Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Head Vs. Combo

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.07.13 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Head Vs. Combo

So, in your humble opinions, is one better, preferred, etc..?

Other than price, why choose one over the other?

Last Online

08.10.11 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A combo is useful because it is "more" portable and lighter then a head/cab.

Most of the time the combo is not going to be as loud as a head/cab.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

With a head you can have more options on speaker cabinet configurations like 4x10's or 4x12's or a mixture of a couple of cabs. With a combo you're either stuck with what it's built for as far as speaker size or you have use it with a cab.

Especially for tube amps be sure and learn all about speaker impedence and speaker load before trying a bunch of odd ball cabinets. The life of your amp will depend on it.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got to disagree. A 4x12 cab will give you some more bottom end thump, but a 2x12 cab will give you just as much volume, depending on the speakers.
    I use a single EV 12L in my bassman combo and that thing is so loud I can't put the volume over 5 in any clubs I've had it in. I had it up to 6 in a 250 seater but couldn't stand in front of it, and it fits on the seat of my car. It'll rip your head off at 7.
    I'm going to change the EV out for a Jensen 12" Neodymium speaker shortly cause the EV is just too F#*^n heavy.
    I like combo's these days because unless you're playing a 1500 seater or up you just can't use the full potential of a 4x12 or 8x12 cab.
    When we did outdoor venues I had to mic the 4x12 cab I was using anyway, and at one venue that we shared with a kiss tribute from the US I used their stage full of empty 4x12 cabs, while close mic'ing a 1x12 mesa boogie combo from backstage.

I tend to like combos because of their portability, and the fact that most good amps these days can deliver a 4x12 sound in a 1x12 or 2x12 combo package.

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with tribb on the volume thing, a combo can be as loud as most would practically need.

I went through a phase of having a marshall cabinets and heads and eventually realized it is far easier on my back (and other body parts) to move my 2 x12 fender cyber twin.

I guess if I had my own roadies I wouldn't really care though.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I don't know guys. There's something about all that air that a 4x12 pushes that I have never heard/felt from a 2x12 or 1x12. I may be that I've played 4x12's my whole life so that's what I'm used to. Everytime I plug into a combo of any make or brand I alway end up saying "it'd probably sound good with a 4x12". Also from a players standpoint using a 4x12 kind of covers you in sound. There are 4 speakers going instead of 2 or 1 so the sonic depth/width/spread is completly different. 4x12's seem to give you more of everything to work with IMO.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know what you mean, but that's what I meant by low end thump.
    That's the only difference I can hear, especially when dealing with a lot of boutique heads. The head makes a lot of difference too.
    You're the only guy I know that can make a mesa boogie head sound really good to my ears so I can understand your 4x12 outlook. It's a part of your overall sound.
    I know other guys that have tried to impress me using the same setup as you and it's laughable.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Both -

I've been a combo guy for a long time, but the combo I have is still pretty heavy. I've lately been loving the combination of a lightweight 1x12 cabinet, and a Fender Bandmaster head. You can carry it in 2 hands, it's manageable, you can run a multitude of different amps through the cab etc. Head/Cab=more flexible, combos, well, there is always going to be some killer tones that can actually only be achieved via a combo. Neil Youngs Tweed would sound like crap as a head/cab, and EVH's old Marshall would have been a pretty boxey sounding combo.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

4x12 cabinets...I love 'em!

However, when playing country music I prefer a combo. It's just a totally different 'feel'.

ChunkChunk.
    Out.