Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 585 Times in 358 Posts

Donor

Default Army uniforms get first redesign in two decades

Army uniforms get first redesign in two decades

FORT STEWART, Ga. (AP) — Army soldiers are being issued new fatigues with easy-to-use Velcro openings and a redesigned camouflage pattern that can help conceal them as they move rapidly from desert to forest to city in places like Baghdad.
    ‘‘It might give you the extra second you need, save your life maybe,’’ Sgt. Marcio Soares said Tuesday after trying on the new all-in-one camouflage uniform that is the first major redesign in Army fatigues since 1983.
    Soares’ unit, the Georgia National Guard’s 48th Infantry Brigade, is the first to be issued the new fatigues as part of a $3.4 billion Army-wide makeover being phased in over the next three years.
    The uniform will replace the standard forest camouflage — green, brown and black — and the desert camouflage — tan, brown and grey — now used by U.S. troops in Iraq.
    Twenty-two changes were made to the uniforms, most notably the new camouflage pattern.
    Instead of bold jigsaw swatches of colors, the new camouflage pattern uses muted shades of desert brown, urban gray and foliage green broken into one-centimeter segments. Black was eliminated completely because it catches the eye too easily.
    The resulting camouflage — similar to a pattern the Marines adopted two years ago — conceals soldiers in forest, desert or urban battlegrounds, said Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the uniform’s lead designer.
    ‘‘In Baghdad, you can go from the desert to vegetation to the city in 10 minutes,’’ Myhre said. ‘‘What we realized very quickly is there’s no camouflage that’s the 100 percent solution for any environment.’’
    Other changes were prompted by complaints from soldiers in the field. Jacket and pocket buttons, which can snag on nets and other gear, have been replaced with zippers and Velcro.
    Pockets at the jacket’s waistline were moved to the shoulders, where soldiers can reach them while wearing body armor. And the uniforms have a looser fit, with more room to wear layers underneath.
    Rank, unit and name patches attach with Velcro rather than being sewn on. Infrared-reflecting squares on the shoulders make friendly troops easier to identify while using night-vision goggles.
    ‘‘The only problem I have with the uniform is, once the soldiers put it on, they don’t want to take it off,’’ said Brig. Gen. Stewart Rodeheaver, commander of the 48th Infantry Brigade, which has 4,000 reservists training at Fort Stewart to go off to Iraq in May.
    The Army started developing the uniform two years ago and field-tested prototypes in Iraq. The final version was rolled out June 24 — the Army’s 229th birthday.
    Col. John Norwood, the Army’s project manager for soldier equipment, said the new uniforms will be issued in coming months to units being sent to Iraq. New soldiers entering basic training will be issued them by October, and all Army troops will be required to wear them by April 2008.
    The new uniforms cost a little more — $85 each, compared with $60 for the old ones. But Norwood said the Army will save money by having to produce only one combat uniform rather than three — standard greens, desert camouflage and cold-weather fatigues.
    And they should make soldiers’ lives easier, too. The fabric is wrinkle-free and machine-washable, and the new suede boots do not require polishing like the old black boots.
    ‘‘If you have a choice whether you teach them to polish boots or teach them how to survive in battle, we’d rather teach them to survive in battle,’’ Rodeheaver said.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

They're flippin' sweet! I saw a couple of soldiers wearing them today. I was envious. Then I realized I was in the Air Force and wasn't envious anymore.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc
    They're flippin' sweet! I saw a couple of soldiers wearing them today. I was envious. Then I realized I was in the Air Force and wasn't envious anymore.
    I am with you, Marc. Just be glad when they get our new threads finalized.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by Axxman300; 02.08.05 at 06:39 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hated it.

Last edited by Axxman300; 02.08.05 at 06:52 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Uhhh....is it supposed to STAND OUT from the backround like that?

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Hey, that'll blend in nicely with those North Carolina pine forests.

Then again, there aren't many insurgents running around Pinehurst.

This should go over much better than the black beret change did, though.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:03 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Thank god I got out when I did. The actual camo design is cool, but the fookin' name tag and such looks gay. Who says it won't come off when you're low-crawling through the bush. That's the only thing I don't like about the new uniform. The Army should have copied the Corp's uniform thread for thread...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a sad day for the Army when they have to resort to velcro to attach things to their uniform. You can't trust guys to have stuff sewn in the right place so it's easier to fix if you can rip it off and stick it back on...
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Velcro patches are a pain in the ass. The damn things get lost or turned upside down at the worst possible times.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You can't expect everyone to know how to lace and tie boots either. They should give them velcro boots as well. All I keep thinking of when I look at the picture of the dude modeling the new uniform is 'Hey, it's Dapper Dan!'
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Those new uniforms don’t seem to achieve what they were designed to achieve. Camouflage….you know, blend in with the environment? Geez, what is the Army thinking?

Oh, and what’s with the Velcro?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Those new uniforms don’t seem to achieve what they were designed to achieve. Camouflage….you know, blend in with the environment? Geez, what is the Army thinking?
    Exactly. And this one uniform is supposed to take the place of desert and snow fatigues, too? It'd stick out like a sore thumb in just about any environment.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The reaction of the Army guys I know is mixed at best. Over at the 7th Infantry board the guys hate it. Obviousy the velcro tags will come off in the field, they'll have to. Sneaking through the brush or creeping through battle-damaged buildings will guarrantee that one or more tag will be pulled off. In the dark you can hear that kind of noise up to a half-mile away.

The uniform is designed to wear with the new body armor, hence the high neck, but that zipper is going to be uncomfortable in the desert heat and is going to seal in body heat.

The Army should have just bit the bullet and copied the USMC's new camos, they are smart and sharp AND blend into the backround. As it is, the Army, Air Force and Marines are all going to have their own seperate uniforms. This is dumb for so many reasons. First off, it's MORE expensive over all, right now all three services wear the same uniform (BDU, not dress uniforms). Three different companies produce the uniforms, if one is behind in production the other two pick up the slack.
    The worst thing is that now the bad guys can tell who they're dealing with and can adjust their attack strategy. In the past, Army guys and Air Force guys look the same. Now you will be able to tell them apart, here's why that's bad. The bad guys will attack the 82nd Airborne differntly than it will some Air Force ground crew guys.

Then again, I think the old OG Jungle fatigues were the schizatt.

My Blog:

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm pretty sure even the most unobservant 'bad guys' can tell the difference between an Air Force ground crew and a platoon of the 82nd Airborne. Just a hunch on that, combined with the thought that anyone that couldn't tell the difference sure as hell isn't going to have the training or leadership to change tactics on the fly.

There isn't a gigantic cost savings involved in the services all wearing the same uniform. The numbers are large enough that there isn't much to be saved in standardization. If the Marines can afford it, being the smallest branch, then it's not terribly cost-prohibitive. Oh, and good luck getting the Army to buy off on clothing their soldiers in uniforms where the pattern is made up of small Marine emblems.

I'm sure the velcro will go by the wayside. Soldiers will have the tape sewn on.

Color-wise, consider where and under what conditions camouflage is useful. Smoke, haze, fog, urban areas, rocky terrain... it looks about right for that. The Army isn't about to put their people out there in shoot-me signs, and the Fulda Gap isn't where we're fighting now or in the foreseeable future.