Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default Why do we still care about race?

I started thinking about making this thread when the Are all VH fans considered equal here?? thread was burning up the wires and though it may be similar to Charvel2's I'm really pissed off right now... I feel it's still a worthwhile discussion. Why do we still feel the need to "sort" people by the colour of their skin? I've been job hunting and in some of the application processes it's asked the dreaded question. When I signed jack007 up for school last year, I purposely left the box blank - which my wife thought was a waste of time as they'd make me fill it in when I turned it in (they did, of course) but still, it was my way of making a point. What difference does it make what colour jack's skin is? Does it really matter? My oldest son would be considered "black" by most people, but his mother is "white" and my understanding is that his father was of "mixed ancestry" - so technically, he's more "white" than "black" but his skin tone is darker than the rest of ours. Why should it matter? He's there for the same thing everyone else is I hope - to get educated and prepare to enter the real world in another 5 or so years. I realise there's still some bastions of society that feel the need to judge people on the "colour" of their skin, but I'd like to think they are few and far between (at least as far as opportunity goes). Why must we label? Why is Donovan McNabb a "black" quarterback? Why is SuckaInAThreePiece the "black" mod? Why does it matter? I don't recall ever hearing Danny Ainge (I haven't followed the NBA for years, so sue me!) referred to as "the "white" guard in a sport where I believe the majority of the participants would be considered "black", so why is it necessary to point out that someone who has ascended into the "white realm" as "that black (whatever)"? This was all pointed out to me as a teen in of all places a book about baseball (the best book ever written - "Ball Four") where there were several passages dealing with the issue. Sometimes I think it would be best if we were all made to breed with someone of different skin tone than us, but then we'd probably still find some way to sort ourselves.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Welcome to planet Earth. Buckle up.

I find it ridiculous as well that we still worry about these sort of things. But really, I don't sense this sort of racial dilema going away anytime soon. As long as there is a sign of difference between two other races, there will always be discrimination. The best way for society to jump over this is for different races to interact. That's kind of the problem. People can be so discrimative because they don't know enough about other people.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Some people thrive off of it. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton wouldn't have anything to do without racism, so they keep it alive. Give someone of color a traffic ticket and they are there screaming about the injustice, but beat the hell out of a white gay kid, string him up to a fence to die (Matthew Sheppard) and they really don't give a shit or show up to help that family because it does nothing for them.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 01.30.05 at 12:08 PM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    Some people thrive off of it. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton wouldn't have anything to do without racism, so they keep it alive. Give someone of color a traffic ticket and they are there screaming about the injustice, but beat the hell out of a white gay kid, string him up to a fence to die (Matthew Sheppard) and they really don't give a shit or show up to help that family because it does nothing for them.
    Good point. How pathetic is it to talk more about racism just to gain the support and attention and even the wealth.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I believe there's just something in human nature that needs to see the world in terms of "Them and Us". Maybe it's a survival instinct from when we were still balancing on our knuckles. You see it all over the world on all sorts of levels. In a global sense there's the Middle East vs The West thing, but it goes down every level. Within the USA and the UK and elsewhere there are race issues, and then even within races there are further camps that see each other as "Them" and not "Us". And as we're human beings with this tribal instinct, we see anything that advantages "Them" as disadvantaging "Us". I think it's just the way we're wired and evolution just hasn't caught up on this issue yet.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

ALL of them
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets,Dreams,Once
    Last Online

12.27.06 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree it's completely ridiculous. I've heard many arguments against desegregation in schools. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life, it's opened my mind in a lot of ways. There is too much we can learn from each other if people would just bring down their own "iron" curtain. Unfortunately too many people don't.
    We have Mardi Gras right now and I haven't been to a single parade in over a decade. Why? I was standing behind a baracade with a friend. We both took our son's (about 3 yrs. old) to see a parade. A racially mixed couple was standing near us. This went relatively unnoticed until someone complained, starting hostilities, among this we heard someone say something about a gun. We grabbed the kids and ran. That did it, just because of one moron.
    I went to a parade last night and all was well. No bull, just a bunch of people having a good time. I might even go again.
    I have been hesitant to say so myself here, but I've also had friends who are muslim. Before and after 911. They are against what has happened and things going on. In a sense, SOME have a double whammy. SOME have to look both ways before professing their faith. That's food for thought.
    "In the end we will conserve only what we love
    We will love only what we understand
    We will understand only what we are taught."

- Baba Divum

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2
    I believe there's just something in human nature that needs to see the world in terms of "Them and Us". Maybe it's a survival instinct from when we were still balancing on our knuckles. You see it all over the world on all sorts of levels. In a global sense there's the Middle East vs The West thing, but it goes down every level. Within the USA and the UK and elsewhere there are race issues, and then even within races there are further camps that see each other as "Them" and not "Us". And as we're human beings with this tribal instinct, we see anything that advantages "Them" as disadvantaging "Us". I think it's just the way we're wired and evolution just hasn't caught up on this issue yet.
    I agree. What about the "pretty" people? Some guys prefer waifs; others prefer their ladies "full-figured"; and still some like whale-tail. <---Even that comment, after re-reading it, shows negative bias.
    And what's up with teenagers? They go out of their way to dress inappropriately (as an example) to show their freedom of expression then defend themselves by saying, "but everybody else does it"! Herd mentality is actually quite funny, if not the basis for racism. We must all be the same while knowing we are all different.
    I've heard white people talk about blacks that "talk white" or "sound white". How silly. I'm from Kentucky yet have been told I don't "sound like a hillbilly". And these teenage white boys "acting black"? I must be getting stupid in my old age. They are just sheep to what the entertainment industry is selling them. If you want the things that Kid Rock is portrayed as having, you will act out like Kid Rock.
    Television, unfortunately (TV actually could be a good thing), is turning out to be the root of all evil. I'm not religious (although somewhat spiritual) but I will go as far as to say that TV is the false prophet we were warned of in Bible School. But I digress...
    People fear change and difference. Since fear is not a 'positive' emotion, it gets acted out in different ways, ie racism, etc. We ARE different. ALL of US. Me. You. Her. Him. I don't talk funny. Only different. The rest is up to you...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It is the dark-side of human nature.

I grew up in an all-white community, guess what? We sub-divide our own.
    Rich vs Poor
    Protestant vs Catholic vs Jewish
    Surfers vs Redneck Cowboys
    Jocks vs Stoners
    Thin vs Fat
    Valley Kids vs City Kids
    Carmel kids against the world.

Other ethnic groups are also guilty of this. Mexicans will NOT associate with indains. Then there are Mexicans of pure Spanish blood who look down their noses at the mixed.

Race is a factor but today it's evenly abused.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Some good points on other differences like appearance, religion and sexuality - but they don't usually ask you those questions on questionaires. I've never had to tell 'em I'm a fat, heterosexual Christian!

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

One good thing about being military... you are exposed to many different races. You live together, work together, go to school together, and think nothing of it. I was raised in a very small town of 3000 in north Tx. Also a very prejudice area at one time. I didn't know any "black" people until I was 18. I know that SNIC and I raise our daughter with the understanding that we are all one people and it really shows through her daily life. She doesn't know the meaning of different. When she was about 18 months old I guess, we were in Wal-Mart and she saw this brown baby. She just had to have it. Named it Briana. Well she carried this thing with her everywhere. I hate to admit it, but I was questioned about it by some of my own family members. It's funny, she refers to some of her friends as "brown skinned" or "tan skinned". She never refers to someone as "black". I guess that is just how she sees people. She has never known prejudice. On Martin Luther King day a few weeks ago, they learned about him in school. She came home all excited about it. She said, "mom, I learned about the best guy today. If it weren't for him, I couldn't be friends with Michaela" Hopefully we are all raising our children to love everyone!
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    On Martin Luther King day a few weeks ago, they learned about him in school. She came home all excited about it. She said, "mom, I learned about the best guy today. If it weren't for him, I couldn't be friends with Michaela" Hopefully we are all raising our children to love everyone!
    Bravo...that is so cool to read. It all starts at home, that's for sure.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I dont get the color thing either. People are people, we all breath the same air, drive on the same streets and shop at the same stores.

I have met great people in all shapes sizes and colors, I have met complete jerks in all shapes sizes and colors.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    One good thing about being military... you are exposed to many different races. You live together, work together, go to school together, and think nothing of it. I was raised in a very small town of 3000 in north Tx. Also a very prejudice area at one time. I didn't know any "black" people until I was 18. I know that SNIC and I raise our daughter with the understanding that we are all one people and it really shows through her daily life. She doesn't know the meaning of different. When she was about 18 months old I guess, we were in Wal-Mart and she saw this brown baby. She just had to have it. Named it Briana. Well she carried this thing with her everywhere. I hate to admit it, but I was questioned about it by some of my own family members. It's funny, she refers to some of her friends as "brown skinned" or "tan skinned". She never refers to someone as "black". I guess that is just how she sees people. She has never known prejudice. On Martin Luther King day a few weeks ago, they learned about him in school. She came home all excited about it. She said, "mom, I learned about the best guy today. If it weren't for him, I couldn't be friends with Michaela" Hopefully we are all raising our children to love everyone!
    I'm kinda in the same situation as you were in. Most of the people here (including me) are white Christians, which can have it's disadvantages. During the Fall, we have a carnival in a town near here and there was a rumor that, in the parade for it, the KKK was gonna have a float. In a lack of words, I was mad! Even more for this: In another town here, also, the KKK was already in a parade! It's terrible what some people can get away with here!
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Here's another angle. To me, it's more about the classic have's and have not social structure. I don't have a problem with a black guy enjoying the same rewards of society as I do. However I do have a problem with a black guy panhandling ( which the smarter cities in TX have made illegal) but hey, I have a problem with a white guy doing it to. It's just a fact that blacks have a bigger proportion of criminals and poverty than any other race in America. I think blacks are 10% of the population but 80 of the prison system. That's not racist, it's just truth. This turns off alot of whites. Where I live, the blacks you would see on the streets driving around are mostly of the vagrant, loitering type. You look next to you at a light, there in gangsta looking cars with the spinners, sitting real low. I'm sure there are very prominent Black men in town, but there at work, so you never see them. The "Hip-hop" culture is the single biggest problem with the downfall of society if you ask me. Promoting violence, thuggery and hatred toward the white men. Kid's hear this crap and want to imitate it. Next thing is 7th graders wearing pants with a 42 inch waste.(stupid) The biggest reason why I think racism still exist is that certain parts of the black society are self degrading. Calling each other ******************************, ruling there neighborhoods with gang violence, the whole hip-hop culture on parade. Have you ever seen a neighborhood anywhere in America that prospered once the blacks took it over? Is that racist to say, or just an observance. There are certain parts of every city in America I won't drive in. They're not the " white " neighborhoods. Chris Rock said it best. MLK stood for Peace, but if you're on MLK anywhere in America there is some violence happing. So, that's why I think we still have racism in America.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I personally do not care about race. Just be nice and work for what you get.
    Just go for it!