Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default A Change Is On The Way

I was thinking about it and I truly believe a significant change is on the way for the musical direction for Van Halen (should some new VH material be released in the next 2 years). Here's my theory, and I have some solid evidence to back up my thoughts.
    Everytime Eddie changes guitar endorsements his musical ideas evolve and transition in a different direction. We saw it with his Ernie Ball Musicman. He played a lot with the neck pickup for once ... he also had Ernie ball make some 12 strings (heard on the rhythm tracks of Pouncake) ... he had a special bass/baritone guitar designed heard on spanked ... etc.
    In 1996 Peavey came on board. In came the dark D-Tuna and later on the sustainer pickup sound we find so prominant on "Respect the Wind", "Humans Being" and "Learning To See" .. also heavy sustainer stuff throughout the III tour and "Best Of" Tour 2004.
    We also saw the usage of 5150 amps.
    Ok... having said that ... Eddie now has Charvel ...thank God. And a new line of amps soon to be revealed. MXR has reissued an EVH phaser that is awesome. These factors alone are enough to inspire Eddie (or anyone for that matter) to create new music and evolve in a different direction.
    Ok..on top of musical endorsement changes, Eddie has had some trouble lately with health and marital issues. His son is growing up fast. He has a new girlfriend (I have heard??) ... he just came off the road as well. These personal items, as well as countless others we are not aware of (perhaps Dimebag's death) also contribute to a musicians state of mind and level of inspiration.
    Lastly, Eddie seems to have loosened up a bit since the balance tour and the 1st Sammy Hagar breakup .... I know some people say he seems aloof etc... well, guess what... Eddie has always marched to the beat of his own drummer, and I don't mean Alex (as do most fantastic musicians). Eddie is drinking and seems to be enjoying life or atleast has adopted the "What the Fu%$" attitude once again. I don't think VH is in any immenant danger of splitting up. I think Eddie is working on some new products an Sammy has his own interests. Sammy is a busy guy and likes to do 1000 things at once (speed channel, cooking channel, Cabo Wabo co., Waboritass, Van Halen, Planet US, Vacation, Eat, etc. etc. etc. need I say more). Eddie realizes this and these guys are so rich and have so much to do they will get to the music in due time. For them, 3 months is like waiting 5 years for us so let's hope it's not too long before we get new music. I will say this, I truthfully think that when and if they deliver new product to us, Eddie will have changed gears and we will be surprised.
    My prediction is that with his new Charvel's and with his new amps (whomever they will be made by) that his playing will get a little raunchier. Gone will be the days of an effects driven EVH sound (ala F.U.C.K. balance, III - not that I don't like his sound on most of that stuff) .... When playing a stripped down US made Charvel, it is like driving a fast street rod. No frills and balls to the wall. Eddie's playing and inspiration can't help but change and transition with this new guitar, and God knows what a new amp will do for him.
    Well ... I guess we will see in time. But I really do think that when/if we get new VH music, we will see a big change.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Interesting analysis. But, as always, I'm in "wait and see" mode without hanging my hopes on any one concept.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, good post Warmoth. The waiting period is the biggest issue. You mentioned a few months? As much as I would like to see it, I don't. Hopefully Ed won't spend too much time working in gear that is already proven gold. Great thoughts, I appreciate it....!

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Good post man, I can see what you're saying and it makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliments guys ... it just seems logical the more I think about it. Who knows ... I could be totally wrong, but it all makes good sense to me. Another thing to think about is with the tour wrapping up last year and all the new EVH products on the market and some soon to be on the market, it proves that Eddie isn't ready to wrap anything up anytime soon. Time is just the issue ...
    I think Van Halen's new management is doing a very good job, and marketing is taking important steps in making things happen. Perhaps we'll see some "new" material in the form of concert DVD's etc... Musicians generally don't make for good business men. I think that VH's management is trying to capatalize on Eddie's celebrity and marketability while not trying to water it down and make it offensive because they are offering good products that have credability. All the new items on the VH store seem to support that idea. The new EVH shirts are cool. Damn, even the Rolling Stone covers for sale aren't that bad. I kinda think the $49.99 guitar pick is insane, but if I had $50 to blow I might get one if I got the crazy notion and thought about it for too long.
    Here's my last thought ... at this point in the game, Charvel probably understands that if VH never plays another concert again or releases another CD, the striped guitars will still sell like crazy for as long as they can distribute them ... however, I see this as a new beginning. I don't think Eddie just takes guitar endorsements for the money. He wants to play the sh#! out of the mothers and create some new music. Once he gets his amp endorsement out of the way, look out. He's gonna' let it all hang out. I can see him getting inspired at 2am and walking down the front yard to 5150 and laying down some wicked solo over something he was working on earlier that day. That's what new gear will do for you. It's kinda like a new girlfriend or car. That break in period is the best!!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Where is it written that change is good? Been there, done that...

As for this "excellent marketing" you speak of, the '04 tour's radio and TV marketing consisted of all 'classic VH' music with the exception of "Right Now". Maybe the interpretation of 'good' is in the minds of the wrong people. Stripes? We all know when that was good. Phaser? Same era. The equipment doesn't make the musician; it's the other way around. If anything, the equipment gets in the way (Eventide Shit-izer).
    I hope for the best but it keeps coming back around to change...whatever that is.

Last Online

04.24.10 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting idea. I could seea ton of stuff having an impact on Eddie's, or anyone else's creative output. I am up for just about anything the band decides to do. I just hope they do SOMETHING reletively soon, and then tour some of the smaller cities.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

It'll more or less but a big smile on Wolfie's face,and inspire songs like Big Fat Money!

Last Online

09.30.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing happens with VH until Eddie gets straight.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Has there been some sort of confirmation that Ed, is in fact, going to design/endorse another amplifier? I would rather prefer Ed spend his time creating new music.....but alas, that's the spoiled fan in me speaking.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Intersting read...this thread...I like this point and will state it again...if VH is done, why the big endorsement deals?

These big companies must know that ED is not through...that makes me smile.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

As long as EVH is alive, people will pay $$$ to be associated with him. He is (with or without his band), afterall, legendary.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

I like your theory. Lots of things inspire musicians and certainly tweaking their sound will do it. I'm hoping that Eddie gets the band together for a full length album. I liked the 3 new songs and would love to hear more.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Tone

"Man, if I lose my tone I can't do nothin. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't.......FUck." ---Miles Davis

An artist like Ed is always on the search for that tone. Its a constant quest, and I think were about to see an evolution.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.11.05 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth
    He has a new girlfriend (I have heard??) ...
    Your entire post was nicely put. The above line caught my eyes.

This is the first I have "heard/read" about this on any board. Heres what I can say for this:

I live in a small town in NJ along the Delaware River. Some of you may know how small towns operate. Everyone thinks they know everyone AND their business. Much of it is rumor.

I have not seen him so I am guilty of pushing the rumor along, if only on this baord. Ed has been seen frequently here (I have not seen him but this is true - pictures in the local paper), and is said to frequent a certain restauraunt on the river. People are also saying he is dating a NJ State Trooper who lives here as well.

Again, Im not saying this is truth, just what the people in town are saying. "My wifes boss's wife sold the state trooper her house and she told her "... thats the kind of thing we deal with here. No one EVER hears it directly. Normally I dont get too into this rumor stuff but there have been pics in the local weekly paper on more than one occasion.

Anyone else hear anything similar or different?

Tower