Favorite VH Album

all...and the 14th one too!
    Favorite VH Song

there the sound track\'s of my life...and you want "1"
    Last Online

06.29.05 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Spruce or Cedar?

I started a thread a while back asking about the better accustic guitar...I got a few responces...Timmal and Copenhalen to name a few (thanks)...though i have'nt nailed down single pick as of yet...what I need now is to know...which is the better top..Spruce or Cedar...cause iam getting tons of advice here at home from guitar players...and i felt i would ask you's if there was a prefered top...by the way the price range just went up to 4 hundred!!lol...and the yamaha/fender/segal debiet goes on...many have said the fender accustic...not a great buy??? so its down to the YAM. spruce top and the Segal..cedar top...HELP!!! i thought learning to play was tough till i had to decide on a guitar thanks for time and input

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spruce top rosewood back and sides if you can afford it go all solid woods. I think that is the best combo. to me cedar is ok but thats it ok!

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

It all depends on your taste. I used to sell Seagulls and I own the S6. It's a solid cedar top w/ wild cherry back & sides (laminated). At your price range, this would be, IMO, the best bang for the buck. Yamaha doesn't make bad guitars, No WAY I'd get a fender p.o.s., but Seagull all the way on this one. Made in Canada from cedar trees that are 200+ years old. Plus, they keep the moths away.
    Last edited by mk5; 02.01.05 at 07:54 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it were only that easy to decide on a guitar by the top there'd only be one or two manufacturers out there and all guitars would be priced the same. There are too many other factors. You have to consider the type of body wood, the thickness of body wood, the type and layout of internal bracing, as well as the glues, and the type of neck and truss rod system within the neck. On top of that no two acoustics sound the same.
    You might go through a room with 30 acoustics and find 2 or 3 that feel good and sound just as good, regardless of the top.
    I haven't found any kind of big difference on a spruce or cedar top on a 400 guitar, but quality wise Seagull wins easily.
    Sometimes you might have to do a bit of adjustment to the bridge for the action but the guitars are made very well and they'll stand up to years of use.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

I just bought a Takamine 12- string with a solid spruce top and flamed maple back and sides . I don't know how much of it has to do with the woods , but this thing just SINGS !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

all...and the 14th one too!
    Favorite VH Song

there the sound track\'s of my life...and you want "1"
    Last Online

06.29.05 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the Segall is starting to get the edge...from what the Guitar shop that iam dealing with has to say ...he feel's the Segall is a better built unit...but your are right,,,it all depends on the sound...i have to admit..it will be the casting vote at this point....Man i thank you all for your input...keep an eye out i'll let you know what i get...again THANK'S

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    I haven't found any kind of big difference on a spruce or cedar top on a 400 guitar, but quality wise Seagull wins easily.
    Ditto. Best buy out there for the money, IMO.