Thread: Warped neck?

Favorite VH Album

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Warped neck?

Got a technical quesion for you. I got a Krammer neck off ebay that is warped. Actually it's warped upward. - -
    - -
    - -
    -------------
    I tried tightening and loosening the trussrod adjustment, and it did'n't make ay difference. Any ideas to help me get it back to where it will play. I hate taking a chance on bidding on any other necks after this. It's a striker body, so I'm not reall into spending a whole lot of money on it either.
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds like yer screwed, id either take it into a tech and see if he could fix it, either that or go to meanstreetguitars.com. I belive some people there have bought kramer necks from that guy

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man
    sounds like yer screwed, id either take it into a tech and see if he could fix it, either that or go to meanstreetguitars.com. I belive some people there have bought kramer necks from that guy
    Unfortunately that's exactly right. Fixing a true warp involves removing the frets from the neck, planing the fretboard if it's not too badly warped and then replacing the frets.
    A very expensive endevour, and usually not worth it on most necks cause they not only have to plane it, but plane it and try and keep the original radius. then it has to be re-slotted to take the new frets.
    Let a tech check it to make sure it actually is a warp and not just a bad bow that might still be corrected. It only takes a few seconds to check. A warp is a twisting of the neck so that when you sight down the neck toward the headstock it'll look like it's got kind of a liquorice twist to it from side to side.
    You can double check with a good metal straight edge ruler but a real warp isn't hard to spot.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    Unfortunately that's exactly right. Fixing a true warp involves removing the frets from the neck, planing the fretboard if it's not too badly warped and then replacing the frets.
    Couldn't ya try a heat press first? I would think if the warp is not that bad it would be a helluva lot easier than yankin frets...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen heat pressed necks that didn't make much difference, and even rewarped, even though the techs said, " oh yea, it'll work, no problem".
    It takes time in the press, is still pricey, and doesn't always work. It seems to be one of those "well lets try it and see if it helps" treatments.
    I think it warps originally because of the neck grain being unstable in a particular neck.

Favorite VH Album

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's what I was afraid of. How do you heat wrap it? I'm an electrician and we use a heat blanket that you wrap around PVC pipe to bend it, it that what your talking about?
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, the neck is clamped in place from both sides and then as the clamps move together under pressure heat is applied to the wood through the clamps, softening the wood fibre and straightening it. The temp. has to be exact and applied for the right lenth of time or it could soften the glue beneath the fret board more than necessary. Unfortunately it's usually only a temporary fix because a lot of twists are caused by a natural grain twist in the wood that shows up over time.
    Last edited by tribb; 02.02.05 at 08:45 AM.