Favorite VH Album

VH1/5150/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Feelin'/ Humans Being
    Last Online

03.23.06 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 5150 Kramer question

gotta a ? about the 5150 Kramer. In all the recent pics of it before the 2004 tour, it shows the headstock having 7 tuning pegs due to the headstock splitting at the 6th peg. In all the live pics and LWAN and Japan 89, it looks like the same neck but there is no 7th tuning peg on the bottom of the headstock. Any idears?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the headstock either broke off or was significantly cracked, so the high E tuning peg was moved to the right side of the headstock for more stability. I've seen quite a few cracked headstocks in my life and the "fault line" almost always runs through a tuning peg hole. His must have ocurred through the high E hole.

Either he did the mod himself or Ernie Ball Music Man did it for him, because this was around the time of his deal with EBMM in the early 1990s. I kinda think they did it for him because the headstock back then had a EBMM decal and that sounds like something they'd do after a repair...

Hope this answers...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.12 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smithtone...

You're right, from what I remember. The crack in the headstock happened around the time Ernie Ball was using the guitar to design the neck on the Music Man guitars. I think I heard Rol talk about this before, but I haven't seen him around here in a while. I think when they modeled the Music Man's neck to be exactly like the Kramer (essentially to feel like it was broken in by Eddie's own hands), someone dropped the guitar and it landed on the headstock, breaking it. As a temporary fix (and I don't understand why they had to do this), they drilled another hole in the headstock on the bottom and added another tuning peg. Ernie Ball fixed the neck at a later date. It's a shame that they broke it in the first place (you would think that they would cradle that thing like a baby with its history and Ed being their biggest endorsement at the time), but it's even worse that they didn't just put things on hold for a few days and fix it right off the bat instead of drilling another hole in it as a temporary fix. But knowing Ed, he probably told them to just slap another tuning peg in there so he could still record with it. I get the impression that he doesn't see his guitars as a piece of history (like we do). He's sort of humble that way.
    "People say that life is a cesspool of darkness and dispair. Well we of Van Halen are sailing through it in a yacht!"--David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

VH1/5150/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Feelin'/ Humans Being
    Last Online

03.23.06 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In one of the issues of Inside, its got a collection of his guitars and it said the headstock cracked when Ed was drilling the hole for the 6th tuning peg and that Ernie Ball fixed the split in 1990 or 91. But it if watch the videos and pics, U cant find the 7th peg. But what it looks like now that i've reviewed it, is that he used the neck from the 1984 Kramer because the 5150's headstock doesnt have a black stripe and the 1984 does.