Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Default Hockey star's mother perishes in firey crash

DAVIE, Fla. -- A Cherry Hill couple who traveled to Florida to care for an ailing relative have been killed in a fiery fuel tanker crash.

Florida authorities say 52-year-old Alan Klein and his 49-year-old wife, Debbie, died Saturday when the tanker crushed their car. The crash sparked a fire that burned hot enough to melt aluminum on a curving highway ramp.

Alan Klein's sister, Gloria Halpern, and another person also died in the crash. And the tanker driver remains hospitalized.

Halpern -- the mother of Washington Capitals hockey star Jeff Halpern -- had been caring for her ill father, and the Kleins had come to help out.

Alan Klein owned auto body shops and was a real estate investor, while his wife worked for the Philadelphia Stock Exchange.

"They were in that car, said Leon Levy, a family friend who spoke with NBC 10. "His name will not be forgotten."

Jeff Halpern has been playing for the Kloten Flyers in the Swiss Elite League during the NHL lockout. His mother was active in the Capitals' youth hockey program.

"Everyone in the Capitals family will truly miss Gloria. She was a longtime fan and part of the fabric of the hockey community," team president Dick Patrick said in a statement.

Flavio Santisteban, who had just filled his 9,000-gallon tanker at nearby Port Everglades, was hospitalized in fair condition after he and one of the car's victims jumped into a nearby pond in flames. No charges have been filed, but the investigation is ongoing.

Motorist Maria Thompson said the truck cut her off and was speeding on the ramp before toppling. She said she backed her car off the blocked ramp to get clear.

Rescue crews stayed away for two hours from the intense fire, punctuated by explosions as flames climbed 30 feet in the air.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Sucking Fad man!!! I know Halpern isn't a star hockey player in the NHL, but that's a damn shame to lose someone like that. Hopefully it was quick, but me thinks it wasn't. They had a lengthy article in the Washington Post Sunday about it. My heart and prayers go out to the Halpern family.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

To guys that know hockey like you, myself, Fanatic, Yankee, Halpern is a star. He's one of those guys that you really have to know about the game to understand how valuable Jeff Halpern is. He may not be a stand out player like a Jagr or Kovalchuk, but he's an essential piece in any NHL locker room. And for that reason, he'll always be a fave of mine.

I was really sorry to hear about this yesterday, and my thoughts go out to Jeff and his family.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Halpern is the essential hockey player any team would love to have. Halpern, Dahlin (sp??), and Kono were a great line for the Caps. He's not a "star" player like you said, but I would want him on my team. If they had a season I would have put him on my fantasy team.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

That's sad. Maybe it is good that the season is over, so Jeff Halpern has some time off after his mother dying, for sure he is messed up right now.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!