Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default hey houston, i think we got a new radio station

didnt we get a new rock station, like 97.5 or something to replace 101? i turned it on and they were playin "free for all" by ted nugent, so it cant be half bad.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man
    didnt we get a new rock station, like 97.5 or something to replace 101? i turned it on and they were playin "free for all" by ted nugent, so it cant be half bad.
    Tune in to 97.5 and you'll rock around the clock

Fans who mourned the loss of KLOL-FM have reason to rejoice.
    There's a new rock station in town.

In a not-so-subtle jab at KLOL, which for 35 years billed itself as "The Texas Rock 'n' Roll Authority" before switching to a Spanish hip-hop/reggaeton music format aimed at a young Latino audience two months ago, the new station's call letters are KIOL.

At noon Thursday, Cumulus Media flipped the former KRWP-FM Power 97.5 urban contemporary station to Rock 97.5. The first song played was AC/DC's For Those About to Rock (We Salute You).

The station is led by radio veteran Pat Fant, who managed KLOL in its heyday from 1983 until 1995, when he introduced the Buzz alternative music format at KTBZ-FM (94.5).

"This town is too big, too fast, too fantastic not to have a real rock station," Fant told an excited crowd at a launch party at the Fox Sports Grill.

Former KLOL personalities Jim Pruett and Dayna Steele Justiz were among those in the audience. Pruett said he is negotiating with the new station to helm a midday show.

Rumors were flying that the station hopes to sign former KLOL disc jockeys Outlaw Dave and the morning duo of Walton & Johnson when their non-compete clauses expire in the next few months.

Fant said no contact has taken place with the former KLOL DJs, but "when this talent is free to negotiate, my phone is always open, and I'm eager to talk."

Houston City Council member Carol Alvarado, who attended a wake for KLOL after the format change took place in November, was excited about the new station.

"This is great," she said. "I went to the funeral and now I'm glad to be at the resurrection."

Cumulus regional director Marco Camacho, who formerly worked for KLOL and Univision, said he was flooded with e-mails, faxes and calls after Clear Channel rechristened KLOL as Mega 101 FM, "Latino and Proud."

"As soon as I heard KLOL had gone Spanish, I knew there was huge void (in the Houston radio market)," he said.

Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio, an Internet-based publication that covers the radio industry, believes both Clear Channel, which owns Mega 101, and Cumulus will benefit.

Clear Channel now has a presence in the fast-growing Hispanic market while Cumulus will likely attract more listeners.

Cumulus' KRWP lagged far behind powerhouse urban stations, KMJQ-FM (102.1) and KBXX-FM (97.9), both owned by Radio One. Its other Houston-area station, country KVST-FM (103.7), barely has a presence due to a weak signal.

However, the station is currently moving its transmitter closer to Houston (from Willis to La Porte) and upgrading to 100,000 watts.

While the rock format is not nearly as popular as it was 20 years ago, it does well among men between the ages of 25-54, a hard-to-reach demographic.

"Why do you think beer companies pay so much to be on Monday Night Football?" Taylor said.

The first advertiser on Rock 97.5 was Budweiser.

:::::edit:::::
    Feb 1, 2002 KLOL Houston. The 34 year proud history of KLOL came crashing to an end as KLOL was urgently flipped to become Houstonís 16th Spanish station (a need that just had to be filled)Ö.W&J continue to service all affiliates with a new Houston flagship to be announce later.

16 Spanish Stations?!?!?
    Last edited by voivod; 02.04.05 at 06:33 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

YEAH WE DO!!! It's not coming in for me really clear yet, but hopefully with time it will get better. I've heard a lot of Uncle Ted, AC/DC, and a whole lot of Van Halen (and Sammy-era which was really rare on KLOL). The VH they're playing is not the same 'ol VH that usually plays on radios either. For example, I heard Unchained, Right Now, Poundcake, and Hot for Teacher this week. I've heard some great music so far on 97.5 (wouldn't you know my husband just got Sirius installed too???) and there's very few commercials from what I'm hearing.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Good deal. As much as I'm down in, "H" town, it needed some new blood as far as a rock station goes.

Still.......sorta miss ole 101.1 KLOL! Great station in its day!

Can't wait to come back next month and check it out!!

HH <---------RIP KLOL-----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually rock 101 got what they deserved now that i looked back at it. Their playlist was getting to predictable and they would play alot of creed and other bad stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man
    actually rock 101 got what they deserved now that i looked back at it. Their playlist was getting to predictable and they would play alot of creed and other bad stuff.

Agreed! Although back in the day, it was a great station. Lately, though, you're right...the same 'ol weak crap day after day.
    Meet me in Cabo!