Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Vito Bratta tribute!

Hey guys I thought it was about damn time and might be a good idea to start a thread giving praise to Vito Bratta. I remember when I was maybe in 8th or 9th grade when I first found one of my older brothers White Lion tape (im 23 [halfway to 46 ] now so I was kinda young), and even though my knowledge was only so much at the time, I really thought that Vito kicked ass. I actually took the time to start writing a letter to guitar magazine about how if Eddie ever left this world [fingers crossed] then Vito would be the man to fill his spot in VH! How corny is that of me? But he really had some kick ass tone and could play, I mean all those ed prototypes could play but I thought he stood out, he wasnt just a shredder. Does anyone know how to get that clean sound on "Little Fighter" in the intro? Is that just a strat clean or what? ooo and maybe brett or whoever can put this thread up with the ebay and gear threads etc so we wont ever have to dig it up! A wee-bop-a-loo-bop and shes my baybay/

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default re ;vito

when i think of him , i think he should be paying evh royalties. for copying everything eddie did.imho//////////

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Yes, Vito was the best of the wannabees.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Last Online

01.14.12 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i listened to Vito because in between vh albums I needed an edfix and there was Vito out there ripping him off to the tee...hell, he even looks like ed. imo, he was ed without the spontaneity, creativity, musical genius or the ability to innovate on the instrument....where most guys had the sense rip off a piece here and there of Ed's technique, Vito said to hell with that, I'm going to rip his style entire style, at least he had the sense not to stripe his guitars up.
    it's due to guys like Vito that today Ed's one time completely unique sound and style is so mainstream and underappreciated by today's rockers.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by variac
    it's due to guys like Vito that today Ed's one time completely unique sound and style is so mainstream and underappreciated by today's rockers.
    YEAH! Ed should be like Alan Holdsworth--a guy no one's heard of and whose music is harder to come by than Eddie's is right now.

In all seriousness, Vito was one of the best guitarists around. To come that close to duplicating what Ed did on the guitar, you'd have to be one of the best.
    As far as his lack of creativity/improv/spontaneity, I thought he did amazing fills and things live. It seemed like it was off the cuff, but whether it really was or not, does it matter (a la Steve Vai)?
    Last edited by Hulk5150; 02.11.05 at 05:57 AM.
    Click HERE to see my Superhero-themed classroom!

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vito was a good player and wrote some decent songs with White Lion. I liked their first two albums on Atlantic a lot. I think Vito was thought of as more of a clone because he was the quiet dark-haired guitar player with a blonde lead singer. I don't think he ripped off more than anyone else. His playing always seemed more technical than loose to me. His solos always had a start and end point and followed the same map, that was one criticism he faced back then. Also his tone was more mid-range than Eddie's, not as warm.

I saw them live in 1989 and they were bad. Vito tried to play too many lead fills and the songs fell apart. Plus, Mike Tramp would run around so much he couldn't breathe to sing.

Too bad Vito got bad Carpal-Tunnel and can't play anymore. I think if he had loosened up he could have found his own style.

FYI - The clean tone on Little Fighter is from a Steinberger with EMG active pickups.

Last Online

05.14.08 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ha thread is making me remember my highschool days(class of 90). Back when we used to call him Vito "IwantotbeEddie" Brata.At least he played a cool Steinberger.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Last edited by voivod; 02.11.05 at 07:54 AM.

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    good one

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kick ass thread! Damn, is that really a steinbrenner? I thought he used a strat or a hot rodded strat like all the other posuers, i think I remember seeing him on the back of teh greatest hits album rockin a strat, but that clean sound on little fighter is tasty!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I am not a big White Lion fan, but I like Vito. His solo on White Lion's Radar Love is incredible!
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

A few of you guys are certifiably nuts, I swear.

It's because of guys like Vito and Nuno that Eddie's TRUE influence was actually *derivatively* felt. Thank goodness for those players, my gosh! They finally got it RIGHT!

Let's not forget, the final important piece of Vito's playing was Randy Rhodes.

Vito is just the best. He's great in so many ways, it's not even funny. The first to really be "raised" by Eddie, and play "the right way". Along with DiMartini, Rhodes, and Bettencourt.

And now, I leave you with VHaholic immitating Vito with his PAF:

"Wait" Quick clip

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Majestic dude, that clip is fucking sick! Im putting it in my ipod ASAP. I dont know if you were serious but Vito is the man. Dude your sound is ill! Thats the sound I want! Teach me bro teach me! Can you tell me what rig you are using or something that shit would make Vito proud!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

That's not me.....it's VHaholic, who frequents these forums from time to time.

He's using his Frankentstrat equipped with a Duncan '59. I think he used his Marshall on this one.

If you visit the Duncan forums, you'll find all kinds of clips buried in his "sig" when he posts a message.

The key to Vito's tone, IMO, is clarity, which you can get through a low-output PAF style pickup like a '59, or an active pickup like an EMG 85. If the individual notes in the chords sound like mush, then you'll never get Vito's "sparkle".

Last Online

07.05.05 @ 02:35 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vito's tone is on Pride and Big Game was the result of his guitar signal going to a clean and dirty amp simultaneously, this was then blended for the desired effect.

Personally I thought Vito was superb, Tramp was horrid, its a real loss that he is no longer out there.