Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:01 AM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default Teens in Virginia banned from using cell phones while driving

Teen driver cell phone ban, seat belt bill passes Senate
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A bill that bans motorists younger than 18 from talking on cellular phones while driving and subjects them to tickets if they don’t wear seat belts won easy Senate passage Friday.
    By a 32-7 vote, a bill that its sponsor, Sen. Jay O’Brien, said would make Virginia the first state to ban minors from using mobile phones while driving a car was advanced to the House of Delegates.
    ‘‘We feel that the teen driver with the provisional license and a learner’s permit should be dedicated to one single act, and that is the awesome responsibility of driving a car,’’ said O’Brien, R-Fairfax County.
    ‘‘I can’t imagine what it costs a parent to lose a child. That’s the consequence of a teen fatality. It breaks hundreds of hearts,’’ he said.
    The legislation is in line with a national trend the past two years to crack down on mobile phone use by drivers, particularly youthful ones, said Matt Sundeen, who studies transportation issues for the National Council of State Legislatures.
    The National Transportation Safety Board last year recommended that states ban cell phone use by young drivers after the agency investigated a 2002 crash on the Washington Beltway in Maryland that killed five people. A 20-year-old who was talking on her cell phone lost control of her sport utility vehicle, which crossed the median, flipped and crushed a minivan. The SUV driver and four people in the minivan were killed.
    Maine and New Jersey have already banned cell phone use by drivers under 21 who have only a learner’s permit. No state imposes a cell phone ban on licensed teen cell phone users, Sundeen said, but several legislatures this year are considering legislation similar to Virginia’s.
    In debate on the bill on Thursday, critics said it places an unreasonable burden on police officers to guess a driver’s age only from a fleeting glance through a windshield.
    ‘‘What cause would a police officer have to pull over a vehicle of an individual on a cell phone if they thought they were under the age of 18? How would they tell,’’ Sen. Charles R. Hawkins, R-Pittsylvania.
    Sen. William C. Mims said police officers make determinations every day about the age of drivers.
    ‘‘In many municipalities, there are curfews at midnight, ... and they apply only under age 18 and local police have to make the determination about whether to stop someone when they look young,’’ said Mims, R-Loudoun.
    In addition to the seat-belt and phone requirements, the bill also imposes a midnight to 4 a.m. curfew except when the minor is driving beside a parent, responding to an emergency or going to or from work or a school-sponsored activity.
    Virginia for several years has resisted enacting general restrictions on cell phone use by drivers, arguing that it is an undue restriction on privacy and personal liberty. It’s easier to restrict such bans on young people still learning how to drive, Sundeen said.
    ‘‘This approach seems more politically palatable than the others,’’ he said.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They might as well ban cell phones while driving everywhere. It's a fucking hazard anyways. The Supreme Court should shape this area of the policy before more accidents occur as opposed to just waiting for them to occur.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy5150
    They might as well ban cell phones while driving everywhere. It's a fucking hazard anyways. The Supreme Court should shape this area of the policy before more accidents occur as opposed to just waiting for them to occur.
    Add the words "non-hands-free" in there and I am with you. Although I agree with the ban on teens driving with cells. They need to spend the next few years concentrating on the road and learning how to co-exist with the rest of us out there.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

01.09.07 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I'd say Virginia is the first to have this law, because our teenagers have got to be the most idiotic in the nation, aside from KY...
    ~Van Halen will live on thru their music, despite their fate as a band~

*1,000 poster on the ORIGINAL "Beautiful Girls" Thread*

The Original BaronVanHalen

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

right now & dreams
    Last Online

01.02.14 @ 04:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know the laws in your country but in Italy if you're talking on phone while driving you're running the risk to lose you driving-licence for 6 mounths.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by boatontheriver70
    I don't know the laws in your country but in Italy if you're talking on phone while driving you're running the risk to lose you driving-licence for 6 mounths.
    Well as you can see we have some catching up to do here in the US. I think your country has the right idea.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, but you guys are hard-core. You have a Lamborghini police car, for pete's sake.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I think there should be a national ban across the board. The hands free, and U-Connect stuff is OK, but I'm tired of people weaving on the 101 trying to talk on their phone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Banning cell phones all together would cause a massive epidemic of a new severe depression syndrome among females of all ages. It is part of their identity to have a phone glued to their head at all times, especially when driving.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Banning cell phones all together would cause a massive epidemic of a new severe depression syndrome among females of all ages. It is part of their identity to have a phone glued to their head at all times, especially when driving.
    Is it possible to drive down the road and not see a woman with a cell phone attached to her head? Or go into the mall or any Wal-Mart without seeing someone with one of these goddamn things attached to their head? I do not have a cell, and I won't have a cell. I don't like people calling me at home most times let alone while I'm driving down the road!

At Amazon all the ops managers, area managers, leads and trainers have phones and one of the area managers called the ops manager while he was in the bathroom taking a shit!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In Japan, you're given 2 citations; 1 for illegally using your cellphone while operating a motor vehicle, and another for contributing to the possibility of a vehicle accident.

I never had a single ticket when I lived there, but I knew others who did and they said any citation is expen$ive! Parking citations run $350 minimum.

They need to enact a nationwide law stipulating hands-free useage only. Here in San Diego, where driving on the freeway is essentially taking your life in your hands, I've had far too many close calls with idiot-fucks who feel their cellphone conversation is more important than paying attention to their driving skills.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vince G.
    for contributing to the possibility of a vehicle accident..
    I don't know about the rest of you, but that scares the hell out of me.

I do, however, agree. Hands-free, or nothing at all.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Dang Vike, I thought I was the last Mohican without a cell, glad to have somebody in the club! I don't know, the phone annoys me at my house, no need to carry one around.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

UK also bans the use of cellphones whilst driving other than with a hands free kit. It all kicked off when one guy was texting his girlfriend, went off the road on to a train track, derailed an oncoming train, killing a lot of passengers and the train driver.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]