Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3239404142

Thread: Queen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

take your whiskey home
    Last Online

09.03.19 @ 04:46 AM
    Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

Ok...I had thought I read about this here and wanted to give a thumbs up to the producer of this special on ABC...But I now cannot find the post which baffles me because this is basically the only music site I read....So if you are reading this Mr. you did a great job...

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

09.17.19 @ 06:13 PM
    Liked 18,016 Times in 10,236 Posts

Premium Member

How Success Of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Biopic Affected QUEEN's Music Sales

May 23, 2019

QUEEN's popularity has had a major resurgence over the last year, thanks to the phenomenal success of the band's biopic "Bohemian Rhapsody", which won four Oscars after becoming one of the Top 100 highest-grossing movies of all time.

According to Billboard, on-demand streams of QUEEN's music more than tripled in the six months following "Bohemian Rhapsody"'s release compared with the six months prior to its opening, going from 588 million to 1.9 billion. Meanwhile, song sales jumped from 527,000 to 1.9 million units and albums rose 483%, from 184,000 to 1.1 million units. Billboard estimates that these sales resulted in "nearly $18 million in revenue versus the $4.4 million that QUEEN's catalog had earned in the preceding six months."

One day before the movie's release, QUEEN's song "Bohemian Rhapsody" reportedly went from 87th place globally to 15th place one week later. It also returned to the Billboard Hot 100 chart for a third time, after doing so once upon its initial release, and again after appearing in the 1992 movie "Wayne’s World".

Last year, "Bohemian Rhapsody" dethroned "Straight Outta Compton" to become the highest-grossing music biopic of all time, bringing in more than $900 million at the worldwide box office. The film starring Rami Malek and Lucy Boynton earned over $200 million in the U.S. box office alone.

QUEEN guitarist Brian May claimed in a recent interview that the band hasn't made any money off "Bohemian Rhapsody", despite the movie's box office success. "Because there's so many people, of course, that will take pieces off the top," the musician told BBC Radio 2's "The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show".

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/how...s-music-sales/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

09.17.19 @ 06:00 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,545 Posts

but then I'm sure they've made money off the sales spurred by it.

Just amazing how something like that can get a band's catalogue moving. I'm not sure how movie music licensing works, but if I was an artist and someone wanted to put my music in their movie, as long as it wasn't going to be used in an objectionable manner, I'd be like "yes, PLEASE!"

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.17.19 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 12,147 Times in 6,640 Posts

I'm completely QUEEN-ed out.

It's just too much, it's everywhere.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love, I'm The One
    Last Online

09.12.19 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I'm completely QUEEN-ed out.

It's just too much, it's everywhere.
    I suppose some would think it's too much, but to me it's unfortunate that anyone would feel that way. Only a few bands truly deserve to circle back around like Queen has in popularity. Their music, like The Beatles, Zepplin, etc. deserves to continually be rediscovered by every generation, because they are simply a transcendent band. I can think of plenty of garbage that doesn't deserve any recognition at all, but I'll support people schlepping Queen's music out there and keeping it in the public's consciousness til the day I die.
    "Forked tongue in double-speak"

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Garywascooltoo View Post
    I suppose some would think it's too much, but to me it's unfortunate that anyone would feel that way. Only a few bands truly deserve to circle back around like Queen has in popularity. Their music, like The Beatles, Zepplin, etc. deserves to continually be rediscovered by every generation, because they are simply a transcendent band. I can think of plenty of garbage that doesn't deserve any recognition at all, but I'll support people schlepping Queen's music out there and keeping it in the public's consciousness til the day I die.
    But Queen is a bit too theatrical & showy, to hear on constant rotation.

I can hear a Beatles tune, and just let it exist in the background.
    But Queen kind of forces you to hear them: Freddie's voice, the operatic, multi tracked
    backing vocals.

That movie made them a 24/7, wherever you are, thing.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

But Queen is a bit too theatrical & showy, to hear on constant rotation.

I can hear a Beatles tune, and just let it exist in the background.
    But Queen kind of forces you to hear them: Freddie's voice, the operatic, multi tracked
    backing vocals.

That movie made them a 24/7, wherever you are, thing.
    Yep, I totally get it. I'm probably immune to it, simply because I'm a crazy fan of Queen.

I do kind of equate it to when I first discovered Queen as a kid. I found out that there were so many layers, it opened my eyes to what rock music could even be. And their catalog was so extensive and different, it was just a rabbit hole I wanted to keep going further into. So, then when you discover something and get excited about it, you want to share it. I think there is a large contingency of people that are feeling that way about Queen right now. In the last year and a half, an entire generation is discovering something they had no previous knowledge of and the more they learn, the more exciting it is and thus, the demand swells. I'm sure given another year, it'll die down.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yep, I totally get it. I'm probably immune to it, simply because I'm a crazy fan of Queen.

I do kind of equate it to when I first discovered Queen as a kid. I found out that there were so many layers, it opened my eyes to what rock music could even be. And their catalog was so extensive and different, it was just a rabbit hole I wanted to keep going further into. So, then when you discover something and get excited about it, you want to share it. I think there is a large contingency of people that are feeling that way about Queen right now. In the last year and a half, an entire generation is discovering something they had no previous knowledge of and the more they learn, the more exciting it is and thus, the demand swells. I'm sure given another year, it'll die down.
    I think you nailed it.

Gen. Z is going crazy over this band, and they've all seen the movie.
    I'm sure Freddie would have been like: What took you so long, Darling?

Queen has become bigger than Zep, The Stones & U2.

Gen. Z hates U2, which kinda stunned me.
    U2 is suddenly not cool.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think you nailed it.

Gen. Z is going crazy over this band, and they've all seen the movie.
    I'm sure Freddie would have been like: What took you so long, Darling?

Queen has become bigger than Zep, The Stones & U2.

Gen. Z hates U2, which kinda stunned me.
    U2 is suddenly not cool.
    Yes...love how you characterized what Freddie's reaction would've been. SPOT ON!

It is exciting for me as a Queen fan to see so many people getting the same joy out of them as I have for the last 35 years. What I have really loved is that my kids (20, 16 & 13) have been Queen fans since they were born. We went and saw the movie together as a family when it opened. They looked forward to the movie for months with anticipation. It's fun to see them react now to their friends who want to tell them about Queen or share a song they just discovered, and my kids are like..."uh...yeah, but have you heard THIS?" My youngest daughter is the 13 year old and I was driving her and 3 friends/teammates to a basketball practice and I had my old Queen's Greatest Hits CD. We were all listening to and singing "Don't Stop Me Now." Me and four 13/14 year old girls singing along like it was Shawn Mendes on the radio. Pretty freaking cool!

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yes...love how you characterized what Freddie's reaction would've been. SPOT ON!

It is exciting for me as a Queen fan to see so many people getting the same joy out of them as I have for the last 35 years. What I have really loved is that my kids (20, 16 & 13) have been Queen fans since they were born. We went and saw the movie together as a family when it opened. They looked forward to the movie for months with anticipation. It's fun to see them react now to their friends who want to tell them about Queen or share a song they just discovered, and my kids are like..."uh...yeah, but have you heard THIS?" My youngest daughter is the 13 year old and I was driving her and 3 friends/teammates to a basketball practice and I had my old Queen's Greatest Hits CD. We were all listening to and singing "Don't Stop Me Now." Me and four 13/14 year old girls singing along like it was Shawn Mendes on the radio. Pretty freaking cool!
    I loved the first third of that movie, so much, the early stuff.
    But i got annoyed when they messed with the time lines.
    Obviously, Mercury was played extremely well, but the guy who did Brian May, was dead on.
    That actor was great.

But i work with and supervise a lot of young, college aged kids, and they all are
    obsessed with that film and the band.
    Somehow, it just resonated.

They are progressive types, so i'm sure they think it's cool Fred was a gay man, but
    also one of the biggest frontmen of all time.
    They seem drawn to the vocals, the theatrical aspect, and the anthemic quality of certain songs.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I loved the first third of that movie, so much, the early stuff.
    But i got annoyed when they messed with the time lines.
    Obviously, Mercury was played extremely well, but the guy who did Brian May, was dead on.
    That actor was great.

But i work with and supervise a lot of young, college aged kids, and they all are
    obsessed with that film and the band.
    Somehow, it just resonated.

They are progressive types, so i'm sure they think it's cool Fred was a gay man, but
    also one of the biggest frontmen of all time.
    They seem drawn to the vocals, the theatrical aspect, and the anthemic quality of certain songs.
    Boy, 100% agree with the annoying way they screwed with the timelines, but I suppose I get it. Hollywood dramatic effect.

Freddie was a supremely talented guy, who by the luck of the universe met the right guys in Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon who all were also amazingly talented in their areas and could share the same vision for what they wanted to do. They were completely unafraid to be themselves, experiment and push the bounds of what was acceptable on all levels. In that regard, I think apart from the obvious chronological adjustments, the movie encapsulated that. And as you point out...for whatever reason, that resonated. I would like to believe it resonated because it was organic and genuine and they were such an original band. Not a lot of that kind of thing to grasp onto today. It seems 90% of the stars out there are created from reality TV, social media self-promotion and cookie cutter pop music song writers lazily crafting their next boring unimaginative hits for those current 'stars' and shoving it unapologetically down the mainstream's collective throat. It's easy and low hanging fruit, since their are no artists out there being allowed to truly develop, push the limits of creativity and there's nobody to compete with the bland, mind-numbing crap the puke out of their studio computers.

Freddie offers everything that the current 'rock stars' do not and that's why I believe it resonates.
    Last edited by Garywascooltoo; 05.24.19 at 11:33 AM.

Favorite VH Album

fw/f^&
    Favorite VH Song

fw/5150
    Last Online

09.17.19 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buster65 View Post
    Ok...I had thought I read about this here and wanted to give a thumbs up to the producer of this special on ABC...But I now cannot find the post which baffles me because this is basically the only music site I read....So if you are reading this Mr. you did a great job...

i love how they kind of ignore the Paul rogers era I remember when they first toured with him they acted like yes he is the man...……. now they at like he wasn't a fit ...
    pathetic, they played as queen for years before him. such a crock
    Last edited by crazyjbn; 05.24.19 at 01:28 PM.
    DAVE vs SAMMY

People need to let this go.....it is like comparing an ex wife to your current wife...you can say how things would have be different if she were still here but she left you, so you moved on with your life.....

Same with Van Halen...would they have liked to have Roth stay, yes...but he decided to leave so they moved on.......

and the rest is history….. well until 1996……..lol

http://forums.delphiforums.com/strictlyace750

http://mybestpet.com/bskool/welcome.asp

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

09.17.19 @ 06:00 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,545 Posts

Boy, 100% agree with the annoying way they screwed with the timelines, but I suppose I get it. Hollywood dramatic effect.

Freddie was a supremely talented guy, who by the luck of the universe met the right guys in Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon who all were also amazingly talented in their areas and could share the same vision for what they wanted to do. They were completely unafraid to be themselves, experiment and push the bounds of what was acceptable on all levels. In that regard, I think apart from the obvious chronological adjustments, the movie encapsulated that. And as you point out...for whatever reason, that resonated. I would like to believe it resonated because it was organic and genuine and they were such an original band. Not a lot of that kind of thing to grasp onto today. It seems 90% of the stars out there are created from reality TV, social media self-promotion and cookie cutter pop music song writers lazily crafting their next boring unimaginative hits for those current 'stars' and shoving it unapologetically down the mainstream's collective throat. It's easy and low hanging fruit, since their are no artists out there being allowed to truly develop, push the limits of creativity and there's nobody to compete with the bland, mind-numbing crap the puke out of their studio computers.

Freddie offers everything that the current 'rock stars' do not and that's why I believe it resonates.
    I think more than the time line tinkering was the part where Freddie became a real jerk and the band broke up. Now I have no doubt in my mind that Freddie could probably be full of himself at times, and maybe he even said mean things to the others, but the whole going solo and the band hasn’t played together for a long time before Live Aid was too much. Not sure what the longest time these guys ever went without touring or working on an album, but I doubt it was ever very long. At least not until they had to stop touring because of Freddie’s illness.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

09.17.19 @ 06:13 PM
    Liked 18,016 Times in 10,236 Posts

Premium Member

QUEEN's BRIAN MAY Defends Timeline Inaccuracies In 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Biopic: 'We Weren't Making A Documentary'

June 11, 2019

Brian May has defended the QUEEN biopic "Bohemian Rhapsody" against critics who have accused the filmmakers of twisting the band's actual timeline to create convenient drama for the movie.

"We weren't making a documentary," May told Guitar World. "It wasn't supposed to be 'This happened, and then this happened.' This was an attempt to get inside [late QUEEN singer] Freddie Mercury and portray his inner life — his drive, his passion, his fears and weaknesses. Also, we wanted to portray his relationship with us as a family, which was pretty much a part of what made him tick. And I think Freddie would love it, because it's a good, honest representation of him as a person."

May also expressed his surprise over "Bohemian Rhapsody"'s incredible success, having raked in more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office and four Academy Awards.

"I mean, who could have predicted it?" May asked rhetorically. "We thought it would do well with the fans, but we didn't imagine how fully it's been embraced. People are going to see it five, six times. They're singing along and crying. I met people in Asia who saw it 30 times. It's extraordinary. We couldn't be happier."

"Bohemian Rhapsody" came out last fall and stars Rami Malek as the iconic QUEEN frontman. Despite poor reviews and a problematic director (original director Bryan Singer was replaced by Dexter Fletcher during shooting), the film came out of the gate a massive hit and has since dethroned "Straight Outta Compton" to become the highest-grossing music biopic of all time.

In the film, Mercury's AIDS diagnosis comes earlier than it did it real life; before QUEEN's iconic 1985 Live Aid performance at Wembley Stadium, when, in reality, Mercury was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987.

Regarding any changes to the timeline of what actually happened in real life, QUEEN drummer Roger Taylor told Mojo magazine: "The important thing is it did happen. We're not telling lies. The chronology doesn't really matter."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/que...a-documentary/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen