Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.03.05 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Question about the guitar on the cover of VH1.

Did EVH use a Floyd Rose for that album or a vintage strat bridge? The divebombs seem to suggest the former but whenever I see a picture of the guitar it seems to have some sort of strat bridge. I'm asking because I want to build a facsimile and could use advice on which components to seek out (body, neck, electronics, etc.)

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

It's a standard Strat bridge. Floyd Rose trems weren't even out yet. The body and neck were from Boogie Bodies, now Warmoth. The body was swamp ash and the neck, as you can probably tell, is maple with a maple fretboard. The pickup was an original Gibson Patent-Applied-For humbucker, although you could put other stuff in there for a replica. Seymour Duncan makes an "EVH" humbucker that goes for $160, but there are many other models that will work well.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought it was the other ash, northern ash or whatever "the baseball bat" kind...I recall him saying it was real heavy like a les paul or something, and swamp ash is kind of a lightweight wooooood correct? However, i wouldnt put it past him to lie his ass off about what kind of wood he used to throw all those copycat wannabes off....like you....and me...the rest of the community here at vhlinks.....and vito bratta.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dainjerus
    I thought it was the other ash, northern ash or whatever "the baseball bat" kind...I recall him saying it was real heavy like a les paul or something, and swamp ash is kind of a lightweight wooooood correct? However, i wouldnt put it past him to lie his ass off about what kind of wood he used to throw all those copycat wannabes off....like you....and me...the rest of the community here at vhlinks.....and vito bratta.
    People actually aspire to copy Vito Bratta?
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Last Online

09.17.09 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah here's a site all about it:
    http://www9.ocn.ne.jp/~evinda/english.html
    it is northern ash.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.03.05 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. It was extremely helpful. I forgot to ask about the striping. I saw pictures of Edward applying 3M tape to those custom guitars that recently came out but other than that I'm a bit lost as to how to mimic this process. Any words of wisdom concerning this?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 571 Posts

why couldnt he be like page, and just use a les paul and a fuzz box! that would make it to simple, but it just wouldnt be ed i guess
    Last edited by VanZeppelin667; 02.10.05 at 07:49 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
    Thanks for the information. It was extremely helpful. I forgot to ask about the striping. I saw pictures of Edward applying 3M tape to those custom guitars that recently came out but other than that I'm a bit lost as to how to mimic this process. Any words of wisdom concerning this?
    3M makes really good masking tape in different widths now, designed to peel off more easly too, not like in the olden days when Ed had to walk five miles in the snow drifts of Pasadena to shoplift a standard 1/2 width role of masking tape. Nope, you youngin's got it too easy, just head down to the hardware emporium of your choice and pick from something like 120 different kinds of tape.

We didn't have the internet then either, we communicated using tribal drims and carrier pigeons. Spam was somethin' we ate.

Anyway, dark colors first. If your paint job sucks, sandit off and start over.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.12 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure about these things, but I figured I'd throw them out and maybe someone else can verify them (I'm about 90% sure of both). Ed's first neck on the VH1 guitar had 22 frets, not 21 like common strats. You can see it in some close ups from old pictures, like the Van Halen tribute Guitar World back in May (has a black and white photo of Ed circa '78 on the cover with stripes around the edge).

I also think the guitar had an oversized strat headstock. Also, and I'm really not sure of this, but I've actual seen pictures where the stage lights glare on the headstock just right and it looks like there was a Gibson logo rubbed off. Kinda weird.
    "People say that life is a cesspool of darkness and dispair. Well we of Van Halen are sailing through it in a yacht!"--David Lee Roth