Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Everbody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

06.24.12 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default OLP MM1 vs. Wolfgang EXP

This is my first post so go easy on me!

I currently own a squire affinity strat which I bought about a year ago when I knew very little about electric guitars - (I have played an acoustic for years)

After seeing the mighty VH in Hamilton in November, it has sparked my interest in playing some Halen tunes. The problem as you have guessed by now is that my "strat" is in no way capable of the brown sound.

I've learned alot from these boards and I thought you guys would have an opinion on the OLP MM1 in comparison to a Wolfgang EXP. An EXP is at the top end I want to pay (assuming I can still find one on ebay) and I will never be in a band or anything like that. So this guitar is basically for a limited ability player to mess around with and grind out some kick ass VH sound for the wife and kiddies! (Don't laugh it might get me laid more!)

I know many of you don't like anything that's not made in the USA but if you had to choose between the two which one would it be?

Thanks

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.25.14 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just wanted to mention I don't think people on the boards have something inherently against stuff made outside the USA, but it's been apparent that the quality of the imported Wolfgangs is significantly lower than the early run American made models.

I have two USA-made models, so I can't be of much help in the actual question...wolfgangs feel great, and I have to imagine that even the imported version plays well...on the other hand, i've also heard great things about the OLP's...so i would say it comes down to price...you'll probably pay around 500 or so for an EXP, and around 2-300 for an OLP.

But i'm not sure...someone with more experience on those particular guitars???

-JCM

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

I cannot speak for the OLP guitars since I do not have one but I have to Specials.

One is made in the USA and the other in Korea and is an EXP.

The USA model is a better product however the EXP is not that far behind. There is very little difference with the sound and playing ability. About the only area where I can notice it is with the bridge. The USA model is just made out of better parts. However the EXP stays in tune fine.

The quilt top on the EXP is incredible. I have received many compliments on it.

I know that OLP is coming out with a Floyd model but if I had a choice, I would pick the Wolfgang. I have played live with it several times and it has not let me down.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but you may be able to get a good price on a Wolfgang Special using e-Bay, comparable to what you would pay for a new EXP.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Neither one is considered a stage instrument, and quality on both is pretty much the same regardless of what owners would like to believe.
    If OLP is actually coming out with a real floyd you're probably better to go with that one as the neck is smaller and probably more comfortable for a new player. The Olp neck is a closer design to the EBMM neck which has a 10" radius and isn't as wide and flat as the wolfgang neck's 15" radius.

They both have nice tops because they're both photo tops, which means picture tops. The quilts are nice cause they're pictures of quilt tops laid over an extremely thin veneer and glued to the wood.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but you may be able to get a good price on a Wolfgang Special using e-Bay, comparable to what you would pay for a new EXP.
    I agree, i used to own an EXP then i got a special, there's a world of difference in my opinion, the specials are brilliant guitars and lose thier value greatly on ebay which is ridiculous, keep a lookout, you could get a terrific 2nd hand guitar for what you'd pay for an ok new one.

I've heard great reviews on the olp aswell.
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

If you look around on Ebay you could probably find a nice American Wolfgang between 400-500 bucks. That is the same price as the Exp's. It may not have a top but they are still nice. I own an Exp and it is a nice guitar. However, some Exp's are better than others. If I were going to buy a used Wolfgang online without playing it first, I think it would be safer to buy made in the US.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    They both have nice tops because they're both photo tops, which means picture tops. The quilts are nice cause they're pictures of quilt tops laid over an extremely thin veneer and glued to the wood.
    The OLP is a photofinish, but the EXP has a real wood veneer, albeit very thin. I don't have any problem with photo tops; some Fenders had photo-flame tops and looked alright. The top on the EXP looks a bit nicer to me than the OLP top, though. Even so, I like the OLP as a guitar, and it plays pretty nicely for what it is.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Waiting for my new OLP to arrive , so I can't speak to playability just yet , but the newer OLP floyd models do come with a real flamed maple top , not a print . I'm real anxious to run it through some paces ! Then I'll report back !

Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

08.18.05 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an OLP and have the EXP. Trust me, get the EXP, or used U.S. Special if you can.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk5150
    Waiting for my new OLP to arrive , so I can't speak to playability just yet , but the newer OLP floyd models do come with a real flamed maple top , not a print . I'm real anxious to run it through some paces ! Then I'll report back !
    Hey yeah, I did see that the Floyd models have a real flamed top now. I would go ahead and get one if it didn't have a dang floating bridge.

Favorite VH Song

Everbody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

06.24.12 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    The Olp neck is a closer design to the EBMM neck which has a 10" radius and isn't as wide and flat as the wolfgang neck's 15" radius.
    Thanks to all for the help. I think I will try to get a used special on ebay but one question about neck radius - one thing i noticed when going from acoustic to the affinity strat was that the neck was much thinner so it took a while to get used to and I still have a little trouble up near the top with muting strings by accident. Not sure how to measure neck radius but maybe the wider neck of the wolfie will be more like my acoustic guitar?

Again, thanks for the help so far - this board is a great resource. I also read through all the old posts about US vs. Korean wolfies - great stuff!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The neck radius isn't how thin or thick the neck is or how round it is at the back where your palm sits.
    It's the curvature of the fretboard from side to side, so a an older or reissue fender necks will have a 7.25-7.5 radius, meaning it's quite rounded on top although it's hard to feel while playing. You can tell because when you bend a string hard on an old fender it will fret out or die out after pushing it past a certain point because the roundness of the fret board brings it incontact with wood after a certain point.
    The EBMM necks have a 10" radius which is flatter and doesn't fret out easily when bending. Les Pauls have a 12" radius. The wolfgangs have a very flat radius od 15", meaning the fretboard is very flat, but also wider to accomidate the radius, and I've played instruments with 17" radius necks which I found very hard to play unless you're just shredding quickly.
    I find the best radius to be 10" for my hands. That curvature has the least amount of strain and it keeps the neck size down, which I also like, allowing me to play quickly, with no strain. I found the flatter radius on my wolfs to fatigue my hands after awhile.
    It's all a personal preference thing.
    If the new Olps are using actual flame maple tops now, and a real floyd then they're looking to become serious competition cause that puts the guitar into another ballpark.
    As far as accidently muting strings, that happens a lot when you first make the switch from acoustic to electric. It just takes practice with the new guitar and you'll get around it. Buying a guitar with a wider neck or flatter radius won't really make any difference cause you need a different touch on an electric neck. If you have a chance try out both the olp and exp neck and see what you think.
    Good luck on your choice.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    Hey yeah, I did see that the Floyd models have a real flamed top now. I would go ahead and get one if it didn't have a dang floating bridge.
    Block that sucker!

Favorite VH Album

VH1/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

04.02.05 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys

Ive got one of each and they are both cool. Overall I prefer the EXP (Or special QT as it's called in the UK). I have used it for about 15 gigs since I bought it. I have a Standard amber USA model too (1998) and although there is no comparison in terms of overall instrument quality, it does kind of get the feel right and stays in tune great. the OLP is also a great guitar with a really comfy neck - if you like these I suggest getting the new floyd version. - Question for you guys - does the OLP floyd float or is it true to the original?