Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sammy's lyrics?

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Sammy's lyrics?

I know the major reason why Sam is being bashed by Dave-era fans are his lyrics. Not to mention there is nothing else to be bashed ( ), but really - his lyrics with Van Halen are far from perfect.

With that said, why the hell his solo lyrics are so much better ? Listen to his poetry through all his eras - Iceman, Remember the Heroes, Rock in my Blood, Salvation on Sand Hill, Leaving the Warmth of the Woomb, b, Protection, Karma Wheel - well I don't know if I've picked up the best, but those lyrics are by far better than almost everything he's written for brothers. How come?
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 02.16.05 at 02:55 PM.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I love Sammy's lyrics with Van Halen. More than his solo songs. I did find the lyrics in the 3 new songs to be a bit lacking though.

Mine All Mine, The Seventh Seal, The Dream Is Over, Best Of Both Worlds, Why Can't This Be Love, Take Me Back (Deja Vu), When It's Love, Not Enough, Judgement Day, Right Now, Can't Stop Lovin You, and 5150 are some of the great songs written by Sammy.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think people forget the lyrics from songs like "Mine All Mine", "Right Now" ,
    "5150", "Seventh Seal", "Learning To See", etc. And always seem to remember his lyrics from " Up For Breakfast", "Sucker in a 3 Piece", "Good Enough", etc. Sam does write some really good lyrics with depth behind them,and then he writes songs about partying. I just look at it like the lyrics follow the vibe of the music. Plus with Van Halen there is an image to maintain.
    Last edited by arackofwhat; 02.16.05 at 03:13 PM.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:29 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hell yeah, l dig Sams lyrics solo and Van Halen, l wish l could write lyrics like him.

Riddick.

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by riddick
    Hell yeah, l dig Sams lyrics solo and Van Halen, l wish l could write lyrics like him.

Riddick.
    Me too Riddick. Sammy's lyrics are great. With all due respect to Dave a lot of lyrics come across great because they are attached to great music. And some are just down right stupid and lame.

Read the lyric sheet to any song on the "DLR Band" CD if you want proof.

Back to Sammy though. I happen to think that two of his best songs lyrically are Right Now and Who Has The Right. My absolute favorite Sammy solo song is "Both Sides Now" (I always thought that was him tipping his hat to Edward about 1996 and Sammy's first departure from VH)
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I think the only people that have a problem with his lyrics are those that hate him, for whatever reason.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    I think the only people that have a problem with his lyrics are those that hate him, for whatever reason.
    That's quite a generalization...

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sams lyrics rock

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    I love Sammy's lyrics with Van Halen. More than his solo songs. I did find the lyrics in the 3 new songs to be a bit lacking though.

Mine All Mine, The Seventh Seal, The Dream Is Over, Best Of Both Worlds, Why Can't This Be Love, Take Me Back (Deja Vu), When It's Love, Not Enough, Judgement Day, Right Now, Can't Stop Lovin You, and 5150 are some of the great songs written by Sammy.
    I agree, I love take me back, and Feelin ,those songs back to back to me are so deep and intense...cool stuff!
    Last edited by kevohman; 02.16.05 at 07:50 PM. Reason: wrong song title
    keVH

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    You know TheresOnlyOneWay, that's not altogether true. I love the vast majority of lyrics by Sammy...but I hear songs like Up For Breakfast, Spanked, Good Enough, etc. and I can't help but cringe. But you know, every writer runs into that writer's block, I'm sure.

Back to what Mishar was saying...I agree...sometimes Sam seems to spread his proverbial wings when he writes for solo songs...Eagles Fly (for as much as it has been overplayed at concerts - if that's your opinion) is a beatiful song...wasted on a non-Van Halen album!

Anyway...
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Well, Sam has admitted it's hard coming up with lyrics. He's commented on his limited vocabulary, etc. You could pick apart lyrics created by anyone but the final cut is what matters. Sam sings "Shaka Doobie" thru that whole solo song of his, but it's kick ass and I wish the guys would've done it with him because it's a VH song to the core. A well timed "Yeah" or a 'grunt' in a song is as powerful a whole sentence sometimes - and Sam is one of the best at that. UFB could've had better lyrics, but I bet there's a lot of Ed's stuff still on the floor I would've prefered too. I'm also glad it didn't end up being "Dance, Lolita, Dance" instead of "Dance the Night Away", if you know what I'm sayin'. Though it'd be fun to hear, I don't think it would be what it is today.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 02.16.05 at 11:19 PM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just admit it, red roth. You hate Sammy.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    You know TheresOnlyOneWay, that's not altogether true. I love the vast majority of lyrics by Sammy...but I hear songs like Up For Breakfast, Spanked, Good Enough, etc. and I can't help but cringe. But you know, every writer runs into that writer's block, I'm sure.
    Sammy has stated that when he gets writer's block that he'll simply just write about the typical, "Boy meets girl, boy does girl, boy gets heartbroken". On Balance he said that he pushed himself lyrically than he'd done on any other VH album and that's probably why I love that Sam-era album the most.

I never had a problem with any of Sammy's lyrics until I heard "Up For Breakfast". Basically, I just didn't think those lyrics in particular suited that awesome piece of music. I think the song would've had enormous potential had he written something more metaphorical like something along the lines he did with "The Seventh Seal". But anyway, I don't mind the song much now, I guess I'm letting it grow on me.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love Sammy to death but this topic is right on. I was even thinking about starting a thread like this but you beat me to it...

Anyone who is a musician knows how hard it is to write a song but sometimes Sams lyrics are god awful. most of his shitty songs have been mentioned here so I wont repeat them but GODDAMMIT "UP FOR BREAKFAST" might have the worst lyrics ever for a song. I mean he dosen't write lyrics for Van Halen for 9 years and then we get that? come on!

But I have therory as to why they suck sometimes-

As a solo artist, Sam has total control over what happens, so of course he going to put his ALL in songs he really cares about.

but in VH (especially this last time around) there is probably some major resenment still going on and music that he dosen't much care for. there for instead of wasting time to write and use something he really likes on a mediocre piece of music (at least in vh standards) he writes down the first thing that comes to his head, Saving the good stuff for something that he has more control over. This happenes in my band alot where Me or my singer will save our best stuff for something else because Our heart may not be totally in it at the moment.

but don't forget "dick in the dirt" from VOA- worst song ever
    you know, pretty much everything on VOA sucked-

and the lines - "meet ya down at the ol' fishn hole" from Summer Nights
    and- "it's 8:05 its time to rock"- from "one way to rock" every night at 8:05 I grab a beer stand on my patio and just yell "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! while I air guitar. I mean 8:05? when did that become the defacto time to rock out? did I miss A memo?
    Last edited by Eddie's Little Monster; 02.17.05 at 02:27 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

It's a known fact that around the world, at 8:05, it's time to rock.

Reminds me of the Simpsons

Principal Skinner - "Children, are you adequately prepared to rock and or roll?"
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,146 Times in 8,966 Posts

Can I not hate Sam but still not like a lot of his lyrics? Geez, some of your guys are as bad about Sam as the Dave or Gravers are with DLR! How's this for a synopsis of most Dave era fans: We generally think Sam is a pretty cool dude, hard working, talented, and not our first choice as the singer for Van Halen. If that is hating then call me a playa hata!

Sam is all over the board with his lyrics, and yes I too prefer his solo work to his work in Van Halen, he just seems to write with more balls solo; maybe it is because he is coming up with the riffs as well instead of being handed an almost finished song.

I don't like the love songs like "Can't Stop Loving You" etc. But if Ed had come up to Dave with a finished song sounding like "Why Can't This Be Love?" do you think Dave is going to write Mean Street?

If I were to compare the two which is what we do here, I would offer that Sam can write the better lyrics for religious/spiritual/serious topics and that Dave pulls off the party/sex song better. Sam comes off contrived on a lot of the party songs where Dave seems to be able to pull it off with a wink and a smile.

Sam at his best: 5150(stellar!) , Mine All Mine, Top of the World, Seventh Seal(stellar!)

Sam at his worst: Get Up, Sucker in a Three Piece, Spanked , In 'n Out, Big Fat Money, Amsterdam, and Upchuck For Breakfast
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 02.17.05 at 03:17 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!