Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Default Meth Addiction Leading to Rotting Teeth

I hope they're not just first figuring this out. Those of us that have been meth havens like Wolf Creek, OR., and Cherryvale, KS have known this for years. Never tried it, never will, I don't need the shit, I'm naturally wired!

Meth Addiction Leading to Rotting Teeth

By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer

MARYVILLE, Mo. - The growing use of highly addictive methamphetamine throughout the country is creating a prominent scar on an increasing number of users — rotting, brittle teeth that seem to crumble from their mouths.

Methamphetamine can be made with a horrid mix of substances, including over-the-counter cold medicine, fertilizer, battery acid and hydrogen peroxide. Together, the chemicals reduce a user's saliva, which neutralizes acids and physically clears food from the teeth, said Dr. Eric Curtis, an Arizona-based spokesman for the Academy of General Dentistry.

"When the saliva isn't flowing, the bacteria build up a lot faster," said Dr. Darrell Morton, an Atlanta dentist.

Jeffery Lotshaw flossed regularly. He brushed faithfully, sometimes four or five times in a day.

All that care makes his condition seem incomprehensible — at the age of just 33, Lotshaw's grin is toothless. His teeth all broke apart, tarnished with yellow and black.

"Before I started doing meth, I didn't have a cavity in my head," said Lotshaw, imprisoned on drug charges at Missouri's Maryville Treatment Center.

Meth users also may neglect their teeth, or moisten their dry mouths with high-sugar drinks, and anxiety caused by the drug prompts them to grind their teeth, which speeds decay.

The problem is particularly noticeable among inmates, whose oral problems have some prison systems struggling to provide dental care.

"They're rotting teeth, missing teeth, rotting way into the gums," said Kathy Bachmeier, the head of medical services for North Dakota's prisons. "It's ugly."

There are no statistics on "meth mouth" — as the condition has come to be known — because addicts are sometimes reluctant to admit their drug use and because it is difficult to distinguish between damage done by bad dental hygiene and that caused by narcotics. But there are signs it is on the rise around the country.

The head of the company in charge of dental care for Missouri inmates says he is seeing teeth rotted by meth use nearly every day. In North Dakota, the number of days a dentist was serving inmates jumped from 50 in 2000 to 78 in 2004. And the tab for inmates' dental care in Minnesota rose from $1.2 million five years ago to about $2 million last year.

"There are more and more urgent care needs, which pushes back routine care like cleanings," said Nanette Schroeder, director of health services for Minnesota's Corrections Department. "They're seeing just worse mouths, generally. This is really an emerging problem."

Missouri pays a company $7.50 per day per prisoner for health care, regardless of what's needed, so no major cost increase has been incurred.

"My dentists always opt for the best treatment we could offer our patients, as we would in private practice," said Dr. Ernest Jackson, whose Jefferson City-based company is in charge of dental care for Missouri prisons.

But that philosophy isn't necessarily at play everywhere.

Schroeder said there's a constant juggling act between constitutional obligations to inmates, costs and the risk of lawsuits.

"Do we always think that it's fair to provide some services to our offender population that people on the outside might not get? Of course not," Schroeder said. "On the other hand, we have to balance that with the risk."

Bryan Rogers, another inmate at the Maryville facility, which is exclusively for convicts with drug problems, said he noticed other users' teeth were rotting but made sure he brushed regularly.

"I was always thinking that's not going to happen to me because I keep brushing," he said.

Rogers, 30, has had three teeth pulled since arriving at the prison in August, and he's awaiting a dental plate. Lotshaw's last 11 teeth have been removed since arriving, also in August, and he's waiting for dentures.

Lotshaw has been drug-free for more than five months, but there's no denying what is to blame for his empty mouth.

"It reminds me a lot of my addiction," he said.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think Meth will go down as the most evil drug ever.

Some of the most horrific tragidies can be traced to Meth, yet nobody want's to talk about it. The shit pollutes the environmnet in ways that are almost equal to nuclear waste. Monterey County is the leading Meth producer in the west. We have so many remote locations and a small Sheriff's department to patrol it. It was out ghosthunting (scouting buildings) at Fort Ord, the abandoned Army base where I live, and I almost stumbled into a recent Meth lab location. What had attracted my attention was a bird flopping around on the floor near the doorway. I almost entered the room when I saw a pair of rubber gloves and an open plastic bag full of empty chemical jugs. It was then that I noticed that the bird was shaking and could no long fly and would soon die, it has been poisoned by the fumes within the room (it was a bathroom, they had used either a large sink or urinal to mix their Meth. That sink flows untreated into the Monterey bay.) Had the bird not been there, I would have walked into the toxic chamber and suffered perminant resperatory, nerve and brain damage...if I was lucky. They use abandoned buildings to cook their shit. I wonder what Meth-heads would think ,if they were capable of reason, about the fact that their fix was cooked in a urinal?

I don't feel too sorry for these folks either (suprise!), Meth is one of those drugs that everyone knows is badnews before they take it.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That explains a lot for me. I recently ran into a high school buddy I hadn't seen in 20 years. His teeth were all just about gone. I am so glad that I left California just before all that meth stuff was all the rage. Not that I would have done it, but really it sort of wiped out the motivation of an entire generation. There aren't many people left from the class of 83 that I even recognize, but those who did meth are easy to spot. What a sickening drug.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

There is a house a few doors down from me that was busted for making that shit (thanks to me). The house had just been sold and the new owner was a COMPLETE COCK SUCKER!! He rented the house out to a young couple with a kid, they seemed fairly normal at first. I contacted the owner of the property about a few different problems and all he would tell me is that he is a big time attorney and did not have the time for this, I was on my own. Few weaks go by and I was taking my dog for a walk around 10:00PM, as we walked outside I could smell this nasty nasty chemical smell. The next week it was back, the smell literally permiated my entire yard.
    I finally called the Sheriff Dept, I had a idea they were up to no good. I was not sure it they were making meth or just dumping chemicals or burning some nasty shit. My main concern is that I live on a lake and I would hate for these chemicals to seep into the lake or worse yet peoples wells. The Sheriff Dept raided the house a few days later and busted them for manufacturing meth. The ASSHOLE owner had to pay $60,000 doallrs to clean the place up, including the soil around the house. I would see the guy out around the yard with the hazmat clean up guys, I looked at him and laughed outloud each and every time I saw him. He sold the house shortly after the clean up was done. Nice people live there now.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

They bust meth labs around here weekly it seems like. The news should have a separate "Meth Lab Report" because that's all their crime reports are nowadays...
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's news that meth is bad for teeth?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    It's news that meth is bad for teeth?
    Not to those in-the-know but it might scare off some people who haven't tried it.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Meth is death. I hate that shit.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Not only will it rot a persons teeth, it just happens to rot the brain too!!!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Last September was not a good one for me. I lost a very good and personal friend of mine to meth. I don't have many friends like that and it hurt. He wasn't the meth-head, his son was. He was a counseler/assoc. pastor at the church we attended at the time. His name was Scott Mitchell. He loved his son, but his son was under the very destructive influence of meth. We prayed about the kid many times in fact. Well, on a Wednesday I was supposed to go out to breakfast with him on the following Saturday. He didn't make it to Thursday because his son got in to an escalated arguement with him at his house that resulted in him firing off a couple rounds in meth induced anger through the front door of Scotts house that just happened to hit him directly in the chest and heart. His wife Connie had no chance to bring him back. He died within minutes. His son Jonathan is in jail now for killing his own father and I'm without a good friend until I see him again on the other side. Frankly, I could have used him here. He was a good man and I REALLY don't like that fucking drug.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    Last September was not a good one for me. I lost a very good and personal friend of mine to meth. I don't have many friends like that and it hurt. He wasn't the meth-head, his son was. He was a counseler/assoc. pastor at the church we attended at the time. His name was Scott Mitchell. He loved his son, but his son was under the very destructive influence of meth. We prayed about the kid many times in fact. Well, on a Wednesday I was supposed to go out to breakfast with him on the following Saturday. He didn't make it to Thursday because his son got in to an escalated arguement with him at his house that resulted in him firing off a couple rounds in meth induced anger through the front door of Scotts house that just happened to hit him directly in the chest and heart. His wife Connie had no chance to bring him back. He died within minutes. His son Jonathan is in jail now for killing his own father and I'm without a good friend until I see him again on the other side. Frankly, I could have used him here. He was a good man and I REALLY don't like that fucking drug.
    Sorry to hear about that Seenbad. My sister was living with a guy who was into taking that shit, and she started doing it with him the dumbass! I was so fucking pissed when I found out she was doing that shit! Fortunately she got away from him and the shit before it was too late. She said there's no worse feeling in the world than being up for 3 days straight and fucking hallucinating. I had heard about meth, but didn't know much about it until I moved to Wolf Creek, OR. That place was unfucking real! All these old hippies running around without any teeth, young people running around with teeth all brown and black and I asked somebody, "What's the deal? All these people around here seem to have fucked up teeth." He told me that they were all heavy into meth and it rots your teeth. The explanation I was given at the time was that it depletes calcium from your system, but according to the article it seems to be more from reducing saliva in your mouth. Anyway, my worst experience other that finding out my sister was taking the shit was when a 18 year old jacked up on meth, rapped me in the back of the head with a tire iron about a week before Christmas '93. I'm pretty lucky I'm still around. I ended up with a few staples in my head, and a slight concussion, which had me a little loopy for about a week. I still would like to pay that little prick a visit if he's still alive.
    Last edited by Viking; 02.06.05 at 08:55 AM.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry for your loss, seenbad.

Like I said, some of the ugliest, most tragic incidents in recent times stem from Meth. The thing that confounds me is how this drug continues to slip under the radar. Is it because it's a "White People" drug? Because people, Soccer moms, use it to loose weight?

Two years back, up in northern California, a two year old and her younger sister (just walking) were killed by a train that ran behind their house. The mother was asleep, in fact the cops had trouble waking her because she was coming off a 2 day Meth high.

Three years ago, a big-rig truck hauling 12 tons of granite, slammed into a line of cars that had stopped on the highway for road construction. The truck destroyed four cars and the occupant's inside, including a family of six. The driver had been up for three days high on Meth.

Five years back, up in Redding, CA, a teenage girl went missing and later turned up dead. A manhunt ensued for the Mexican man she was last seen with (the girl was blonde and white). When the guy turned himself in, it turns out that she was high on Meth that this guy had sold her and that she fucked him for more. She then drowned in the river. The community, fresh from the Poly Class ordeal (Class' murderer was also a Meth head) was so stunned and ashamed that nobody will discuss this event. The Guy went to prison for selling drugs but that's it.

In 1992, I was helping the local branch of MUFON (Mutual UFO Network...don't ask) up in Santa Cruz. I went up into the redwoods to a cabin near Felton, CA to interview some guy who seen a UFO. This guy proceeds to tell me this ellaberate story of a low-flying silver disk that hovered over his back yard, just above the trees. Little grey men with bulbous heads and big, black eyes appeared on the ground near his house and they were walking around. Then the disk and the little men vanished in bright flash and this guy blacks out, waking up a few hours later to the sound of helicopters overhead. He tells me that there are two black helicopters (no markings) hovering overhead and that commandoes, dressed in black, faces covered, force their way into the house and tear the place up looking for something they claim the aliens left. Then the men interrogate him for a few hours and then threaten to kill him if he talks to anybody. Then they fly away.
    I can't tell you what this guy does for a living, but it's the kind of job that the people who do it are serious, respected folks. That was why I was out there at his house, I thought he was a credible witness. The problem started when I could find no eveidence of anyone but this guy being in the house. The house had been trashed, somebody had been looking for something but I could find no evidence of forced entry, no boot-prints outside. I asked him how they'd gotten in because he told me that his doors were locked and dead-bolted. He surmized that the commandoes had a secret lock-picking device. When I pointed out the lack of footprints outside he said that the commandoes "floated"....okay. I looked at my watch an thanked him for his time and left. I told the guys at MUFON that this person had somekind of mental problem because, while he believe it happened, I could find no evidence. (Fort Ord has been closed for ten years and there is STILL physical evidence of military activity out there). Later on, the witness calls me up and tells me that I'm "One of them", that I was covering up the truth. He rambled on and on about the alien/US Governmnet conspiracy and that he'd remember my name and blah, blah blah. Three years later he died in a car wreck while high on Meth. This guy had been an addict at the time I talked to him, hence the delusional story. By that time I had ended my association with any UFO groups (for a number of reasons, chief one being that they are assholes) but I called my contact at the Santa Cruz MUFON and asked him if he'd seen the story. He said he had, he also said that I was being vindictive and wouldn't be suprised if this guy has been drugged and set up. I hung up and being the asshole that I am, I checked some UFO databases and sure enough many UFO/Black helicopter reports came from areas that were also known for high Meth use.

The problem was that since these people were otherwise respectable, reasonable and proffessional types; investigators just assumed they were telling the truth. They never suspected Meth use and the delusional aspects of the drug. There are many stories about Meth-head killing family memebers because they couldn't recognize them. They though they were anything from big (insert ethinic minority here) to werewolves.

I don't know why people don't make this drug a bigger deal. Maybe because some people feel that if they give it a higher profile that more people will seek it out. That may be so. But it poisons the evironmnet, kills people and ruins lives in so many awful ways. Plus, if a Meth lab catches fire, the smoke is toxic and the lab can explode and destroy an entire city block.

Great drug, huh?

My Blog:

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

We still pay money to Columbia to help and stop Cocaine from coming into the country, but Meth is far worse and is being produced here at a more alarming rate. It’s a terrible drug and it will be around for a long time.

Funny, though. The people who cook that stuff come up with the most intriguing ways of getting the ingredients when the norms are being monitored for purchase. We started watching Sudafed purchases due to the ephedrine they were getting, so they found away to extract it from chicken feed. Now, they are getting ingredients from Fix a Flat. Pretty smart if you ask me. If these guys would quit cooking Meth and try to cure Cancer, they might actually get somewhere.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Blabbermouth.net quotes Hagar as saying, "It's been a long, long time, but back in about '68, in Fontana, California, I had this unbelievable experience…I'm a firm believer—have seen, have felt, have been contacted three or four different times. I have received information that has been valuable in my life from those people, and they have used me. I'm gonna sound like a complete nut here, but they have used me in an experimental fashion. The easiest way to put it is that they downloaded my brain information. When I was about 19 or 20, they downloaded everything that was in my head. And I caught 'em doin' it! I woke up in the middle of the night, thinkin', 'What's goin' on?' They were like, 'Oh, my god, he's waking up!' But this was all telepathy—there were no words being spoken. And as soon as I woke up—it was probably three o'clock in the morning—my whole room was so bright that I could hardly keep my eyes open. I was wide-awake, I could not move, eyes open, white room, they were still disconnecting—and when they did, it just went 'bang!' Everything went back to normal, back to black. I was shaking, I almost passed out, I was sick to my stomach and almost had to throw up, it was so scary…"--

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Seenbad sorry for your loss.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.