WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

02.07.09 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default OK, who here likes Cake?

No, not the food...the band!

I have enjoyed various songs of theirs throughout the years and recently ponied up the money to buy some of their albums. They sure don't branch out a bunch from their formula, but man do they right some fun and catchy music! Not an album by them that I can't sit through the whole thing and enjoy.With lyrics like "Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell", what's not to like?

So anyone else a fan?
    "Life sucks...get a fucking helmet!" - Denis Leary<br /><br />"Here's how I come up with my song titles...say you write a song about a chandelier...the chandelier puts out light...the light is red...red is the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull...so you call the song "Cow". - Billy Corgan

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I like 'em. If I had one complaint, it would be that radio plays too much of their music that makes them sound a bit repetitive.
    I love Comfort Eagle! Great song!

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't know about that cake but Pert says texas pound "CAKE" is pretty yummy
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I'm a pretty big Cake fan. I didn't get into them too much until around 1998. I worked at a music store from 1991 until 1998. They broke onto the scene in 1996 and people played their album in our store...but I didn't think much of it. Then I met my wife-to-be in 1998 she was a big fan and we listened to a few of their albums while on vacation at Lake Tahoe. I was HOOKED!! Then...as fate has it...I was later working at Yahoo! from 2000-2002. (I was working on a broadband television show put out by Yahoo! called FinanceVision) In early 2002 (February I think) Cake was slated to play Europe on a small tour...but the guys were too freaked out to fly over there as this was still too soon after September 11th. Yahoo! got together with them and signed a contract so they could come to OUR studios and we would do a live broadband broadcast of their show (not sure if anyone remembers this or not). So because we were the ones sending out the feed I got to run the audio board (post-studio mix). I basically took the mixed feed from their audio op and sent it out over the "air". But the real treat was the day before the actual broadcast. We were technically closed because it was President's Day...but we still had to come in to work...because CAKE needed to rehearse their show!! Man...we got to watch them play almost ALL of their catalog as they were trying to decide which songs to play for the show (The show was in support of their Comfort Eagle album). My wife was able to come in and we all got to watch Cake from about 10 feet away play off and on for 7 hours!! We were their own private rehearsal audience (at the same time we were working on getting our shots for the show and testing the audio). We ended up having pizza with them around lunch time. I'll tell you this....they are just real people. Very down to earth. Their songs are quirky...and they are a bit too...but they just like to play music and have fun.

The broadcast went off without a hitch (It enede up running 2 hours) and I got myself a SOUNDBOARD bootleg out of it!!! I took the master tape into Pro-Tools and remastered it. There are only 5 in existence and it sounds pretty damn awesome! I also took the video feed and ran it into a DV deck and bumped off a VHS copy of it. Unfortunately I don't have the original DV tape. But I plan to make a DVD out of the video. It was a VERY memorable experience!
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is an amazing story evans. I can only imagine how awesome that must have been. I too have recently started liking this band because of their quirky but catchy music. Anybody else around here still liking these guys these days?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

10.24.13 @ 07:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I acutally just got into them. I heard there song "Love You Madly" on Forgetting Sarah Marshal and got the Soundtrack, then bought 3 more of their CD's since. Very fun band, funny lyrics, and good vibe.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like em, good, solid, unique band. I have all of their albums. They should be about due for a new release, if they are still active. Their last release was "Pressure Chief" in 2004 and then a B-Sides album in 2007. They always pick interesting titles for their albums.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indeed they do pick interesting titles for their albums. Also, I think Cake comes up with some of the most cool-looking album artwork I've ever seen. Their style is very distinctive.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

I like them....although I've only bought the Comfort Eagle CD.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"