Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Bob_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.18.01
    Posts
    7,207
    Last Online

    12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default Dell or Gateway?

    I'm thinking of purchasing a new computer and it's probably going to be a Dell or a Gateway.

    What's your opinion of these two computer manufacturers?

    What do you guys own?

    Any others worth purchasing?

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk FH's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.12.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    Bass Ackwards, NC
    Posts
    12,432
    Last Online

    10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Dell. Isn't Gateway going under?

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Bob_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.18.01
    Posts
    7,207
    Last Online

    12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FH
    Dell. Isn't Gateway going under?
    Not that I'm aware of bro. But, I guess it's a possibility.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk ZeoBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    41
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,830
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Likes
    54
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    Not that I'm aware of bro. But, I guess it's a possibility.
    Dude, get a Dell. Gateway did file chapter 11, and from what I have heard, their customer service and support completely sucks. Dell is by far the more superior manufacturer.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

    www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

  5. #5
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Go to Dell.

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    07.23.02
    Age
    41
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    5,444
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 09:05 AM
    Likes
    97
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    We use Dell here at work and they're pretty good computers. My dad still has an ancient Gateway and it sucks, especially for downloading porn
    Rock the Red!!!

    "Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

    "Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

    Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    11,536
    Last Online

    03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    I don't do business with Dell anymore. I've ordered two home machines from them over the years, and dozens of them for work. The small (small) amounts of money that I've saved with them has consistently come back to bite me in the ass.

    Couple of examples. The last home machine I bought arrived with the hard drive power cable broken off from the drive. There's two bad things there: whoever hooked it up didn't give a shit about what they were doing, because that's about as easy as it gets to do right. Second, whatever their claims are about testing systems before they ship aren't quite what they're cracked up to be. Pretty tough to test and pass a system when the hard drive isn't getting any power... It's not as though it just wasn't connected, either. The plastic housing on the drive was broken off. Very nice.

    Every time I've called Dell support, it's been a disappointing experience. Long, long hold times, being "transfered" to another tech, only to be dumped to the bottom of the que at the phone menu, and genuinely stupid people on the other end of the phone. "Sir, what is on the monitor when you restart the system?" "Nothing, because for the fourth time the monitor is DEAD!" We had next day replacement warranties on those machines, and the monitor they sent me as a replacement took two weeks to show up, and was DOA. Got to do the it's DEAD dance again.

    They also shipped us a batch of machines that pause on startup about 10% of the time, for about 20 minutes. That's unlike anything I've seen before. The folks at Dell were unwilling to do a damn thing about it. At one point they asked if I was near a nuclear power plant, as they'd seen that behavior in a batch of machines at a nuke plant. How comforting.

    Anyways, what you should buy depends entirely upon your budget and your needs. Without knowing them, nobody can make a good recommendation for you. If you're on the low-end, HP's Compaqs have kept me happy the past few years. Nothing special, but reliable and cheap. If you want the best possible experience with the fewest problems, buy an Apple.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    Go to Dell.
    Or, option C: build your own. That is the way I do it everytime.

  9. #9
    The Joker BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.21.04
    Posts
    2,332
    Last Online

    06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    If you’re going to get one or the other, I would suggest a Dell. To be honest though, you’d be better off getting a Falcon, Alienware, or a custom built one from a local shop.

    They may be a little more expensive, but you will be getting a far superior PC.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk ZeoBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    41
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,830
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Likes
    54
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I don't do business with Dell anymore. I've ordered two home machines from them over the years, and dozens of them for work. The small (small) amounts of money that I've saved with them has consistently come back to bite me in the ass.

    Couple of examples. The last home machine I bought arrived with the hard drive power cable broken off from the drive. There's two bad things there: whoever hooked it up didn't give a shit about what they were doing, because that's about as easy as it gets to do right. Second, whatever their claims are about testing systems before they ship aren't quite what they're cracked up to be. Pretty tough to test and pass a system when the hard drive isn't getting any power... It's not as though it just wasn't connected, either. The plastic housing on the drive was broken off. Very nice.

    Every time I've called Dell support, it's been a disappointing experience. Long, long hold times, being "transfered" to another tech, only to be dumped to the bottom of the que at the phone menu, and genuinely stupid people on the other end of the phone. "Sir, what is on the monitor when you restart the system?" "Nothing, because for the fourth time the monitor is DEAD!" We had next day replacement warranties on those machines, and the monitor they sent me as a replacement took two weeks to show up, and was DOA. Got to do the it's DEAD dance again.

    They also shipped us a batch of machines that pause on startup about 10% of the time, for about 20 minutes. That's unlike anything I've seen before. The folks at Dell were unwilling to do a damn thing about it. At one point they asked if I was near a nuclear power plant, as they'd seen that behavior in a batch of machines at a nuke plant. How comforting.

    Anyways, what you should buy depends entirely upon your budget and your needs. Without knowing them, nobody can make a good recommendation for you. If you're on the low-end, HP's Compaqs have kept me happy the past few years. Nothing special, but reliable and cheap. If you want the best possible experience with the fewest problems, buy an Apple.
    We use Dells at work and I have a few at home. I guess I have had about 10 of their computers over the years, both laptops and desktops. I have never had a single problem with any of them. I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with them.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

    www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    11,536
    Last Online

    03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Why are you sorry? Unless you work for Dell, it's not your fault.

    I'm quite confident that my experiences haven't been the norm, but at the same time I know they're not terribly uncommon, either.

  12. #12
    Hot For Teacher Garibaldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.11.04
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    244
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Last Online

    09.18.12 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Pricing out computers is one of my work functions. So here's my 2 cents
    Dell is the best bet here as far as the big computer makers. You can save a couple bucks and get a PC from www.delloutlet.com (their referb site). Make sure to get one that has free shipping though...otherwise it's $99!! I've gotten a bunch of PC's from there and it's pretty slick. Otherwise, buy from Dell's Small Business, you'll save a couple extra bucks there too. Just use your name as the business name. Dell's support is really good as long as it's not an "outside the box" type scenerio.

  13. #13
    Good Enough T.RYAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.10.02
    Age
    41
    Location
    Boise,Idaho
    Posts
    2,063
    Favorite VH Album

    II
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Custom build your own IMO. Dell Gateway,HP,Compaq, etc....... all use parts that are built by the person that lower bid the person the week before.(some parts are diffrent) but if you custom build the ability to upgrade is much more available and the parts are much higher in quality. You can buy each part individually and get alot of feedback about that part vs. being stuck with what the big names provide which is much lower in quality and alot of times not upgradeable. It will usuallly cost a bit more upfront but the upgrades over the years and upkeep is much cheaper in the long run. Basically what you see is what you get with most of the brand name comps, more like an appliance then a computer. Just my 2 pennies from a guy who sells them everyday.
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

    Never pet a burning dog.

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.06.01
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,351
    Last Online

    06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default


    "?"

    I've have a dell at work and it's very reliable.....
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

    My Hurricane Katrina pics

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Bob_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.18.01
    Posts
    7,207
    Last Online

    12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buschman
    My dad still has an ancient Gateway and it sucks, especially for downloading porn
    You should be ashamed of yourself for downloading porn on your Dad's computer.

    Unless of course it's for him.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to buy a Dell Laptop (Need Advise)
    By Kevy5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10.02.06, 07:27 PM
  2. DELL is great for porn...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03.19.06, 12:12 AM
  3. 'Dell Dude' Arrested for Pot
    By FH in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.11.03, 08:04 AM
  4. VH Gateway Commercial
    By Van Gully in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08.24.00, 04:15 AM
  5. Dave on Gateway Commercial
    By Diver Down in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08.22.00, 04:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •