Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldano SLO-100

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Default Soldano SLO-100

I made a trip to the guitar store last night to check out some amps. Played the Lone Star Boogie, Stilleto Trident (not impressed) and an SLO. Been playing for 10+ years and never even seen one of these, so I had to play it. HOLY smokes that is a hot amp! I was very highly impressed with the gain structure and the smoothness of the gain at low gain settings (unlike the 5150 that ripped it off). To any of you SLO owners, man that's a great sound--hats off to you. Too bad they're $3000+.
    Last edited by mk5; 02.11.05 at 02:33 PM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default SLO for the common man

A little secret, that's not much of a secret. Before the SLO, Mike Soldano designed an amplifier for Yamaha. The T-100. Same amp. Call the guys at Soldano, they will tell you. There is a $50 mod you can have them do to the amp to perfectly match the amp, but the tech at Soldano I talked to said that no one in their shop can hear the difference. "Choke Mod." The T-100 is the prototype for the SLO.

I had one for a long time. Absolutely was a great amp, and they can be found on ebay for $400 ish. Even in combo form. Right on the back it says, "Designed by Mike Soldano."

Snag one, and laugh at the posers.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stratogibson
    A little secret, that's not much of a secret. Before the SLO, Mike Soldano designed an amplifier for Yamaha. The T-100. Same amp. Call the guys at Soldano, they will tell you. There is a $50 mod you can have them do to the amp to perfectly match the amp, but the tech at Soldano I talked to said that no one in their shop can hear the difference. "Choke Mod." The T-100 is the prototype for the SLO.

I had one for a long time. Absolutely was a great amp, and they can be found on ebay for $400 ish. Even in combo form. Right on the back it says, "Designed by Mike Soldano."

Excellent post.

I always think of "Sucker In a 3-Piece" when I think of Soldano, even though I'm not sure he used one for that track. It's the one track whose gain structure doesn't match the others on that album.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Stratogibson,

Thanks for the tip It's funny, my best bud who plays told me about the T-100 a few years back. I'll check it out.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stratogibson

Great...I knew about the T-100 but I didn't realize it was that close to an SLO. So eBay, here I come.

Last Online

OK, so I am in the process of buying a Yamaha T50C right now. If I end up liking it, I'll sell off another amp and break even.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    OK, so I am in the process of buying a Yamaha T50C right now. If I end up liking it, I'll sell off another amp and break even.
    Guys, I found this Q/A page w/ Mike Soldano last night. Check out what he said about the Yamaha T-50 & 100's:

"Okay Vince, here's the deal on the Yamaha T50 and T100 amps. I did design those amps for Yamaha back in the late '80s. And yes, I did get paid a "healthy sum" for my services (ha,ha,ha!). Design-wise, it's a very good amp - it wouldn't have done me any good to have my name associated with a piece of junk, now would it? Of course Yamaha had certain design features that they wanted to see - but, for the most part, they left how the amp sounded up to me. Therefore, the gain structure, voicing, reverb, etc. are quite similar to what you'll find in my SOLDANO amps. I had nothing to do with the final physical design or production of those amps. Construction and quality-wise, the Yamahas were no SOLDANOs by any means, but they were still fairly well built units. I felt, at the time, they were a good value - they packed a lot of bang for the buck.

I should point out, however, that there are a few things that Yamaha did that I wasn't happy about on those amps. First, mainly as an effort to reduce costs, they eliminated the filter choke in the power supply and replaced it with a large power resistor. While this is quite a common and acceptable practice in low wattage amps or preamplifiers, I feel that in higher powered amps it hinders the amp's ability to deliver good, punchy low end at higher volumes. The reason for this is that the resistor causes the high voltage supply to drop, or "sag", during times of high demand (such as "chugging" on the low E string), whereas the choke doesn't. Fortunately, this problem is easily remedied by removing the resistor and wiring in a choke. Any competent tech can handle this job, or you can send the amp out to my shop and have us do it for you. The second thing I didn't like was the choice of speakers in the combo amps. Those amps were equipped with 100w Celestions, which I thought sounded very "stiff" and sterile. My last complaint with those amps is a change that was made to the reverb circuits after the amp went into production. They really screwed things up on that, and to this day I still don't know what the hell they were trying to do. All I know is that it made the reverb very weak and lifeless. I opposed the revision, but they went ahead and did it anyway. The early amps had my original design, and the late amps can be modified to get them back to that design."

Here's the link to the interview: http://www.musicianshotline.com/arch...2002/08_02.htm
    Last edited by mk5; 02.12.05 at 12:07 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Probably the best amp out there.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Hey Kowski,

Did you ever get the T-50? If so, how's the sound?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    Hey Kowski,

Did you ever get the T-50? If so, how's the sound?
    Nah, my computer crapped out and I bought a new computer instead. I'll probably look for another one soon, though.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.19.14 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default t50 Guitar Head

If anyone is interested, I have my t50 head up for sale on ebay. It had the filter choke mod done & new Ruby tubes installed at Soldano Custom Amplification in Seattle a little over a year ago. It's definitely cool. Thanks.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Very helpful info, folks. I've deemed the SLO-100 my next major high-gain amp purchase (when the cash is available to surrender, that is), and this Yamaha thing is indeed something to look into. Yeah!

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Very helpful info, folks. I've deemed the SLO-100 my next major high-gain amp purchase (when the cash is available to surrender, that is), and this Yamaha thing is indeed something to look into. Yeah!
    I've done more searching since then, and I think the defining secret to the SLO sound is the DeYoung transformers. You can't get them as an aftermarket item. However, you can get very very similar ones from a dude named Bud Purvine at O-Netics.

Soldano SLOs have Deyoung Hi-Fi transformers. All other Soldanos have Mercury Magnetics transformers. That's what separates the SLO from the pack, and why no other Soldano sounds just like an SLO.

Still haven't heard a Yamaha T-50 or T-100, but I've heard differing reports. Anyway, happy searching.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've played the SLO bro and all I have to say is it's a one trick pony. It does that trick very well but IMO you'd be better off looking into a Bogner XTC Classic or a Fuchs ODS/TDS 100.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    I've done more searching since then, and I think the defining secret to the SLO sound is the DeYoung transformers. You can't get them as an aftermarket item. However, you can get very very similar ones from a dude named Bud Purvine at O-Netics.

Soldano SLOs have Deyoung Hi-Fi transformers. All other Soldanos have Mercury Magnetics transformers. That's what separates the SLO from the pack, and why no other Soldano sounds just like an SLO.

Still haven't heard a Yamaha T-50 or T-100, but I've heard differing reports. Anyway, happy searching.
    Not sure if your right with this statement on the transformers, I'd believe it more if it came from soldano themselves that the slo's sound is better due to a Deyoung transformer
    I'm no tech expert, but a slightly better transformer can improve your sound?
    If that were the case, wouldn't you see more people putting Deyoungs in their amps (any) as after-market mods, like valves etc. ???

Regarding soldano's, yes they are way over priced, but that sound at gig volume will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, no 'mush' here, total clarity, so watch out for those 'duff' notes.
    I used marshall's for over 20 years, great amps and a 5150 (didn't like the effects loop) then got the chance to play a slo and a decatone side by side at gig volume, job done... I opted for the decatone, more versitile.
    Yes, it was a stupid price to pay for an amp, but pitched against (IMO) one of those PRS 'looks like a piece of furniture' guitars, didn't seem too bad

The only advice I can offer if you did buy a soldano is...
    Buy a used one, get it revalved and most of all play it through a variety of cabs, 2x12, 4x12, open and closed backed, till you find the sound you like, then buy that cab, I wouldn't recomend a soldano cab, purely because of price, but make sure its wood ply, not that crappy compressed wood that some companies use.
    Only get one if your in a regular giging or semi pro band and balls to the snob factor people put to the name, they're only wishing they had a sound like it

Regarding the Yamaha, I've never heard one at volume but did try one out many years back, it didn't force me to change from my marshall at the time.
    But I don't think you ever get the true potential of an amp in a guitar store.