Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

04.23.05 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Maybe a Boogie?

Awhile ago, I bought a Line6 SpiderII 30w amp. I'm now finding it useless now that I have a PodXT. I like the sound of Mesa Boogie stuff, but most of them are pretty big and loud, not to mention expensive. Are there any lower end Mesas' that aren't too loud? (30-40w)? All that I see on their site are the Nomads that might come close. I did a search and found a 1x12 combo that didn't seem to be on their site. I am wanting to use my PODxt for effects too. I need something that I can play in an apartment, but I am under the impression that Boogies are just too loud! Please help!!!
    God Speaks to us through the Bible. If He could play the guitar, he'd play it through Eddie Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Yes, Boogies are loud.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

EVH Nut,

Agreed. Boogies, if not all tube amps in general, are generally louder than solid state amps with the same wattage rating. The watt rating refers to the power "before clipping" (a/k/a distortion). However, Mesa makes a Subway Rocket that would probably be nice for your application; it has a headphone jack too. I'm not going to get into too many suggestions, because then everyone will give one and you'll be thoroughly confused. Good luck in the search
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I have the same problem. I want tone but it has to be low volume. One thing that has worked for me is my Tech 21 Trademark 10. I run it into my 4 X 12 with a Pod Xt in the effects loop for effects only (I really don't like the amp models on this unit). I get great whisper quiet tones, and if I crank the little 10 watt Trademark, it gets rather loud, too loud for home use. That's one solution that works for me. I get great Marshall tones on the Marshall setting at any low volume level-from whisper quiet to t.v. volume and up.

Now I'm also doing some experimenting with tube amps, which without a hotplate cannot be played at bedroom volumes. I bought a Weber Mass 100 to work with a 50 watt head. At bedroom volumes this unit just doesn't cut it. Terrible sound, all squashed and extremely fizzy. But I tried running the DI out to my Marshall 30 watt solid state combo, and that worked pretty good. So I'm thinking that if I get a power amp (recommendations anyone?), and run my head into the Mass, DI out to power amp, then power amp to cab, I should be able to get nice cranked tube tone at low volumes with the right power amp. This is the direction I'm headed in next.

Anyway EVH Nut, I've found one thing that works and I'm working on another. Maybe even something like a Vox Tonelab SE into a power amp then into a cab might be good too for lower volumes. But look into the Tech 21 stuff, it sounds real good, nice and warm, at low volumes.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna check out the F-series. There's a 1x12 30w (I think). It's got a headphone jack on it, so that's usually an indication that it won't be too loud for my place. Still, they're $1300.00ish Canadian, ouch!
    God Speaks to us through the Bible. If He could play the guitar, he'd play it through Eddie Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

100% forget Boogie if it's for at home use only. I run a Triple Rec and loud doesn't even begin to describe this thing. At home volumes my rig sounds like complete shit, there is no way around it. I gig so my setup works for me, but most tube amps that I've used that sound good need to be loud...generally the louder the better.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I think the F series are good amps, but 30 watts is WAY too loud just for home use. I tried a DSL 50 with my 4 x 12 for about a month, and for it to sound any good I had to get it loud. Damn that thing was loud turned all the way up. No way in hell I could play that at home, unless like I said earlier I do the line out to a power amp setup. 30 watts isn't going to be much quieter than 50 when cranked up. Sounded real nice though.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I think Mesa makes a "Lonestar Special", which I believe is a combo that can be configured to run as low as 5 watts (basically only one of the power tubes).

Whether or not it sounds good, I couldn't tell you.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well this weekend, I went in and tried an F-30, but decided against it. I couldn't figure out what the hell I wanted, my buddy at the shop says, sounds like you want POD-type features in an amp that you can use at low volumes or headphones and also get some jamming use with others out of it. Hence why I have traded my Spider II, foot switcher and POD in for a Flextone III! Everything I was looking for, the only bummer is I need Midi in order to hook up to my iBook!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd really suggest finding an old JMP or JCM800 Marshall and a 4x12 bottom. They defined the tone that all others duplicated.