Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimebag Darrell

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Dimebag Darrell

Disturbed Frontman Felt Compelled To Do Benefit For Dimebag's Family

Within an hour of the shooting at the Alrosa Villa that left "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and four others dead, Disturbed frontman David Draiman's phone began ringing off the hook. And it didn't stop for almost 24 hours. Right then and there, he knew that something had to be done to pay tribute to his slain friend.

"I started making phone calls the day after I got the news. I knew that something had to be done to honor his memory. But then I was watching TV, and I saw that his family was auctioning off a bunch of his possessions on eBay," Draiman said. "I was like 'Damn, is the situation that dire?' If it had come to that, then I also knew that we had to do something to help his loved ones out."

So Draiman decided to organize a benefit concert for the Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund, which helps Abbott's family pay funeral expenses. And it wasn't difficult to find acts to fill the bill: Dimebag was a beloved figure in the heavy metal community.

"We wanted anyone who was close to Dime. And it wasn't a matter of finding the biggest acts we could get. I wanted people who knew him and loved him," Draiman said. "It just turned out that we got some of the biggest acts out there."

Anthrax, Drowning Pool and Soil will join Disturbed onstage February 23 at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom (tickets go on sale Saturday). It promises to be an emotional night, and Draiman wanted the perfect venue, which is why he chose the Aragon. It's a little dark, a little dank and a little dangerous. It's someplace that Dime would've approved of.

"We ended up choosing the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago because that's where I had seen the best Pantera shows," Draiman said. "That's the place that was the stereotypical metal venue. They called it the 'brawlroom.' It's just one big floor, and it's chaos. It's beautiful. And I couldn't think of doing it any other way. We could've brought the show to a bigger building, but it wouldn't have the same vibe."

And the venue won't be the only thing having special significance that night. While most Dimebag tributes have consisted of musicians leaving a shot of liquor onstage in his honor, Draiman promises a more elaborate — though equally touching — memorial.

"There was this story told at the funeral, regarding a guitar [that was made for] Dime, a Washburn that he only played a couple of times, made in the shape of a Crown Royal bottle," Draiman said. "Dime donated it to the Hard Rock in Orlando a few years back. That guitar is going to be flown out to Chicago for the show. And [Disturbed guitarist] Danny [Donegan] is going to play a song with that guitar.

"We're also going to just reminisce about the kind of guy Dime was. There's going to be a video montage, and we'll all do a Pantera and/or Damageplan cover or two," he continued. "It's going to be a night of brotherhood and support. Instead of dwelling on the facts of his death, we're trying to focus on the way he lived."

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Default Philip H Anselmo; On Behalf of Darrell Lance Abbott-Pt. I

Philip H Anselmo; On Behalf of Darrell Lance Abbott-Pt. I

I’ve been stumbling around in a coma of loss. No truer lyric has been written than “You don’t know what you’ve got, ‘til it’s gone.” To explain my side of things with the hiatus of Pantera, please give me a moment and think about what I say. Think.

I joined the band in late ‘86/early ‘87, and the chemistry clicked like a vice grip, we hit it off like four bad mother fuckers could. Perfection. Dime, Vince and Rex could play fucking anything. You pick the style, they could pull it off. So in reality we had to find out where our musical hearts lay strongest. After short deliberation, our intention was to be the most devastating ‘hard core-heavy metal’ band in the world.

You know, when the so called heavy metal press first got wind of ‘Cowboys from Hell’ they were absolutely unsure what to think. More bad reviews than good at the time. The Reason? They had never heard a band quite like us before, and I can’t blame the press or anyone for not hearing the full experience, but there were flashes in songs like ‘Primal Concrete Sledge’, and “Message in Blood’. Once again as I have said before, the press remained basically unimpressed, BUT, with the heavy metal audience, the phenomenon of Pantera had already begun. Slowly but surely, the fan base grew larger and larger (the best fans in the world I say still!)

The LP that I believe was the first ‘true’ Pantera LP was our second major release ‘Vulgar Display of Power’. As a band, our brotherhood and obvious originality and musicianship cemented us as one of the most feared and loved bands ever to step on a stage. That, is what we all lived for. We figured as long as our awesome audience was moved (head banging, skanking, stage diving, of course) we would play for us and them. Of course we had a deep connection with both our music and our audience, and we were also very different, image and attitude wise… It was extremely rare to see a lead vocalist or anyone with a shaved head unless you looked deep into the underground with bands like the Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, Rose Tattoo, etc…(I didn’t mean to leave anyone out). The difference between us and these great bands was the fact that we also had an insanely great guitar player who was respected alongside the best of the best, and a rhythm section so unique and tight, goddamn they were tight, tight is and always will be the word. I guarantee throughout our 17 year existence it would be extremely difficult to have one memory of Rex or Vince messing up or playing a part wrong ever. That to some people may be amazing or impossible, however I mean what I say 100 times over. They were the best damn musicians I’d ever seen or heard. Period.

With ’Far Beyond Driven’, our 3rd major offering, going to #1 on the Billboard top #200, it seems appropriate to say that some Rock Magazines were taking notice, one way or another. Guitar magazines throughout the world were right on the money by calling Dimebag the best axe man of the time. That was absolutely true and within his lead style, influenced by the likes of Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, Ace Frehley, and himself (it’s true, I believe most all great lead guitar players have their own style to hear and influence. By god Darrell had that type of talent and then some). His rhythms he came up with, in ways, probably became even more influential. His influences were extremely varied and unique from guys like James Hetfield (Metallica), Kerry King and Jeff Hannemen (Slayer), Judas Priest to Motorhead, AC/DC, ZZ top, Robin Trower and even some of the ultra underground bands I would play him. In all honesty he preferred a more accomplished guitar player than some of the rawer sloppier stuff that I adored, but what he did love about the rawer stuff was its all out assault on the ears. Bless him, he did love that. Within his style he commanded and demanded the best out of himself, and all of us around him. So I will say to everyone in Texas that ever called me a friend, and especially all of my brothers that helped work with us as Pantera on the road crew; I love all of you. To the fans in Texas, and the rest across America and the world, beware of the shit you read in rock magazines. When these pathetically titled ‘journalists’ (not all of them, but a lot still), had finally caught on to the fact that we, Pantera, had beaten all the odds a band could, and the press had no choice but to build us up until it seemed that they were all of a sudden desperate to make us supermen in the magazines, it was an assignment. It wasn’t true to them, they were getting paid for it. We weren’t supermen, just a great band. During our whole career, there were always those interviews where you could tell that the ’journalist’ didn’t know shit about our band, using wrong facts, whether they made us look good or bad, not knowing a thing about our characters, our musicianship, or our careers; asking the same questions, or as ’journalists’ love to do, just plain making up whatever they wanted. For every ‘journalist’ out there, these facts may or may not fit in with the way you personally do your work , but I know and so the fuck do you that this load of bullshit behavior, that thousands of fans read on a regular basis, is absolutely irresponsible, and it’s obvious that you truly don’t care about your responsibilities to the fans, or how many lives you truly destroy. It’s all about what sells magazines, isn’t it?

A month has gone by since we, his former band mates, his current band mates, his friends and fans around the world, have lost Dimebag. I can’t necessarily speak for them, but for me, it’s the first thing that comes to mind when I awake, if I sleep at all, still. It is also the last thing I think about as I lay down to rest. God damn it still hurts me. I want to be there for Vinnie Paul no matter how long it takes. I want to be there for Rita if she’ll have me. I want to be there for the Kat and the rest of the crew as well, people that have been a part of my life for 17 ½ years. Once again, I’m hoping my biggest hope; that they realize that the bad stuff written about our bands and ourselves was coerced nonsense made to sell magazines. Bare with me, please. I beg you all. By the way, all of the level headed fans that write in and offer support, that in itself is the best therapy I’ve received yet. I have considered retirement because of a broken heart, but also in my heart, I cannot let my fans down. As the days go by I realize that I’m at war with some things inside of myself, that I don’t mind sharing with you: I always, truly always, no matter if it was my own dreams just coming to the surface, if we, just the four of us, were to sit in a room together, we’d have been laughing, crying, and laughing again. The weight of the world would be lifted off of our shoulder as we hugged each other. Play together again? I have a suspicion that our fans would demand some type of reunion. My god I thought of that so many times and because what our fans wanted, they usually got. It may have taken a little longer, but think about how long it took the original Black Sabbath to play together again!?

Then in one night early December, 2004, an event changed the entire year and our entire lives into one of the cruelest sort. Some mentally disturbed individual …crushed the dream. He took one of the most talented, extroverted people ever to grace this earth. I’m crushed for the loss of my friend that I loved, for Vince his brother, for Jerry his father, for Rita his life companion, for all of his good friends, for every music fan that was inspired and loved his playing; especially those who were lost or were injured that night we lost Darrell. None of what I have said will ever bring him back, and it hurts so bad. I add very humbly in hope that no one else out there ever has to go through something like this; Keep your loved ones close.

Yours Truly, I can take no more at this time-

Philip H Anselmo
    http://www.philanselmo.com/

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Dimebag Darrell

Hey everybody,

I've been on this site awhile just don't get a chance to get on the net much these days and thought i'd like to comment on Dimebag.

In my mind this guy is and was the best guitarist since Eddie. And being a guitarist is not just who can make a great solo, its who can make a great song too. Dimebag and Eddie have more in common in these areas than the likes of any other except Steve Vai. I was absolutly shocked as all of us were when we heard. I was hopin that there would've been a Pantera reunion, just less than a month before he died i went to the CD shop and picked up a few of there albums because i just got a nice system in my new car ('94 z28 Camaro) and i needed some Pantera to crank. I had just finished seeing Van Halen for the first time in concert in Vancouver which was amazing.

I remember watching Pantera Home Video 3 and hearing "mean street" playing in the background when they were partying and shit.

I honestly think Dimebag has never gotten the respect he deserves, most VH fans (most likely hagar era fans) don't give him the respect he deserves even when the greatest guitarist of the last 30 years (eddie) comes and gives his regards (albeit unique) to one of his favourite guitarists, Dimebag Darrell.

Everyday i listen to Pantera and Van Halen, whether it be in my hockey game on my XBOX or in my car or in my DVD player watching their videos. Pantera is right up there in musical genius with Van Halen and Alice in Chains who are in my mind the greatest genius' in musical history.

I really needed to get this off my chest, cuz even to this day i don't know exactly what to say about someone who like Eddie helped me get through the day with his music. Helped me not shoot my brains out all over the wall. Helped me throught my major depression and major anxiety disorders that i have had to deal with since the age of 10.

I would really like to see a tribute album of some sort, maybe with all the Pantera band members and Damageplan memberss (alternate on tracks or something altho it should be mostly Pantera stuff i think just cuz of the amount of albums and such that Pantera has) and have guitarists alternating in and out of tracks, like maybe Eddie plays lead on "Psycho Holiday", cuz god knows i'd love to hear Eddie play some of Darrell's tracks, it would be both wicked and cool.

So here's to you brother Darrell, may we meet someday on the other side...
    1966-2004 R.I.P.
    Diamond Darrell

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey dude, first off them are some good words about Eddie and Dime. To say that most Van Halen fans dont respect Dime is kinda silly wether they are Hagar fans or not. I personally dont like Dimes music that much, I mean he rocked but his style just isnt my fav uno what i mean.I do give Dime all the credit in the world for living his life to the fullest and keeping the guitar shredding torch alive. just that alone is very cool the fact that he didnt back down to the stupid trends that were around. he kept going going! he did do some wicked shit though! But dude if you are depressed go get help and go to a pawn shop get rid of that gun and trade it in for a guitar !

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I also think Dime, and Zakk, are two greatest guitarists since EVH, that's why they were so close to each other. I can't say I like Pantera as much as Van Halen, but Dime's guitar work is outstanding. Listen to the end of 'Floods' - the solo there is beyond beautiful. He shreded when it fit the song, he also played slow to add emotion in his tone. If Eddie would pay a tribute to him, with his new Razorback, I don't know, I'll put him on the top of 'The Greatest Humans' in my opinion.

The Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

12.22.07 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dime

dime was a good.Pantera was an awsome band.It sucks when we lose musicians in their prime.Rhodes,SRV,ect...Lets remember one thing that applies to all of us

"WHEN THE LORD CALLS ROLL UP YONDER,YOU BETTER BE IN FORMATION"

got that from the millitary?somewhere? joey-tromollo

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:45 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    I also think Dime, and Zakk, are two greatest guitarists since EVH, that's why they were so close to each other. I can't say I like Pantera as much as Van Halen, but Dime's guitar work is outstanding. Listen to the end of 'Floods' - the solo there is beyond beautiful. He shreded when it fit the song, he also played slow to add emotion in his tone. If Eddie would pay a tribute to him, with his new Razorback, I don't know, I'll put him on the top of 'The Greatest Humans' in my opinion.
    Were they close? I read they only met once, and recently too...

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar
    Were they close? I read they only met once, and recently too...
    I've read Zakk jammed with Damageplan a lot

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vanhalendlrband
    Hey everybody,

I honestly think Dimebag has never gotten the respect he deserves, most VH fans (most likely hagar era fans) don't give him the respect he deserves even when the greatest guitarist of the last 30 years (eddie) comes and gives his regards (albeit unique) to one of his favourite guitarists, Dimebag Darrell.

You obviously didn't see this board BEFORE New Years when the hackers fucked it up and we lost all of 2004's posts, because if you would have seen all the posts and tributes to Dime, you wouldn't have made an ignorant comment like the one above.

EVERYONE, a fan of Dime or not, CVH fans, Hagar era fans, gary fans....EVERYONE posted their respect for DIME.

To say "most VH fans" didn't give Dime respect is beyond stupid.

RIP DIME

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:45 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    I've read Zakk jammed with Damageplan a lot
    You're right - I misread your post. I was thinking that you said that Eddie and Dime were close... Sorry 'bout that!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw

To say "most VH fans" didn't give Dime respect is beyond stupid.
    in his mind - "most VH fans" = Van Hagar fans - for whatever the fuck that means...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Default WAAF Indoor Beach Party; Damageplan

Boston's WAAF 107.3 FM has announced that surviving DAMAGEPLAN members Patrick Lachman, Vinnie Paul and Bob Zilla will attend the 2005 WAAF Indoor Beach Party on Saturday, April 9 at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell, MA. DAMAGEPLAN headlined the annual concert event in 2004 and has chosen to make one of their first public appearances since Dimebag's untimely death at the upcoming annual event.

The lineup for the 2005 WAAF Indoor Beach Party includes Zakk Wylde's BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SKINDRED and NONPOINT. Tickets are available through Tsongas Arena and Ticketmaster.

A history of friendship and support stands between Dimebag Darrell and the 2005 headliner, Zakk Wylde of BLACK LABEL SOCIETY.

Vinnie Paul had this to say: "DAMAGEPLAN had the opportunity to headline the WAAF Indoor Beach Party last year and it was a blast… Glad to see the tradition continue with BLACK LABEL SOCIETY.

"WAAF is a true rock radio station in every sense of the word and we really appreciate their support of PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN over the years. It will be an honor to be in attendance this year as WAAF and BLACK LABEL SOCIETY pay tribute to the baddest MF I ever knew, my brother Dimebag Darrell… Let's have some black tooths and keep on keeping on…Getcha pull!!!"

Zakk honors Darrell Abbott on the newly released BLACK LABEL SOCIETY album, "Mafia", in the form of the song "In this River". Wylde is also heard on the track "Soulbleed" on DAMAGEPLAN's 2004 album, "New Found Power".

WAAF is offering a limited-edition t-shirt as a tribute to Dimebag Darrell. All proceeds from the sales of this piece will be donated to the Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund. The fund covers bereavement and medical expenses for the victims and their families. The t-shirt may be purchased through www.waaf.com or at the April 9 WAAF Indoor Beach Party.
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=34614

The WAAF Indoor Beach Party is only weeks away, and with the countdown in place we have been making HUGE announcements and updates heating up the show. In case you missed anything here some exciting highlights:

Added to the bill: Special Guests Vinnie Paul, Pat Lachman and Bob Zilla will make an appearance on stage with Zakk Wylde to honor past Damageplan bandmate Dimebag Darrell.

http://www.waaf.com/extra/extra01.shtml

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

That concert will be one of the most emotional (concert) moments of Dimebags family, friends and fans....wish I could be there!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is going to be an amazing show, I wish I could go too!!! I still can't believe that Dimebag is gone....damn shame!!!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    Boston's WAAF 107.3 FM has announced that surviving DAMAGEPLAN members Patrick Lachman, Vinnie Paul and Bob Zilla will attend the 2005 WAAF Indoor Beach Party on Saturday, April 9 at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell, MA. DAMAGEPLAN headlined the annual concert event in 2004 and has chosen to make one of their first public appearances since Dimebag's untimely death at the upcoming annual event.

The lineup for the 2005 WAAF Indoor Beach Party includes Zakk Wylde's BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SKINDRED and NONPOINT. Tickets are available through Tsongas Arena and Ticketmaster.

A history of friendship and support stands between Dimebag Darrell and the 2005 headliner, Zakk Wylde of BLACK LABEL SOCIETY.

Vinnie Paul had this to say: "DAMAGEPLAN had the opportunity to headline the WAAF Indoor Beach Party last year and it was a blast… Glad to see the tradition continue with BLACK LABEL SOCIETY.

"WAAF is a true rock radio station in every sense of the word and we really appreciate their support of PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN over the years. It will be an honor to be in attendance this year as WAAF and BLACK LABEL SOCIETY pay tribute to the baddest MF I ever knew, my brother Dimebag Darrell… Let's have some black tooths and keep on keeping on…Getcha pull!!!"

Zakk honors Darrell Abbott on the newly released BLACK LABEL SOCIETY album, "Mafia", in the form of the song "In this River". Wylde is also heard on the track "Soulbleed" on DAMAGEPLAN's 2004 album, "New Found Power".

WAAF is offering a limited-edition t-shirt as a tribute to Dimebag Darrell. All proceeds from the sales of this piece will be donated to the Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund. The fund covers bereavement and medical expenses for the victims and their families. The t-shirt may be purchased through www.waaf.com or at the April 9 WAAF Indoor Beach Party.
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=34614

The WAAF Indoor Beach Party is only weeks away, and with the countdown in place we have been making HUGE announcements and updates heating up the show. In case you missed anything here some exciting highlights:

Added to the bill: Special Guests Vinnie Paul, Pat Lachman and Bob Zilla will make an appearance on stage with Zakk Wylde to honor past Damageplan bandmate Dimebag Darrell.

http://www.waaf.com/extra/extra01.shtml
    Man, Boston/Mass. has been lucky the last year or so. The Pats, the Sox, the Extreme reunion show, DLR for New Year's (I think??) and now this! Must be nice for all you chowdah-heads up theah.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"