting to fade out and Sam hits the note we have all tried and failed.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For Dave, its the US Festival. The whole thing. The pre-show interviews, the show itself. Dave is in such "rock star" mode that day its ridiculous. That day just screams 80s rock star. So many classic Dave quotes from that show and of course, his assless chaps.

For Sammy, its Farm Aid. Sam was a decent joirneyman rocker at that point, best known as the "I Cant Drive 55 guy" but joining VH really thrust him into the spotlight. Seeing him with Ed on stage put his face on the map. Not to mention him cussing throughout a benefit concert on national TV!!
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.24.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default moment in time

for starters, this is by far one of the better topics we have had in here!

Dave: You really get to appreciate all he's done when trying to define the "one thing". If people remember Dave it is because of Jump and more importantly, the flying jump split kick thing he did in the video. MTV made a lot of 80's icons and Dave took full advantage of it with that video. Not only did he sing the song but used it to jump out VH and into his own solo career.

Sam: It would be easy to take the 5150/LWAN road but as much as I'd like to say that was his "one thing", it is not. Nor is building the Cabo. For Sam, the defining moment was when he did "I can't drive 55". That song/video began everything that he is and has become now. Without the song and car how would he have met Ed? Even when he did join VH that song rocked the house down. The song was used in one of the biggest movies of its time(Back to the Future). You could pick a few songs that define Sam in VH but overall this song defines Sam in or out of VH.
    If it ain't red then paint it!