Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.30.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Ultimate Concert Experience - Backstage.

Ever been backstage at a concert? Gotten passes? Caught a drum stick from a roadie after the show? Post your stories here, I'd love to read em.

The only 'pass' I have is from the Van Halen tour. Its a 4 star one, so basically all it did for me was seats on the floor, but its still pretty cool to look at. The only bands I've met were:

38 Special - The guy at the merch stand said that the CDs they were selling doubled as passes, so I got to meet them, which was pretty cool.

The Guess Who - Well, not really the 'REAL' guess who, the only original member was the drummer, but they had an autograph booth set up for the fans. Got a picture, cd, and a pack of strings signed. The strings were kind of a bonus, the guitarist, Bobbly Bilan, had a few packs, so I said "Hey man, you were awesome on the strings tonight" to which he replied "thanks, want a pack?" I thought that was pretty cool of him. There was only one in there, so i put it on my guitar, now I tell everyone I play with the fury of the backup-backup guitarist for the guess who.

Well, those are my two awe-inspiring stories, what are yours? And also, how do you get passes in the first place? Around here, radio isnt really that big I guess. I've tried calling in for passes, but they say that they dont do that, and one photographer I talked to said that he hasnt gotten any "picture passes" Ah well, EBay it is!

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Wrote a letter to Waylon Jennings... spent 45 mins to an hour backstage with him and his wife, Jessi Colter (she's not Lisa... ). Also got to go to Willie Nelson's backstage party during the same show. Pretty cool. My family has had a lot of backstage passes because my uncle is a bartender and bands used to stay where he worked. Off the top of my head, Phil Collins, The Highwaymen, and Tina Turner were passes they had, among others.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Perrott

38 Special - The guy at the merch stand said that the CDs they were selling doubled as passes, so I got to meet them, which was pretty cool.
    , buy somethin' and sure yah can meet me too! funny
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.30.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cabot
    , buy somethin' and sure yah can meet me too! funny

haha yeah really, when put that way! I had to bite though, it just seemed too cool to pass up.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perrott
    haha yeah really, when put that way! I had to bite though, it just seemed too cool to pass up.
    ....I hope you didn't bite too hard to get backstage!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never been backstage with a special pass that was given to me or anything. However I did buy an "onstage" ticket for Sammy in 2003. It was the package deal where we were taken backstage in a small crowd (way smaller than VH 5-star package) and took pictures, got a shirt, laminate, camera, Cabo Wabo tequila cup and Waboritas. I didn't get to enteract with Sammy anymore than a hand shake because I wasn't gonna be all pushy. But the hand shake was cool and so was getting to take a picture with the band.
    All that and THEN we got to be on stage for the show. So then the band kept enteracting with us throughout the show. That was probably my favorite concept experience overall. Van Halen at Staples #2 is definitely second on my list, though, however that was with a 5-star package.

Oh wait, I guess this doesn't fall exactly under what the topic is asking but I did get a meet and greet pass to meet Megadeth in October. I won it through the fan club. It wasn't backstage but rather in a lounge at the venue after the show. That was really cool too because I got to chat with Dave Mustaine and get his autograph.
    Last edited by MASHAGAR; 02.08.05 at 09:32 PM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I bet JennLove could tell us some stories if she feels inclined...

Last Online

05.06.08 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    I bet JennLove could tell us some stories if she feels inclined...
    I'll have to think about this one - most of my stories happened in bars or hotels, not backstage. I do enjoy hearing other's stories though!

Last Online

02.14.09 @ 06:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Backstage...

Well...years ago, it all started when I was a stagehand at a small hall....I met Debby Reynolds....Jim Neighbors...Donald O'Conner, Gallagher....
    Then me and the old man roadied for some friends in a local band at some bars and clubs....
    Oh...sorry....you meant at ROCK CONCERTS right???? LOL!!!!

Ok...

Been backstage at a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers show (won dinner, a limo to the show and backstage passes on a radio contest)...didn't meet Petty, but did meet his keyboard player.

Been in Sammy's onstage deal FOUR times...twice I got to meet him and the Wabos. One onstage time was a lucky deal in Sacramento....no M&G tho. And no M&G when I was onstage in Tahoe last year.

Worked spotlight for The Waboritas (minus Sam) for the 'Rock To Breathe' show in Fairfield, CA. last year. Hung out with them...and Aaron Hagar before and after the show. VERY cool people to be sure!

Did the VH Four Star thing in San Jose, CA... AND the Five Star thing in Las Vegas at The Orleans. The Five Star deal was pretty cool....even tho Ed was pretty rude to people during soundcheck. Mikey was really friendly tho!

JA
    "I don't care if I never get another fan. I'm KEEPIN' all of these!" -S.H.

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

My uncle was a bartender at a local watering hole where country acts would go when they came around here. He got pretty close to the people who ran the venue where they played, so he hung out backstage a lot, and one time I got to go backstage and actually go on the tour bus of Confederate Railroad. This was over ten years ago, when they were big, so it was pretty cool.

My buddy's dad drove the equipment truck for a bunch of performers, one of whom was Carlos Santana. Not only did we get to go see him eight rows back, but then we got to go backstage afterward. We didn't get to meet Santana himself, but we did meet his lead singer.
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

KISS, Oakland, 1984.

I'd seen the band so many times that I didn't care where I sat or stood, same with my friends, so instead of standing in line we hung out at the backstage enterance. You meet the hardcore fans back there, most of them had followed the band from their dates in SoCal. They know the crew and we got to talk to the drum-tech and the bass-tech, that was cool. The guys from Queensryche kept wandering back and forth from their bus, but they weren't that big so few people cared.
    Finally KISS showed up in two limos, Gene and Paul, Paul's date(who was whats-her-name, Clint Black's future wife-Lisa something) in one and Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick in the other. I shook Eric's hand and go a thumb's up from Paul. They are all show from the time they leave their hotel until the time they get back. ilearned somethig that day.

My friend worked for Avalon Productions in LA, he almost got us backstage at the Pretenders in 1982, but then the band said nobody could go backstage and no comp-passes. He was even more pissed off when they changed their minds night-of-show and let some chick named Valerie Bertinelli backstage with her husband, who was this rock star dude. He then jammed with the Pretenders. I was pissed too.

I'd be happy to relate a friend's Monterey Pop story if anyone cares.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

I've opened for several people, thus allwing me backstage. The most memorable was Waylon Jennings a few months before he passed. Stood on the stage his entire set. Drank all the bands beer while they were playing. LOL.
    Felt like a dick when I asked him to sign something and he told me he would, but he could no longer hold a pen. Sign of things to come.
    Opened for the UK Subs back in 92. I was 17 and they had this big skinhead looking guy named Nig playing guitar. Saw him on the cell phone having the sweetest conversation with his wife about their baby. A totally nice guy. Who'd of thunk.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

I have had three noteworthy backstage experiences. The first two were in the late 80/early 90's the most recent this past summer.

In 1989, (I think, my memory gets clouded), I worked at the university newspaper, which allowed me access to certain publicists. Queesnryche were opening for Metallica, supporting Operation Mindcrime. We intereviewed Michael Wilton and met all the guys backstage. In addition to performing my journalistic duties, I took along a buddy, "my photographer", and explained that we were big fans as well. Geoff Tate had just woke up and asked us not to take any pictures. Talked for about an hour w/Wilton and Chris Degarmo. They were very cool. Later that day, we went to an instore autograph session and Wilton and Degarmo called us by name and chatted like we were old friends. We had front row for the show and Degarmo threw me a couple of picks. A great experience with a great band.

Later that year, I had a similar experience with Tesla. They were touring with Great White on a double header tour. We interviewed, over the phone, Brian Wheat. Again, explaining that we were big fans, could we meet him and the guys. He said sure and we would let his road manager, Butch know to add us. So, the day of the show, we go to will call, and no passes. We were crushed. So we wandered back where the trucks and buses were located. Ask for Butch, find him, explain the situation and he hooks us up. Tesla was very down to earth, especially Jeff Keith, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon. They actually hooked us up with passes again later in the tour @ Kent State.

If anyone is interested, I will scan some pictures from the meetings with Queesnryche and Tesla and post them.

Ihave been fortunate enough to twice get passes to a meet and greet with Lynyrd Skynyrd, through a contact at a local radio station. This past summer, they opened for Sammy in Cleveland. This occurred before the show. Talk about down to earth guys. Thanks to an influential older brother, I have been a fan of their music, pre and post crash, for as long as I have been able to put on headphones. When I explained this to Gary Rossington and thanked him, he said "no, thank you brother, for listening to and keeping the music alive". Here are a few pictures:
    Me w/Johnny Van Zant and Ricky Medlocke (formerly of Blackfoot):

Me w/Hughie Thomasson (formerly of the Outlaws), rumor has it he has left Skynyrd. If that is true, that will suck, he brought a lot to the band:

This was in Columbus in 2001, the meet and greet line went so fast, I only had a chance to get a picture w/Gary Rossington:

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedtruckermf
    I've opened for several people, thus allwing me backstage. The most memorable was Waylon Jennings a few months before he passed. Stood on the stage his entire set. Drank all the bands beer while they were playing. LOL.
    Felt like a dick when I asked him to sign something and he told me he would, but he could no longer hold a pen. Sign of things to come.
    Awesome. But, yeah, the carpal tunnel was pretty bad for him. It meant no more classic Waylon lead guitar. It was actually a diabeties thing and some dodgy doctor operated when he shouldn't have. Any other stories from the show?

BTW, didn't the Waymore Blues Band just rock?! If Waylon couldn't play lead guitar, there are few finer replacements than Mr Reggie Young.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

BB King, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Merle Haggard, Montgomery/Gentry, John Michael Montgomery, Lee Roy Parnell, Blackhawk, Tracy Lawrence, Lonestar, Chris Ledoux, David Allen Coe, David Frizzell, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Lonnie Mack, Delbert McClinton, The KY Headhunters (they used to shop in a music store I managed before they hit it "big"), and many others I can't remember; well, Freddie Hart, Jim Ed Brown and Helen Cornelius, Jack Greene, Gene Watson. Some of these were just "hello, blah blah blah blah, later" -type meets and others were weekend festivals; then some I knew before fame and some I've actually played onstage with, some were "hey, let me play your guitar", and others are mild exaggerations, like David Allen Coe. I hear he shoots people for no good reason so I stayed far away from him.

I missed getting to play opening spot for Leon Russell last week. Septoplasty. My otolaryngologist is the local "Rock Doc" and he has met A LOT of stars, from Paul McCartney to Britney Spears (signed pics in office).

My ego thanks you for listening...back to my hole...