Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default States Mull Taxing Drivers By Mile

I'm SO glad I moved out of California!

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's reasonable, and fits in well with the trend towards usage fees rather than broad tax initiatives. Here in MN our governor ran on a pledge of no new taxes, so we're calling new taxes user fees.

It'll cost an arm and a leg to implement.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    I'm SO glad I moved out of California!

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml

Shit bro, states have been doing this for years. Ask any independant truck driver out there. Truckers/Trucking companies have to pay whats called the "Road Use Tax." They are taxed yearly on the amount of miles they drive in each state.

They should have been doing this to cars, pickups and SUV's etc. for years. Everyone says that trucks ruin the road. One truck on the road is the equal to 10-20 cars. Depending on the weight of the cars. Someone said the Road Use Tax needs to be increased for trucks because of a bogus report that stated it takes 10,000 cars to prduced the damage of one semi. When all you have to do is take a semi at 80,000 pounds total, then figure the avg weight of a vehicle taking pickups, SUVs and cars in to this) to be, on average 4000 pounds. You do the math.

A road use tax for cars would encourage more use of public transportation. Car Pooling failed miserably.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I think it's completely absurd. There goes a huge incentive to buy economical vehicles. My 70 mile per day commute will fucking kill me in taxes. Not only that but it's like having big brother in your trunk. That road trip accross america you wanted to take with the kids to go see the smithsonian/wash. D.C.? Whew! Better save up for that fucker!!

I wish I could have more than just my vote and voice when shit like this comes up. Ridiculous.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    I think it's completely absurd. There goes a huge incentive to buy economical vehicles. My 70 mile per day commute will fucking kill me in taxes. Not only that but it's like having big brother in your trunk. That road trip accross america you wanted to take with the kids to go see the smithsonian/wash. D.C.? Whew! Better save up for that fucker!!

I wish I could have more than just my vote and voice when shit like this comes up. Ridiculous.
    I'm no expert on the issue, but it seems to me you could solve this problem by making the tax rate lower for more economical vehicles, and higher for gas guzzlers, etc.

But either way, MikeL is right -- the implementation of such a tax would be extremely expensive. So the owner of a 1979 Chevette has to install a GPS system in his car now to comply with this? Seems pretty silly. I think it would also be difficult to enforce. People can roll back their odometers pretty easy now, I would imagine it's just a matter of time before people figure out a way to block GPS transmissions or disable their GPS for long trips.
    Last edited by Guitar Shark; 02.15.05 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Chevette instead of Chevelle, lol

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Buy some votes, seen.

In the end, the roads will cost the same as they do now. This is just a different way of collecting the revenues to pay for them. Gas prices and DVD players in the minivan have already killed the great American family vacation.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    They should have been doing this to cars, pickups and SUV's etc. for years. Everyone says that trucks ruin the road. One truck on the road is the equal to 10-20 cars. Depending on the weight of the cars. Someone said the Road Use Tax needs to be increased for trucks because of a bogus report that stated it takes 10,000 cars to prduced the damage of one semi. When all you have to do is take a semi at 80,000 pounds total, then figure the avg weight of a vehicle taking pickups, SUVs and cars in to this) to be, on average 4000 pounds. You do the math.
    I don't know whether it makes a difference as far as road damage or not - but you gotta factor in that 80,000 pounds worth of cars are spread out over a wider area than 80,000 pounds worth of semi, so it would stand to reason that the semi would make a bigger "impression" on any given spot of pavement.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That'd be ground-pressure. I've got no idea what it is for a truck, but it's got to be higher than that of most cars. Figuring out the average ground pressure wouldn't be that tough, but how different surfaces react to it is something we'd need someone with some engineering experience to explain. I'm sure most surfaces don't react linearly to pressure, but it would be interesting to see how everything breaks down.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

This is ridiculous. I sure as hell don't want the goverment tracking my every move in my vehicle, knowing where I'm going and when I'm doing it (rush hour monitoring??). Somebody mentioned taxing people who buy "gas guzzlers", there is a GG tax that I'm about to fork out 1700 for on a car. If that's the way it's gotta be, I'd rather them just raise taxes on gas and be done with it. I really don't think this would ever fly anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I predict one day there will be a machine that measures happiness, and happier people will pay more taxes than miserable people. After all, it's not fair that some people are happier than others. Spread the misery.

Logically this mileage tax amounts to all roads being toll roads. Eventually we will all be forced into mass-transit, and there will be a motor-law.. hey, my uncle has this place in the country that no one knows about, and in his barn....

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The tax does not allow for equal protection and is therefore unconstitutional.

Example:

I live 20 miles from where I work, I will pay more taxes than people who live close to where they work. I drive 40+ miles a day, the nearest place to work is 12 miles away. Since I am disabled I cannot work most of those jobs because they are factory/agriculture. If this dumb-fuck tax goes through then I essentually work to pay the tax. I will loose my home.

Lucky for me, I live in a state with where voters can spark an initiative and over turn this unfair burden on the working class. If Arnold signs off on it we will recall his Kraut-ass too, faster than you can say "I'll be back".
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Given that where you live already directly affects the taxes you pay, I'd say your argument may not be very sound.

California is a horribly run state. You're smack dab in the middle of the rankings when it comes to taxation levels, yet you spend money as though there is no tomorrow.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was reading something recently about smart highways....there's actually government (your) money already being spent on this....I'll have to do some investigation to find out exactly what and where I read this, but essentially, all cars will have the means to exchange info with Big Brother...it's all under the guise of "safety", but it sounded similar to what is being discussed here.

Someone probably knows more about what I'm clumsily referring to, no?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't spend any money. My assembleman tries not to either, not that he could if he wanted too. Monterey County is considered "Rich", so we are usually last in line when it comes to state projects.

I you go simply by taxes then it looks like we are in the middle of the pack. The problem is that you also have to factor in state "Fees" that are not counted as taxes. If I want to put a new water heater in my home I now need a permit, which runs $45 bucks, some home owners pay a "Mosquitto Abaitment fee" that is added on to their property tax. The state and local counties have come up will all kinds of use fees and cleaning fees and health fees that don't count as tax, but come out of my wallet. 67% of my income goes to state and federal taxes.

The state's spending has been and is still out of control, I don't think Arnold can get a handle on it either. This is a monster that evolved under the Wilson(R) and Davis(D) administrations. California state employees were allowed to form powerful unions and in the 1990s tey were allowed to lobby. The singlemost powerful union is the state correctional officer's union. The average prison guard makes close to $100,000 or more a year. Their official salerie is $55,000, but then you factor in overtime and that often doubles because the average guard will work 50% of his time working overtime. The state's prision system is overcrowded, but the state can't afford to build new prisons any faster because of the high payroll at the DoC, plus when they build the new prisons they have to hire MORE GUARDS.
    Then there was the late 1990s, when the high-tech boom was starting to implode. this started back in 1998, everyone who was paying attention saw it coming. Nobody in Sacramento wanted to believe it and certainlty they didn't want to ask any uncomfortable questions (Like: "Your company lost $120 million this year and $55 million last year, why are you still in business?")
    What did the state do? They doubled spending between 1998 and 2001! Doubled spending with a tax base that dropped to near half of where it was in 1997. I'm not a college graduate but that's pretty stupid.

California is a state that makes it hard to live and own a business, the state had a net-loss of population last year as people begin to move out of this dying state. Those in power here are in a state of denail but they are begining to wake up and see it may be too late. Smaller towns have already found themselves cutting staff and closing librarys. King City actually closed it's city offices for one month because they had no money. I don't feel sorry though, local municipalities are even worse.

Example:

The City of Salinas floated bonds and gave away land to build the "International John Steinbeck Center", this was going to be the cornerstone of it's downtown regeneration. Their financial projections were based on growth numbers and tax revenues from 1995, when the project started, it never saw the economic bust. Now the city has to pay off those bonds and is now short on cash. The irony is that the city that boasts being the home to one of America's greatest writers now has no library (it closed in January due to budget shortfalls). Monterey Ccounty's answer to this budget problem is to over develope, build more homes. The average price will be $750 thousand per home (low-end). Did I tell you that the state of California is prone to draught? In 1974, when we had our first bad draught, it was detrurmined that the County would need to build a new dam because there wasn't enough water to supply that projects that were already on the books. 30 years later, no dam. They have a small water-desal plant but that's it.

This state's in trouble and nobody's doing anything about it. Here's some basic facts that support my case:

1. Coastal property is over-valued by amlost 50%. This stemms from the S&L scandles of the 1980s, where properties were over prices to "juice" the books. Also in the 1980s, the booming Japanese economy lead to Japanese investors paying way too much for realestate.

2. Illegal Immagration drains 1/3 or our budget to cover health and housing and schooling. The state is too chicken to address this issue let alone do anything about it and the federal goverment's attitude is "suck our collective dick, we're not giving you and extra dime to cover this problem".

3. The state has many redundant agencies to cover the same ground wasting tax money. The governer announced that he would like some consolidation.The state assembley and Senate immediately dug in their heels, many of these agencies are run by political cronies, people who funded Senator X's campain are given choice board and management positions. Yes, it's leagal.

4. High cost of living is forcing middle and working class people to leave the state. These are the people who run the water company, electric company, sewage plant, hospitals, clinics and fix the roads. The state will have to pay more in payroll to replace them.

I am looking a homes in Geogia and Tennessee where, if I can find work, my dollar will go farther and I can actually own my own home.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    The tax does not allow for equal protection and is therefore unconstitutional.
    I'm not defending the tax, but your statement above is inaccurate. You choose to live where you live, and to work where you work, the government does not impose that upon you.