Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The Steroid Thread

There is a reason I did not place this within the confines of the MLB Thread...the folk running the show there are doing a fine job, and I simply do not wish to hi-jack the thread with this:

Apparently, a few excerpts from Jose Conseco's new "tell-all" book made their way to the pages of the New York Daily News (I think, regarding the paper) on Sunday, and since then, the baseball world has been in an uproar, if one believes ESPN.

Jose goes on about steroids, their use and actually names names in this tabloid "book".

He names Mark Maguire, who you may or may not remember that along with Chicago's Sammy Sosa, brought many folk back to baseball in the summer of 1998.

Pundits are saying the "Home Run Chase" of '98 is now tainted.
    That ANY home run record in the past few years is similiarly painted with the same brush.

Let us despense with Conseco's character or motives here. I have personally witnessed this man arrive at a local park in his loud sportscar, to meet and greet a group of young baseball fans including toddlers, then proceed to whip out a stack of 8 x 10 photos, a pen and a Folder's coffee can to collect 25 DOLLARS A POP for a signed picture.

So taking Coseco out of this...

My thrust is this: Do you feel these records should show an asterisk beside them, are you maddened, or do you simply not care?

Through conversations with friends, we are all split pretty even...I'm intrigued to see how you folk feel.

craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Nah, I don't think there should be an aterisk next to their records. With all due respect to some of the great players of 20, 30, 40yrs ago and so on, who knows if they were on the juice or not. It's been in MLB for years now, and many guys have prospered because of the drug.

Let's take Brady Anderson. This cat was never a pure power hitter, then all of a sudden he bulks up and hits over 50?!?! People get on Bonds for getting bigger, but atleast he's done it over time. Brady came out of nowhere with that great homerun season he had. It's not fair because many players have played the game without the extra help of a drug, and were great players due to all the hard work they put in. But I guess it's just the way it is, or was I should say.

Baseball can be against this all they want, which I think is good by the way, but without Sosa and McGwire, MLB is still in the shitter. It's ashame that these guys had to enhance themselves in the way they did, but truth be told it did get the sport back in the hearts of many again. It's hardly America's pasttime anymore though. Football has clearly taken over.

As for Jose, I worshiped the Bash Bros. when I was younger. Every time I boght a pack of TOPPS or Donross, I always looked for Canseco and Mac in the pack. Now I just wish Jose would go away instead of trying to cash in on a quick buck.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

1st: What kind of coffee is Folders?
    No asterisk unless any player tested positive for an illegal substance.
    If guys like Bonds, Sosa and Big Mac (and others) ever admit to using illegal substances I will be pissed, but here is a thought on performance enhancing substances: 1st off: great eyesight is a huge factor in baseball and other sports (right?). If someone is all bulked up on roids and can't see the ball well, then it isn't worth a shit. If you can't see the ball well, react quick enough to hit the ball, it's a swing and miss. How much more power does roids actually give? Cork doesn't do shit really as far as distance, it just makes the bat lighter and you can swing faster but with less velocity behind it because of less weight. Sooo, what is the difference? Is it because it is illegal?? YES! Does it help you hit the ball...not really. Aren't contacts and glasses performance enhancing?
    I am not condoning roids, but do they really make someone hit homers better? It shouldn't IMO...but I will be pissed if someone is caught since they all know it is illegal!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

From what I've read and heard, roids are a definite plus. They help the fast twitch muscles which is a major plus in hitting because of increased bat speed.
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    1st: What kind of coffee is Folders?

!
    Is it "Folgers"? I dunno...yet that is where he stuffed the cash into, an empty coffee can, while signing away...sorry if I wasn't clear about that, folks.
    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

i hate this topic

no offense to you at all brother craig, just get tired of the roids n baseball talk

it's an unfair advantage, plain n simple

anyone who thinks otherwise is looking the other way

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    i hate this topic

no offense to you at all brother craig, just get tired of the roids n baseball talk

it's an unfair advantage, plain n simple

anyone who thinks otherwise is looking the other way

No offense taken, my friend.

Honestly, this is the way it has gone in my particular camp...I find the opinions refreshing and strong in their candor, yet surprisingly varied.

Be well.

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

i think canseco is an idiot

and i also think 75% of his book is true...think about that...it's sad

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    i think canseco is an idiot

and i also think 75% of his book is true...think about that...it's sad

I'd rather think about the long ball that bounced off of his head at the warning track and caused a home run.

Now that is karma at work.

Why is that clip not being shown, during all of this?
    Certainly would be funny to see again, in any event!

"Doink!" .."Hey, where'd the ball go?"

I thought that stuff only happened on "The Simpsons"!

Leaving him out of it, as I said, sorry I helped get this off track...

Maybe I should have established a simple poll on this, yet what does one learn from numbers (especially when one considers the brain-trust that see's a poll and simply "must" vote, even when they know not of the thrust of it?)?

By the way, I am not working tomorrow!

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 02.09.05 at 10:14 PM. Reason: editorial
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    From what I've read and heard, roids are a definite plus. They help the fast twitch muscles which is a major plus in hitting because of increased bat speed.
    Yet, increased bat speed doesn't mean much unless there is velocity with it, and great eyes to see the ball in the first place. It's timing to say the least, and I can't really believe there is a drug or enhancer besides contacts, glasses and RK surgery to make someone see better. As far as timing: instincts and training help more than anything. Strength...weight training, great workouts and roids. Hitting home-runs is a huge factor in baseball, it is like a friggin touchdown, slam dunk, hockey goal and a hole in one. Desperation might make someone take drugs to think they are better and have confidence to do the job. Baseball is just as phsycological as physical.
    Jose is becoming a freak! He just wants uneeded attention and more money IMO He doesn't realize he is hurting baseball and possibly peoples lives.
    craig: show that clip!
    Just go for it!

Last Online

Wish I could post and view that clip...sadly, my computer is "hampster-driven"...

Even a picture would be great!

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Do I think MLB players have taken roids in the past - Yes.
    Do I think Barry Bonds took roids when he broke the record - Yes.
    Can we prove he was on roids when he broke the record - No. Unless we can prove this there should be no asterisk next to his name.
    Do I think Mark Maguire was on roids when he broke the record - Yes. Once again we cant prove this so no astericks.
    Is Jose a big dumb attention whore that is bitter because he is no longer the man - Yes.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    Is Jose a big dumb attention whore that is bitter because he is no longer the man - Yes.
    Show the ball hitting his head! DO IT!
    ESPN needs to show this all the while players are defending themselves in split screen!
    Canseco said he shot roids in Big Macs ass in the toilet stalls in Oakland, I think he was a peek-a-boo and wanted to shoot a load in Mac's ass.
    That is poopy!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    Show the ball hitting his head! DO IT!
    ESPN needs to show this all the while players are defending themselves in split screen!
    Canseco said he shot roids in Big Macs ass in the toilet stalls in Oakland, I think he was a peek-a-boo and wanted to shoot a load in Mac's ass.
    That is poopy!

I thought the same thing when I heard about him sticking Mac in the ass in a stall. Hmmmm what was Jose sticking big Mac with??

I have some good friends that played NCAA football and a few of them went on the play in the NFL. All of these guy have admitted to taking roids at some time or another. Not one of them did it in front of another player or ever asked the guy ti stick him in the ass. My Best friend in the world Scott was on the Juice while playing for a VERY GOOD NCAA program that shall go nameless due to the fact we have enough problems at said school with violations being broken. He showed me his kit and the juice a few times. I wanted to see him shoot himself, he would not do it in front me. The needles were very small, maybe a 1/2 long. Each of these guys agree's that they helped there carriers but they also do fear complications down the road.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Canseco is a whiny bitch just looking for attention now that he's no longer a star....fuck him. sure players may have used 'roids, which isn't cool, but why rat them out?? it's done, it happened, records were broken and thats it. i don't condone performance enhancing drugs in any way, but the past is the past. we cant prove who used what, even though it's sooo obvious. theyre testing for it now and you know what? baseball is still the best sport ever!!!!!!!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.