Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Default Learning to play keys...

Hey all, I have been playing the getar for about 3 years now and I want to move on to somthing else. I'm thinking of buying a keyboard and I got a few questions for those of you who have knowlege of the subject. First is there tabs for keyboard or do I have to learn music because my theory is not good. Second what kind of sounds can I get with a standard keyboard assuming their is such a thing. Could I play say, Jump on any keyboards and get the same cool synth sound? How much is a decent keyboard and what brands are out there? Thanks. Space

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

>>>First is there tabs for keyboard or do I have to learn music because my theory is not good.

You'll need to learn music unless you have an excellent ear for music. Tablature only exists for stringed instruments because the same notes on a guitar can be played in several different positions: you can play the same E four different places on the neck. On a piano, middle C is always middle C. Don't worry about theory; that has nothing do to with learning to read music.

>>>Second what kind of sounds can I get with a standard keyboard assuming their is such a thing? Could I play say, Jump on any keyboards and get the same cool synth sound?

Well...hmm...you just gotta shop around to find what you want. If you want just a "basic keyboard" a salesperson will show you one that has several piano sounds and maybe a dozen or so others. "Jump" was played on a synthesizer (also a keyboard but...well, I'll let you find out the difference).

>>>How much is a decent keyboard and what brands are out there?

I advise you to go to a music store and see what's out there. There are too many options out there. I advise you to get something with full-sized keys and stay away from something with smaller keys. Yamaha makes some good lower-end stuff. You'll probably wind up spending from $300 - $600.

Hope I helped a little.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc
    >>>First is there tabs for keyboard or do I have to learn music because my theory is not good.

You'll need to learn music unless you have an excellent ear for music. Tablature only exists for stringed instruments because the same notes on a guitar can be played in several different positions: you can play the same E four different places on the neck. On a piano, middle C is always middle C. Don't worry about theory; that has nothing do to with learning to read music.

>>>Second what kind of sounds can I get with a standard keyboard assuming their is such a thing? Could I play say, Jump on any keyboards and get the same cool synth sound?

Well...hmm...you just gotta shop around to find what you want. If you want just a "basic keyboard" a salesperson will show you one that has several piano sounds and maybe a dozen or so others. "Jump" was played on a synthesizer (also a keyboard but...well, I'll let you find out the difference).

>>>How much is a decent keyboard and what brands are out there?

I advise you to go to a music store and see what's out there. There are too many options out there. I advise you to get something with full-sized keys and stay away from something with smaller keys. Yamaha makes some good lower-end stuff. You'll probably wind up spending from $300 - $600.

Hope I helped a little.
    Yeah that definately answered my questions thanks. Unfortunaltely in Canada a $300 - $600 dollar key board is going to be alot more but I'll still probably get one.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Some Roland keyboards actually have a sound called "Jump." Most crappy keyboards even have something close to the Jump sound. It's a pretty standard synth horn thing.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casemeister
    Some Roland keyboards actually have a sound called "Jump." Most crappy keyboards even have something close to the Jump sound. It's a pretty standard synth horn thing.
    Yep. I have a Yamaha CS2X and that sound is called "Jump!". It's so close but it has this annoying little ring (or something) that I can't get rid of no matter what I do. *sigh*

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz