Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Old Threads

Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Old Threads

Is there any chance we can lock down the old threads? As much as I try to pay attention to the dates they were started, I just seem to find myself reading threads that sound rather interesting only to realize that after 20-30 posts that the thread is two years old. People are responding and firing them back up too, which makes it extra frustrating.

Just a suggestion. Thanks!
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why close all of the old threads? Some are, and others might be, worth rehashing and discussing.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

As far as I know, Brett only "locked up" the Sam and Dave tour forum. Everything else he had saved, before the hack, is here. Brett wanted to have the older threads available to keep as much history of the links alive. We are still in the "beginning" stages of the re-start so there are some older threads that appear to be new unless you look at the dates.
    It's kind of cool to me that some topics can still be discussed like they were started last week, instead of 3 years ago. If you click on the blue arrow pointing right (go to last post) that will bring you to the most current post....
    Last edited by BREW CREW; 01.29.05 at 08:35 PM.
    Just go for it!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was just reading one where someone had posted about a writer who slammed Mikey. People were starting to email the guy about something he wrote 2-3 years ago unil Goo shut down the thread. IMO, it kind of makes people from the Links look like idiots when they start flaming people about something they wrote 3 years ago.

If someone wanted to rehash something, they could always start a new thread, that we we know that they really want to rehash it, not just bring the dead body to the top of the pond because they didn't notice the date.

Just my opinion...
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH-is-Alive
    I was just reading one where someone had posted about a writer who slammed Mikey. People were starting to email the guy about something he wrote 2-3 years ago unil Goo shut down the thread. IMO, it kind of makes people from the Links look like idiots when they start flaming people about something they wrote 3 years ago.

If someone wanted to rehash something, they could always start a new thread, that we we know that they really want to rehash it, not just bring the dead body to the top of the pond because they didn't notice the date.

Just my opinion...
    Sooo, are you saying that people from the links are being representative of the Links and E-mailing flaming messages to people?
    Just go for it!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO, it kind of makes people from the Links look like idiots when they start flaming people about something they wrote 3 years ago.
    I'm not sure how that is representative of anyone except the individual.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wray
    I'm not sure how that is representative of anyone except the individual.
    Unless they e-mailed saying " I am from vhlinks.com and (the flaming comments)...that would not be cool.
    Yes, I agree that if they did not say they are from here or made someone assume they post here, it is totally there deal.
    Just go for it!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm not saying they sent the email "on behalf of", but it's pretty easy for it to be looked at that way by the recipient. I'd say when the guy gets the email(s) that he'll wonder why the fuck someone is emailing him about such an old article and might even ask why/where. From there, the determination could easily be "Those people are fucking idiots over there."

Again, I'm speculating on why it might be a good idea to shut down the old threads. OLO did this in the Rumor Mill.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Rumor Mill is a completely different situation.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

I'm not saying they sent the email "on behalf of", but it's pretty easy for it to be looked at that way by the recipient. I'd say when the guy gets the email(s) that he'll wonder why the fuck someone is emailing him about such an old article and might even ask why/where. From there, the determination could easily be "Those people are fucking idiots over there."

Again, I'm speculating on why it might be a good idea to shut down the old threads. OLO did this in the Rumor Mill.
    That is why OLO is the super duper frontman! He is the shit!
    Last edited by BREW CREW; 01.29.05 at 09:13 PM.
    Just go for it!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

The old threads are important to the history of this site. We lost all the posts from 2004 and some from 2003 already from the hackers around New Years. I don't think it's a good idea to close old threads, you can re-use some of them, when new people come here. I have done that before.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

I've had a couple of old threads brought up in the Music forum, and while I'm not a fan of that happening, I won't close them (unless it's an old thread about a band that there's been a current new thread started). People (that are bringing them back) just need to pay attention, is all!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I didn't mean to get rid of the old threads, just close them. It was just a suggestion. I'm obviously overruled on this one. I hope people (including myself) start paying closer attention to the dates on the first post of threads.