Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave and Sam.

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dave and Sam.

No, this isn't a Sam vs Dave thread. I've been listening to VH none for the last few months and drawn some conclusions.....let's see if you guys agree.

Dave - How good are this guys lyrics with VH? There is definitely some bizarre connection between Ed & Dave.......when they are together, you can hear Ed's aggression coming through his playing and Dave's lyrics are tremendous. This continued on EEAS....but waned after this (in my opinion).

As far as being THE frontman of his time, I don't think that on this side of the Atlantic he/VH got as much credit as they deserved for single handedly changing the genre of music for future generations. I think this is appreciated in the media Satateside....certainly not over here. I wish I could have seen him with VH - from the DVD's I have, I have never known a man generate such intense passion......genius!

I think that as far as VH's longevity is concerned.....it was maybe a good thing that Dave went off to pursue whatever. The only way to go after 1984 was down (I think Dave knew this - hence him leaving...he's a shrewd guy).

Exit Dave / Enter Sam - What a great vocalist. Ed, Mike and Al must've shit when he turned up at 5150 and they did Summer Nights. OK so some of his lyrics are a bit more obvious / run of the mill than Dave's. However, a lot of his lyrics are excellent (usually the 'heavier' ones). You could hear the effect on Ed's playing - the focus being songwriting supprted by more melodic playing rather than just woodshedding......this expanded the fan base and number One albums ensued! VH's longevity was guaranteed for another 10 years.

I do get wound up when people slam Sam......jeez, if it weren't for him we'd have no VH at all. Ed would've just hibernated in his studio. I don't see any of these guys who slam Sam having a go at Dave - surely your frustrations should be pointed at him.....he left and burst your bubble!

Bottom line ....our favourite band is still going, Ed's still with us....can't we all learn to love each other! ;-)

Anyway......things you write when your bored at work!!!!!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I agree. The synergy of the original lineup was incredible--the whole being bigger than the sum of the parts. This is what great bands are made of...

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Very well put, I would bet that most of the fans on the links truely like both versions of the band. In retrospect the whole Dave Sam scenario was probably the best thing for the band.

Dave was untouchable as a frontman when he was with VH; however, I think Ed was wanting to grow musically and Dave was not going to enable Ed/VH to do that. Sammy came in and the band went a new direction while still sounding like VH.

I agree that without Sammy VH would of probably bit the dust in the late 80's along with most of the other 80's rock bands. Sometimes it takes some time to realize how timeless really good music is. Although I've always been a huge VH fan, 10 years after Balance do I realize that BOTH the Dave and Sam eras will be around forever! What else could a rock band and their fans ask for?

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

I always liked both, they are both brilliant in their own right. The thing that bothers me most is when I listen to In A Simple Rhyme or something and relize what Dave was capable of sober/coherent. Now that he's got his act cleaned up and his voice still ok, alot of people whant him back in the band. But the thing is I woul have a hard time accepting Dave back in the band. Im a little bitter that he left in the first place. Sam is a great person from what I hear and I grew up in the Sam era. It's my favorite era. Although I do dislike some of his lyrics I dislike some of Dave's lyrics and singing as well. Sam is an outstanding singer and guitar player in his own right. Although they sold less numbers than Sam, they had more number one albums, which in return extended Vh's longevity. I just wish people would appreciate Gary as well. Gary is a great frontman. Look at the way he moves on a stage, with a Mike stand. And his voice (live) is powerful, and very good. He made being a rock band fun again (for Ed as well). His lyrics (for the most part) are great and somewhat poetic at times (From Afar, Once). If there is a fairwell tour in the near future, I see the only way to go is all three guys with about 30 shows a piece, and then a final show with all 6 of em rotating off songs and singing Happy Trails together at the end.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    I agree. The synergy of the original lineup was incredible--the whole being bigger than the sum of the parts. This is what great bands are made of...
    You know, I could not have put it better. Nice summary there. Just glad they're still alive and well, and extremely glad to have been able to have the chance to see them once again. It would be nice to see Dave back in to hear some of the older less played songs once again. But things change, as they say..........................
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Dave last year...I went with an open mind and just expected a good show as with age Dave's stage moves wouldn't be as they were....

Anyway - it was pretty bad. People were leaving before the end (as did I) and it just appeared to be a VH covers band.

From this angle - I am glad VH and Dave never got back together. The initial interest would be there maybe - but this would quickly dissipate into a joke. Some things are best left to memory (and great memories they are).

At this moment - Sam is the only option as a singer.

Also - I've been listening to III a lot recently. As I've never really listened to it before - it's like having a new album. Sure the production / engineering ain't what it should be - BUT some of Ed's playing as great and I listen to the sons without vox and imagine Sam / Dave singing - It hink THAT would have been a great album.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree about Van Halen 3. ED had lots of entergy in that album.

You want to know the truth? Had I heard this album in 1998 when
    it came out I probably wouldn't have liked it. As I grow alittle older
    I can adapt to different type of music.

I went from listening to my brothers rock in the mid-late 80's... To
    losing my mother and being raised with my sister who listened to
    country music and I just lost something for rock when my brother
    died. I came back to rock just around 2000 when I was getting
    into my late teens and have now expanded to blues/blues-Rock/
    Mo Town and soul along with SOME punk and lots of funk. It
    seems as if my tastes have been opening up the last few years
    and I've been able to appericate most things other than hip hop
    and rap besides a hear and there guilty pleasure type of song.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

By all rights 3 should have been Dave's comeback record, and I've posted
    before that if it had been we would be arguing it's greatness and not it's
    status as an abomination.

And sure Dave was all fucked up and cocaine-crazy, but we all kind of knew that and went with it and that's just rock and roll anyway, right?
    The power they had onstage not even playing was amazing and I could never
    understand what Ed got so pissed about. I thought it was great.

But I'm not Ed and I wasn't there, so...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    And sure Dave was all fucked up and cocaine-crazy, but we all kind of knew that and went with it and that's just rock and roll anyway, right?
    I didn't know that.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.07.15 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Great summarization!

As others stated, nice job!

Like most of you, I also agree that Dave and Sam were great for VH, but prefer the more down to earth attitude and personality of Sammy. IMO, he's a class act. Dave is just too cryptic and doesn't know when to stop. As for Gary, I have said all along that I think he deserves more credit. I think is full of talent and did well with VH. It was just hard to accept him and how much different that familiar Van Halen sound changed. I think there are so many good sounds and changes in III. Ed was glowing with energy on that album and wish they could get back to that energy.

In the last few years I have fully realized that I just don't have that 80's diehard VH streak in me. I am more of a nostalgic fan when it comes to VH. I guess I will always have a touch of that 80's streak in me, but like the music and bands, I have kind of grown out of Van Halen, but don't get me wrong- I still follow them and listen to them, but just don't feel the same way about them like I did when I was 16.

Honestly, I think if Ed can keep it together and Sam sticks around, Van Halen has a lot more good music in them. I firmly believe that there is no other alternative to VH other than Sam. I can see Dave doing one album or tour just maybe.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain

In the last few years I have fully realized that I just don't have that 80's diehard VH streak in me. I am more of a nostalgic fan when it comes to VH. I guess I will always have a touch of that 80's streak in me, but like the music and bands, I have kind of grown out of Van Halen, but don't get me wrong- I still follow them and listen to them, but just don't feel the same way about them like I did when I was 16.
    I feel the same way. I come to this site everyday, but I can't even remember the last time I put in a VH disc. I think I listened to Fair Warning about two months ago working out, and that was the last time I heard a whole VH album. Still love the band, but it is hard to keep listening to the same old shit over and over without anything new coming out and dwindling hopes anything substantial ever coming out again. It's kind of like how the guy who is married to the sexiest woman in the world feels about her: he's tired of banging the same old thing. That's how I feel about VH right now.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Weird how we all work cos VH's stuff always sounds fresh to me. Gives me that extra oooomph for the day. Probably because I've yet, (after 25 years) to see them live.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stilleddiesangel - Did you not see them in 93 or 96? Admittedly I didn't see them on Balance as I couldn't accept that they were supporting Bon Jovi!!

I saw them on the RHRN Tour at NEC, Sheffield & Wembley.....unf%$^ing real!

I say the UK team charter a flight to the States next time around!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    Weird how we all work cos VH's stuff always sounds fresh to me. Gives me that extra oooomph for the day. Probably because I've yet, (after 25 years) to see them live.
    My sentiments exactly. Yeah I don't listen to all VH, 24/7, but it sure feels good to have a good session of VH only and play all of their albums one after the other to get my dose. Sometimes only VH will do musically, for me. It's like Dave said, "When I need something to soothe my soul, I listen to too much rocknroll." From Fools, hope I got the words right! Wow, you've never seen them???????? You really need to get to the states and take a gander if and when they ever decide to take it on the road again.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light UP The Sky
    Last Online

02.26.06 @ 06:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well wind yourself up

I do get wound up when people slam Sam......jeez, if it weren't for him we'd have no VH at all. YOU HAVE NO VAN HALEN NOW!!!!!!! AND YOU NEVER WOULD HAVE!!!!!!!!!! Ed would've just hibernated in his studio.AND DRINK !!!!! I don't see any of these guys who slam Sam having a go at Dave ????A"GO"AT HIM? A "GO"??? DAMN FOREIGNER !!!!!! surely your frustrations should be pointed at him.....he left and burst your bubble! SAMMY IS THE BUBBLE!!!!!!