Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Eruption AFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.20.00
    Location
    Rumford, R.I. USA
    Posts
    868
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes
    208
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

    Default Neck finish question.

    Buying an unfinished neck for a strat I'm building. Any suggestions on what to use to finish the neck? I like the feel of my Wolfgangs. I'm thinking some kind of oil finish. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.05
    Posts
    284
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it Later
    Last Online

    05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    As far as I know, the wolfgang neck is totally unfinished. you can oil it down very lightly with some Lemon Oil if you like. But check out "care and feeding" over at wolfgangguitars.com

  3. #3
    Eruption AFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.20.00
    Location
    Rumford, R.I. USA
    Posts
    868
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes
    208
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Little Monster
    As far as I know, the wolfgang neck is totally unfinished. you can oil it down very lightly with some Lemon Oil if you like. But check out "care and feeding" over at wolfgangguitars.com
    Cool! Thanks for the tip!

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.21.00
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,491
    Favorite VH Album

    Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

    03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    If it's a strat neck and it's unfinished don't finish it with plain lemon oil. That's a polishing oil, not something you'd finish a neck with and will raise the grain.
    To finish it properly use a gun oil/wax mix like EBMM does, or use a good quality tung oil on unfinished maple, and boiled linseed oil on roasewood.
    If you use tung oil put it on very thinly and lightly, and it'll protect the neck well, but will still feel like bare wood.
    You can probably get the right proportion for mixing gun oil and liquid wax over at the EBMM forums.
    When I used an oil/wax mixture in the past, I used 80% gun oil to 20% liquid wax, but others have their own preferences.
    You can probably get tips over there on how to apply it properly as well.

  5. #5
    Eruption AFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.20.00
    Location
    Rumford, R.I. USA
    Posts
    868
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes
    208
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    If it's a strat neck and it's unfinished don't finish it with plain lemon oil. That's a polishing oil, not something you'd finish a neck with and will raise the grain.
    To finish it properly use a gun oil/wax mix like EBMM does, or use a good quality tung oil on unfinished maple, and boiled linseed oil on roasewood.
    If you use tung oil put it on very thinly and lightly, and it'll protect the neck well, but will still feel like bare wood.
    You can probably get the right proportion for mixing gun oil and liquid wax over at the EBMM forums.
    When I used an oil/wax mixture in the past, I used 80% gun oil to 20% liquid wax, but others have their own preferences.
    You can probably get tips over there on how to apply it properly as well.
    Funny, I have an EBMM axis and LOVE the neck. But didn't think I'd find a way to mix wax and gun oil properly. Now I can't decide how to finish this neck! Wolfgang style or EBMM style?!? Thanks for the info!

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.21.00
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,491
    Favorite VH Album

    Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

    03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    From what I understand AFU, standard wolfs also use the Gun oil/wax mixture.
    The wax is liquid and mixes very easily with the oil.
    When you're done you can't feel the oil or the wax on the wood. It just feels very smooth.
    You don't have to mix them. You can give the neck a light oiling with good quality gunstock oil. Wipe off any excess oil and let it sit overnight, then the next day apply the wax and buff it well.
    It'll feel like a new factory finish.

  7. #7
    Eruption AFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.20.00
    Location
    Rumford, R.I. USA
    Posts
    868
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes
    208
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    From what I understand AFU, standard wolfs also use the Gun oil/wax mixture.
    The wax is liquid and mixes very easily with the oil.
    When you're done you can't feel the oil or the wax on the wood. It just feels very smooth.
    You don't have to mix them. You can give the neck a light oiling with good quality gunstock oil. Wipe off any excess oil and let it sit overnight, then the next day apply the wax and buff it well.
    It'll feel like a new factory finish.
    What kind of wax should I use? Thanks.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.21.00
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,491
    Favorite VH Album

    Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

    03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Birchwood Casey makes an oil and wax called Tru Oil, and Tru Wax.
    That's the stuff you want. You can try sporting goods stores or gun shops, or maybe even buy it online. A small bottle of each will last you years.
    Follow the directions and keep the coatings light, buff really well, and it should feel like a factory finish when you're done.
    I did mine on the road 2-3 times a year and that was enough, even with constant use.
    Use on unfinsided maple necks only, not rosewood, etc...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09.22.06, 05:06 PM
  2. EBMM neck question.
    By Rotius in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.14.06, 06:32 PM
  3. Unfinished neck question.....
    By the 316 man in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.18.06, 04:17 AM
  4. Replacement neck question
    By beetlejuice in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12.26.02, 12:20 PM
  5. Putting oil finish on bare neck?
    By AFU in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.03.02, 07:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •