Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.08.05 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Good riddance, Peavey

The parting of ways should've happened much, much earlier....let's be honest, Peavey can make a great-looking guitar, but Eddie's tone went to SHIT the first day he picked up Peavey equipment. SO unnatural sounding and artificial. C'mon people, we all SAY we liked it, but it was only because EDDIE was playing it. How many of us would've bought that crap if Eddie hadn't endorsed it?............

Back to Marshall amps, I hope, and how's this for an idea? Why not scrap the Charvel idea and give Gibsons a try? It'd be great to see Ed with an Explorer around his neck again, eh? Maybe a Les Paul?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,594 Times in 4,942 Posts

You're kidding right? The Wolfgang is a very nice guitar, that's a really inaccurate statement. Has nothing to do with Ed, it's a quality instrument. The 5150 is totally fine for what it is, and plenty of people get good tone from it. Eddie's tone became more processed and artificial well before he was using Peavey equipment, have you listened to "5150" and "FUCK" before? Marshalls, Kramers, Steinbergs, the Frank, Soldanos, and the EBMM's.

When was Ed ever playing a Gibson Explorer?

Ed playing a Les Paul? Uh no. Never looked right playing the one he did use in '78, just not his style at all. The ultra cliched hard rock look, an LP and a Marshall stack. Just not something I think Ed would look at doing.

And when's the last time Marshall made a tube amp worth a shit. I can't stand the new stuff. Awful sounding.

I'll agree with you on Charvel though. If it was still the "real" San Dimas Charvel we're talking about, that would be a different story.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Ed of course did play an Explorer style guitar years back that he seemed to like. However, the reason he created his original 1 HB guitar was because he didn't like the feel of a Les Paul but he wanted a similar sound.

As for the 5150s and newer Marshalls, I have a dislike of both of them.

Since Ed has left Peavey, he will probably go back to the Marshall 1959 or 1987 models. Or maybe he will try something new and get a THD Flexi or a Mojave Peacemaker. Ya never know.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Oh you mean the Shark? It was an Ibanez Destroyer, so yeah I guess you could say it was in the style of an Explorer.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Oh you mean the Shark? It was an Ibanez Destroyer, so yeah I guess you could say it was in the style of an Explorer.
    Yeah, the Shark. I remember, about five years ago, hearing some rumors about Peavey making an EVH Shark guitar. Isn't that silly?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To be honest, I originally got a 5150 cause Ed played it but to this day I think it's one of the worst sounding amps I've ever heard.
    I don't know what he was thinking when he designed that thing.

I've played a couple of newer marshalls that sound great. One is the new 18 watter 1974X combo. That little sucker has balls, but it's too expensive. The jtm 45 reissues sound really good with a couple of small mods to the circuit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,809 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I find that I can get a great sound out of my 5150. It does sound a lot better when the tubes are cooking but you can still get a good sound at low volumes.

I did retube mine so maybe that helped.

Anyway sound is all subjective.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well, I think one of Eddie's best tones ever is on Humans Being, and that's definitely a 5150. I think Eddie got some good tones out of the 5150-listen to Learning To See as well-but I am looking forward to him hopefully going to a different sound, and not necessarily Marshall either. I'd like to see him come out of left field with something different or unexpected, make some new music with a bit of a different tone, release a new cd in 05 and hit the road. Who knows with these guys.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

You guys will laugh but I think my 5150 sounds better with my Pod XT running in front of it.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    You guys will laugh but I think my 5150 sounds better with my Pod XT running in front of it.
    I have a Peavey amp that sounds better if you plug the guitar straight into the effects loop return. The preamp section on it is pretty much crap. The amp also sounds like crap with my SansAmp pedal into the preamp or straight into the power amp, so I don't know what I am going to do with it.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Its just a name

Yeah it was an Ibanez Destroyer Ed cut a chunk outa it and said he cut a chunk outa its tone at the same time.
    The truth is the guitar, amp, etc.. dont make someone a great player. The player him/herself does....if that makes sense..you all know this.
    Anything with someones name on it will sell for a fatter prce tag....Ferrari's, clothing, alota stuff I mean they are somewhat superior in a technical fashion but to take a price tag and multiply it by 3?
    The EBMM was remade into the Axes, I think the Axes is just as nice....
    What ever Eddie or Eric get thier hands on will always be big bucks,
    infact Ill be happy to be able to obtain a PVMG for less now.
    I think people need to worry more about what thier ears and heart are telling them and what thier hands are doing, rather than the name on thier equipment. The greatest players are the ones who try something different. Who knows, maybe that nasty, beat up "no name" guitar which no one else has will become your trademark axe someday...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    I have a Peavey amp that sounds better if you plug the guitar straight into the effects loop return. The preamp section on it is pretty much crap. The amp also sounds like crap with my SansAmp pedal into the preamp or straight into the power amp, so I don't know what I am going to do with it.

Sounds like you've pretty much already decided what to do with it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04
    Well, I think one of Eddie's best tones ever is on Humans Being, and that's definitely a 5150. I think Eddie got some good tones out of the 5150-listen to Learning To See as well-but I am looking forward to him hopefully going to a different sound, and not necessarily Marshall either. I'd like to see him come out of left field with something different or unexpected, make some new music with a bit of a different tone, release a new cd in 05 and hit the road. Who knows with these guys.
    As long as you understand that Ed doesn't run his amps like the average person, just plugging into the front with a couple of pedals. There's a lot more to it on his rig.
    There's also no garantee that it was his 5150 by itself that was used for that recording. He's been known to use different guitars and amps in the studio.
    What/if he does anything this year will probably depend a lot on who he teams up with.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Exactly. Using Celestions, EL-34s, etc. (in the studio)

It would be fun to do that to my old 5150 combo....if I still had it! I probably would goof with the tubes, and change the speakers.

I almost never used the Lead channel after my first 12 months with it, so I'd like to try that again, but with a PAF pickup instead. Or at least something with more bandwidth than the EBMM or Wolf pickups. That would've been fun.

But, it's sold, and I don't regret it....

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

toolshed, your a fucking moron.

ed designed the guitar and amp. ed owns the guitar and amp. eds ears chose the guitar and amp. nothing got off the production line without his approval.

therefore if eds tone sucked it's his fault not the equipment.

ergo, your a fucking moron.
    Last edited by lil'devil; 02.03.05 at 07:12 PM.