Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Just got myself a 5150 head!!!!!

I went to Guitar Center today and they had a used 5150 head in there for $650, which I managed to talk down to $575. The thing looked somewhat worn on the outside and smelled a little like smoke but everything seemed to work alright and it had Groove Tubes in it, and if anything ever went wrong I figured I could just take it to a tech for a tune up or repair, right? Anyways, the cool thing is that it's one of those early "block letter" heads that are supposedly slightly better than the newer ones and more sought out? My questions for you guys is that I'm going to have to get a new cab for the thing, any suggestions on which one, I hear 5150 heads sound really good with vintage Marshall cabs? When it comes time to replace the tubes which ones do ya'll suggest? And I'm wanting to play this thing at reasonable volumes, so wouldn't a power brake work here and which one do ya'll think would be best? Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcgvh
    I went to Guitar Center today and they had a used 5150 head in there for $650, which I managed to talk down to $575. The thing looked somewhat worn on the outside and smelled a little like smoke but everything seemed to work alright and it had Groove Tubes in it, and if anything ever went wrong I figured I could just take it to a tech for a tune up or repair, right? Anyways, the cool thing is that it's one of those early "block letter" heads that are supposedly slightly better than the newer ones and more sought out? My questions for you guys is that I'm going to have to get a new cab for the thing, any suggestions on which one, I hear 5150 heads sound really good with vintage Marshall cabs? When it comes time to replace the tubes which ones do ya'll suggest? And I'm wanting to play this thing at reasonable volumes, so wouldn't a power brake work here and which one do ya'll think would be best? Thanks!
    Don't be fooled, the 5150 block letter head is exactly the same as a 5150, the only difference is it doesn't have EVH signiture on it, it sounds exactly the same as the 5150, l've never heard that the black letter 5150 are more sort after, if the guys at guitar center told you that, it's called a sales pitch, alot of people fall for it, but if you are happy with it, more power to ya.

I've heard good things about Celestion Vintage 30's speakers with a 5150.

Put some jj's in the preamp, l did that to my 5150ii, and they sound great.

Riddick.
    Last edited by riddick; 02.08.05 at 01:46 AM.

Last Online

07.05.05 @ 02:35 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I have heard the block letter thing in number of places, however, as I have had a 5150 block letter head, and then went to a 5150 combo I cannot really comment on how the heads differ, I can say the combo sounded better.

However, as regards a cab I would try and get a 5150 cab as they are pretty darn good.....the speakers are modelled on vintage 30 watt celestions (the g12-h). I would also try and get a straight front cab as opposed to slanted cab.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious. I had also read the the earlier EVH 5150's were more coveted than the later "signature" amps. I heard that there are also mods that can return the singature to the EVH. So there must have been a circuit change. I do not own one, I did try out a couple and they seemed quite noisy to me. Alot of preamp hiss. I would like to hear some tone reports on the 5150 head from users.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I use to use A Marshall 1960 4x12 w/75 watt Celestions until I borrowed a friends 5150 cab and kept switching back and forth to see what sounded better (more brown) and the Peavey cab won. I ended up getting rid of my Marshall and now have the 5150 cab as it was designed and engineered to go with that head.

I prefer a Slant rather than a Straight as the two top speakers are slightly angled up so when I'm on stage, I can hear myself a little better as the sound is coming towards me and towards the audience @ the same time…but this is just my preference.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JWR
    I'm curious. I had also read the the earlier EVH 5150's were more coveted than the later "signature" amps. I heard that there are also mods that can return the singature to the EVH. So there must have been a circuit change. I do not own one, I did try out a couple and they seemed quite noisy to me. Alot of preamp hiss. I would like to hear some tone reports on the 5150 head from users.
    No, there's a mod to turn the lead channel of the 5150II back to the original 5150 lead channel. The ONLY difference between the EVH and signature version of the 5150 heads are cosmetic. The early EVH 5150 heads shipped with different tubes, so that may explain the sound differences people think they hear. I had a chance to A/B a EVH/signature head and sorry, but there was no holy light shining down on the EVH head. It is slightly more sought after cause there are less EVH's on the market than signature models because the cosmetic change occured a year or so after they came out. If your willing to pay more for some initials, go for it!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, if there is or isn't a difference at all between the EVH and signature model it doesn't really matter to me, because I don't think $575 for a used 5150 head that works fine is a bad deal. I know you can get them for as low as $350-400 used on Ebay, but I just don't trust the people on Ebay enough to buy anything over $100, and around here that's about as good of a deal as I'm going to find, so what the heck. But I would like to know what you guys think of power brakes, as I may have to get one, and the only one I've found is the Marshall and that thing costs almost $800!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcgvh
    Well, if there is or isn't a difference at all between the EVH and signature model it doesn't really matter to me, because I don't think $575 for a used 5150 head that works fine is a bad deal. I know you can get them for as low as $350-400 used on Ebay, but I just don't trust the people on Ebay enough to buy anything over $100, and around here that's about as good of a deal as I'm going to find, so what the heck. But I would like to know what you guys think of power brakes, as I may have to get one, and the only one I've found is the Marshall and that thing costs almost $800!
    All that matter is that you like the sound. It doesn't matter what we say, or who's signiture is on the amp. I hope you enjoy it.

I use a Marshall Powerbrake, l love it, brings the balls out of the amps.

Scott.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.29.05 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

gee

575 for 5150 head seams like a bargain thats not even 300 uk sterling christ thats less then what the average working joe here in the uk pass in tax per month.been using a 5150 head and 4x12since92 untill it broke on a tour we did with love hate last year and that was down to roadie mishandling and guess what went and bought a 5150ii head to get me thru tour use both into 2 cabs live nowcant be bothered to sniff out new gear this stuff works period and has for me for 13 years check out www.wolfgangguitars.com other wolfgang page or visit our site at www.theplastix.com for the price these amps are well designed well made and do exactly what it says on the tin sorry uk joke here, plug in balls channel and even more balls channelthe rest is up to you and youre scant disregard for public safety excellent

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

i have a 5150 II head and i love it. you can get the tone of eddies old marshall plexi through it, and get the F.U.C.K./Balance era tones out of it as well. Its great for the stuff I play. I only have one question....how do you know when you have to replace the tubes?