Favorite VH Song

Women in Love & Aftershock
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default QUESTION: New EBMM Guitars V. EVH EBMM

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question:

Am I nuts to pay $1,200.00 for a new Ernie Ball Music Man Axis?

I have a Wolfgang SE made in Korea that I run thru a 5150 II Combo & recently played an Axis.

Big Difference!

I've always wanted an EBMM, but cannot decide whether I should buy a used EVH EBMM or the new EBMM post EVH.

What is the difference between today's EBMM vs. Eddie's Ernie Ball used in the early 90's?

I have heard that it's the same guitar but plays better than the Wolfgang.

Don't get me wrong, my Wolfgang is a great guitar, but I bought it when I first started & am now looking for a great guitar like the EBMM EVH Editions were.

I have tossed around the idea of a Les Paul Gibson/Fender Strat, but I keep coming back to the EBMM Axis. I love the sound, quality & especially the neck since I have small hands.

What do you all think?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
    "Michael Anthony on the Bass"

-David Lee Roth, Largo--1982

-Formally, aftershock5-

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Peavey don't do a 5150 II combo do they? i know they do a 5150. I have an axis and it beats my usa wolfgang special hands down. There are only a few minor differences between the EVH ebmm and the axis, such as toggle switch placement, and there's a cutout on the back like a strat. I love my axis and wouldn't part with it for anything else. I see the EVH as being collectors items, and thats why they cost more, not because they're loads better than the axis.

Just my opinion.
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Amsterdam
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BOBW_5150
    Am I nuts to pay $1,200.00 for a new Ernie Ball Music Man Axis?
    No: if you want it new, want to order it through a dealer, and want to get the one year warranty (though many EBMM users have said that since everything's rock solid from day one, it isn't needed), etc.

Yes: if you don't care about any of those above, you can get a great deal on eBay (saw an Axis Super Sport up there for like $750 last night!)

I've always wanted an EBMM, but cannot decide whether I should buy a used EVH EBMM or the new EBMM post EVH.
    That's up to you...I bought an EVH back in 92, then sold it in 97...when I started playing again in '02, I bought 2 Axes (the plural of Axis, how appropriate! ) -- I ended up "downgrading" to 2 EVH's by the end of the year because I was so accustomed to the EVH and the way that it was set up.

If you're like me, and you're accustomed to the way that the EVH is set up, that's your way of direction. If you're more familiar with the Axis, I would stick with that.

What is the difference between today's EBMM vs. Eddie's Ernie Ball used in the early 90's? I have heard that it's the same guitar but plays better than the Wolfgang.
    EVH/Axis differences:
    1. Volume knob now labeled "Volume" on Axis, instead of "Tone" on EVH.
    2. Axis pickup selector switch relocated to below volume knob instead of near lower horn on EVH.
    3. Axis neck at base increased in width by 1/32" to lessen/prevent high E slippage.
    4. Saddles on Floyd rest strings directly across, EVH had offset saddles.
    5. Pickup wiring on Axis has third wire added for more switching options, only two wires on EVH pickups (aside from wiring, they are the same pickups either way)
    6. Body contour added on torso area of Axis, straight body (no cut) on EVH.
    7. Lack of signature on Axis headstock (obviously).

EDIT...I keep coming back to the EBMM Axis. I love the sound, quality & especially the neck since I have small hands.
    Absolutely...in the aspect of the craftsmanship, etc. it just can't be beat hands down, IMO. They are well made guitars, and the quality of the components carry over into its playability and sound aspect, because just as much time and thought went into that part as well.

The neck in either aspect, EVH or Axis, is great to me, though as a former EVH player, the Axis did feel a little different post-EVH, even though the necks are made the exact same way. (That could just be my crazy head working in its own weird way though! ) The little nitpicks aside, fits me like a glove.

Hope that helped you...drop by the EBMM forums and chat it up there. I'm a moderator over there, and we've people over there that play/have both models, and can supply you with some great insight on that behalf: http://www.ernieball.com/forums/

Later...
    Darrell
    ----
    "We (the British) have hated the French for years. Now you (the United States) have just joined the club. It makes you much more likable."
    -- Simon Cowell (in an interview) on France

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THANKS

Thank you both very much. I'm going to get it & maybe later this year find an EVH EBMM (if I still want too )

Thanks again

-Formally, aftershock5-

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasure_dome_5150
    Peavey don't do a 5150 II combo do they? i know they do a 5150. I have an axis and it beats my usa wolfgang special hands down. There are only a few minor differences between the EVH ebmm and the axis, such as toggle switch placement, and there's a cutout on the back like a strat. I love my axis and wouldn't part with it for anything else. I see the EVH as being collectors items, and thats why they cost more, not because they're loads better than the axis.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the input man

Oh, BTW, yes, Peavey did make a 5150 Combo as I have been playing thru it for a year. It's one motherfucker of an amp man-I mean that in a good way

-Formally, aftershock5-

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also own a 5150 combo, you said you had a 5150 mk II combo, just confused me a little, enjoy your Axis!, perfect setup - Axis/EVH - 5150 combo.
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buy it!....I've had my Axis for 5 years, wouldn't change it for owt, beats the Wolf hands down
    Remember, Ed got his best tones through a EBMM..

Last Online

03.19.05 @ 01:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take it from a EBMM EVH owner, they are a superb instrument!! You will not be dissapointed!!!
    Rock 'N Roll Never Forgets.....

EBMM EVH Quilt top
    '79 LP Custom Silverburst
    '97 Ace Frehley LP Custom
    '86 USA Kramer Baretta
    #708 Wechter Pathmaker Acoustic

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I had an opportunity once to A/B the EBMM/Peavey products and the difference in quality was VERY EVIDENT from the very first touch.
    EBMM was better...way better.