Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for that Eddie sound...

Hi!
    First off let me just start by saying that I have searched the forum and haven't found a good answer to my question.

I want that Eddie sound (who here doesn't, right?). I don't want the level of equipment that would be required to go gigging...I don't know if I'll ever be that good!

I want to be able to play this stuff at 1am in the morning without waking up my wife, so obviously I'd like to be able to turn the volume down really low, and have the option of just plugging in some headphones.

I currently have a Gibson Les Paul Gothic guitar, a digitech RP300, and an Ibanez Tone Blaster 25.

I plan to buy a USA built Peavey Wolfgang Standard, but I'm not sure about all the different models that are available, and am paranoid about someone on Ebay scamming me into buying a Korean built wolfgang and passing it off as a USA built model. Can you give me any tips on buying a quality wolfgang?

I also assume I will have to buy a new amp, and some kind of processor unit, but I have no idea what fits my needs. I was looking at the 5150 amps, but they look like overkill (for me). Also I've looked at the PodXT, and personally I am not that impressed.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about all the different types of pedals and pre-amp "boxes"

Please help me pick out some nice equipment that's not too expensive or overkill for my needs!

Many thanks, and FANTASTIC FORUM!!!

- MJ

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

If you want to find the easiest and simplest means to getting, "Eddie's Brown Sound" go to jfrocks.com and there is a whole page about how to get Ed's brown sound.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.24.12 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah you are right there are many of us who have at one point in time searched fo that "tone" there are some ways to get his "sound" but there are a couple of catches. splawn modded marshall heads and mojave peacemaker amp get real close. cost here is a significant issue. another problem is volume. as you don't want to wake the wife keeping a tube amp such as the 5150 ( i had one) at low volumes = thin and buzzy, the louder you get it the more the sound opens up but the neighbors call the cops a 1:00 for that. I would suggest a master volume tube amp of your choice ( master volume help to push the tubes a littel and keep the volume down, and an eq pedal to bring the life back at low volumes. as far as effects i just picked up the rocktron xpression multi efect and really like it ( i have used art, alesis, digitech and many others) it is very transparent. also for early van halen dime the treble and mids lows at about 9:00.
    " if this band fails I'll take up the tuba " Eddie Van Halen
    And playing 3rd tuba in the pasedena marching band Mr Edward Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Try a POD...

Hi Jax951,

I know alota guys on here frown on the PODxts use as a guitar tool but seriously I have one and I love it....
    Alota these guys say they dont like the PODxts use as a live performance unit, which I can agree with, I dont think it works as well in a live band situation. It sounds a bit faded and compressed not in your face like a real amp.
    On the other hand, when it comes to bedroom performances (lol) and just playing around on your own with your headsets like you asked. I highly recommend the PODxt.
    I use mine directly into my computer and just use it to play along with backing tracks and it works great. It has an "Eruption" setting and I think it sounds very close to his old sound.
    To get his new sound your gona have to experiment a bit. Go by your music store and check one out.

Ross

Oh yeah and there is this new amp called the Atomic amp, its designed around the PODxt, and other units that are simular. It has tubes and Ive heard it makes the tones of the POD more like a real amp. Havnt tried one yet..has anyone had the chance?

Favorite VH Album

Balance,Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Every damn one!
    Last Online

02.02.11 @ 09:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i also have a question.... ok what are your guys basic EQ settings at? I've read the stuff at jfrocks.com for that, but I just want to get different ideas as to what you guys have set on your amps.
    "Some low life flathead scum infects, the sickness in his eyes reflects, you wonder why your life is screaming, wonder why we're humans being."

Proud Member of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Balance,Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Every damn one!
    Last Online

02.02.11 @ 09:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually let me reprhase, I have a "contour" control on my amp, now what would be the ideal setting for my contour? should i go for that deeper metal sound? cause i put it around halfway and the sound was just wayyy too bright.
    "Some low life flathead scum infects, the sickness in his eyes reflects, you wonder why your life is screaming, wonder why we're humans being."

Proud Member of the III Brigade.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.19.06 @ 10:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you have the right guitar, with a bridge humbucker and a floyd system, you've got the required equipment. What it really comes down to is your fingers.. Ed could plug his frankie into almost any amp and get that "brown sound" out immediately..... Just make sure you crank it up!
    Ed had the same problem with the neighbors and cops in the early days, and his solution was the variac. Reduce the amount of volt's into the amp, and you can crank it at a lower volume...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jax951,

Sounds to me like you own a Fender Princeton series from the 90s or something like it. Some solid state amps where built with a contour knob and if you notice there is no presence or Mid control.
    The contour knob pretty much is like a Mid but works in reverse if you turn it up it tends to compress and tighten the tone and make it more punchy (good for a heavy metal "stack" kinda chunk sound). When you turn it down it gets lose and is more of a fuzzy kinda crunchy bright sound.
    Well as far as what EQ sound to use...thats hard one, it depends on what kind of Ed sound your going for classic or more 90s/modern sound..

Classic
    Its gona be more bright and and crunchy and he uses and MXR phase 90 which gives a chewy swirly kinda tone...and use delay and alota reverb.

Modern
    Since he picked up the EBMM and the PV hes gone with a more compressed sound. Its more stack sounding very punchy and chunky more of a metal tone almost. No more MXR phase 90 either, its mostly chorus saturated kinda sound especially in the 90s. As time goes on his equip becomes even more complex...like hes runnning a space station.

If you listen to each album in progression you can actually gradually hear his tone mold into what it is...kinda neat..

Later Ross

PS since you gota solid state amp if you turn it way up itll tend to "fart" alot. They work better at mid levels.
    Tube amps on the other hand, the more you crank the better they get....or so I have heard.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to squash any dreams here, but I think it's completely in his hands.
    I played in a VH tribute for a no. of years. I was a pretty decent player before that but VH was just something the band would play now and then.
    Once we decided to become a tribute it took about 8 months of solid rehersals 3 nights a week, playing nothing but VH before I felt I sound like him when playing his material.
    After about 6 years I had enough and went back to hard blues, which is what I've been playing for the last 3 years or so.
    I still have my EVH guitar but now when I try to play VH it sounds like me playing him if you know what I mean.
    My point is, just play his material for as long as you can every day and eventually you'll sound like him no matter what you're using.
    If you don't then you may get a tone close to his by using a pod or something like that but you still won't sound like him.
    Just play and play and play......

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.07.11 @ 07:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

try here
    http://www.jfrocks2.com/
    click on: EVH Brown Sound

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, depending on the investment you wish to make there are a few ways to go. The quiet at 1:00 AM part does not match well with the desired Eddie sound, since his sound is a maxed Super Lead but here goes.

For serious 1Am stuff: probably a Marshall JMP1 preamp and a set of headphones.Est $300 used

For Almost quiet: A Marshall 2204 or 2203 master volume amp and a bottom with at least 2 Celestion greenbacks in it. You can get this quiet enough so you can hear yourself fart over the sound. It'll be buzzy but what do you expect. Est 1000 used

The almost not quiet but pretty darn close to Eddie: is a Marshall Super Lead (the older the better) and a 4x12 straight bottom with Celestions. Get a Hotplate to control the volume. est 1600 used

The very expensive sorta quiet dead nuts Eddie amp: is a Mojave Peacemaker with a 4 x12 straight bottom, and a Hotplate. est $2600 used

Get a cheap MXR phase 90 and clip R28 on the pcba $59
    Get an MXR Flanger (old one) on Ebay $150
    You need a strat with a humbucker, Floyd and maple neck for all of the above. $500

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I've read several mention an axe with a humbucker in the bridge position and floyd... I don't necessarily agree. You can get a good Edward tone from a standard strat with a relatively hot bridge pickup even single coil... or at least I can or maybe it's in the fingers...

The original poster mentioned he was just starting out... rather than dumping 3-5 grand on a Wolfgang and a pricey old Marshall or 5150 and some top effects. Heck the guy just needs a good axe that holds tune and feels comfortable in his hands. Then add a POD and a decent 50w or less amp... he'd have enough to get the feel for Ed's tone. Used gear and he could probably be up and running for about $500 - $800 or less.

IMO too many times I've seen people throw a ton of money buying the signiture gear in search of "the tone" only to be frustrated and finding they never come close. I think it's more important to get a good solid guitar and an amp that fits your needs a few effects and then learn to play the thing. The most ellusive aspect of nailing another guitarist tone is you never will have the exact piece of wood he had, nor the same biased amp, nor the same room, microphone, and whatever piss, beer and sweat has accumulated on his gear to capture the tone... that's not even taking into account his hands and resonant elements of his DNA... Better just to get a good rig and play...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you really analyze the tone, it's not that hard to get, but you can't get good EVH tone with a transistor amp and a single coil . I do agree that your attack and finger strength can have alot to do with it as has been stated. If you would at least try plugging in to a Super Lead with a Hotplate and turn it up past 7 you will know what I am attempting to discuss. The EVH tone is really NOT that distorted

I started out with a Squier Strat, a Peavy Backstage plus and a Proco Rat. The more I learned about tone, the more I knew my gear sucked. Eddie uses the heck out of his volume knob. With a non-MV amp, you can get that shimering clean sound AND the roar of cranked power tubes.

Last Online

06.04.06 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys. I really wasn't expecting this much feedback and input.

There's so much info here, I'm almost as confused as I was before I posted!

I've pretty much already decided that I want to get a wolfgang, so the guitar is out of the equation. The last time I had a guitar with a tremolo system was my second guitar I ever had...which was 4 guitars and 12 years ago. The guitar was a POS, and I was really bad at playing (and poor so I couldn't afford to buy anything nice).

JWR: Thanks for the info on the MXR units - I will be picking those up pretty soon. I think I read about them on the jfrocks.com website. Tons of useful information on there too!! Thanks for recommending it EvH_316_5150!

So I guess the only thing left to decide on is an amp, and perhaps some kind of effects processor like the podxt. I'm still not sure what to do about that. For those of you that have used the podxt, does it sound better in person than the sound clips on the Line6 website? Because personally I thought the eruption clip sounded awful - like a very cheap imitation. A lot of the other effects sounded pretty good though. As far as the amp goes though, I'd hate to buy something nice like a Marshall 2204 or 2203 - I doubt it will ever see the volume knob above 2 or 3.

Again, thanks for all the info guys!!!!! You've been incredibly helpful!

- MJ

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Well put Zahzoo

Well put Zahoo, well put...

I agree, if you want to sound like Eddie learn Eddies material.
    Besides his tone if you just learn to play his material in the same melodic fashion things like the tapping, harmonics, whammy dips.
    Especially melodic content...Players tend to stick to certain scales and shapes.
    If youve ever notices Eddies solo live is a compliation of parts from various VH songs and he usually repeats it from concert to concert of course with a twist.

In all, I think people concentrate to much on this stuff..I mean come on....its guitar its fun, thats why we do it....and sadly, I nor will anyone else BECOME Eddie Van Halen no matter how close we try...Eddie is just Eddie...and Im sure he doesnt try very hard to be himself...the best players never have to.

Ross