Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Watch your cholesterol boys and girls...

Thought I would share this with my fellow linkers...

My dad had an emergency 3-way bypass surgery on his heart Monday. First off he is doing fine. He has had stress tests before and the most recent showed a shadow in one of the blood vessels around his heart. Went for a catherization (sp??) Monday morning and they found the blockage. Flew him in a medivac to Washington Hospital Center to have the surgery. After the surgery, the doc said his heart was healthy and there were no signs of a heart attack, just build-up in his veins. He's doing fine and is expected to return home Friday and make a full recovery. Funny thing is he showed no symptoms and put down a hard wood floor Sat. & Sun. and shoveled his driveway Sat. nite.

So here's what I have to say, anybody over the age of 40 should get yearly stress tests done because you could be in good shape like my father who's 62 and potentially have "the big one" without any signs.

Don't worry, my family especially my mother are doing fine (all things considered). Just need to take it one step at a time. Our church family and friends have been wonderful and very supportive.

Thanks for letting me share this with fellow Van Halen freaks like myself...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

First of all, glad to hear that your Dad and family are doing well.

Ditto what Buschman said. I had a heart attack out of the blue last January. Cholesterol was never high, blood pressure never too high, maybe a little overweight...

You just never know when this demon will strike. I had no pre-dispostition (family history etc...) but they found an artery 90% blocked. I did have a minor attack, but they told me that I could have had 'the big one' in a matter of weeks or months once that artery closed up.
    At least get your cholesterol checked once in a while.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Glad to hear your dad is doing well, shit just sneaks up on you and you never know it. I'm 34 and I think I'm going to start getting regular checkups now, just to be on the safe side. I hear too many stories like yours...it's scary!!! Best of luck to your dad bro!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I'm glad your dad is doing well. Best wishes to him and your family!

My dad has high cholesterol also. This is something that I am sure I will have to deal with when I get older as well.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was gonna have bacon and eggs for breakfast, but I think I'll just eat a banana..

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Wow Buschman. This is crazy since my dad also just had a blocked coronary artery. He's always been in good shape and his cholesterol is low and everything. He had chest pains starting in September and his doctor actually told him it was just a muscle thing. Thank God he listened to us and finally got that stress test! He was in the hospital this morning for a procedure and they found that his left coronary artery was 99% blocked. We're all very lucky he didn't have a heart attack. He's 56 by the way. But the interesting thing is, his brother had a heart attack at the same age. I just say go no matter what and get that test done. Very happy your dad is alright Buschman. I guess we're both lucky.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My Dad had a massive heart attack at 48 due to low electrolites in his blood. One serving of peas or lima beans would have prevented it. His quack doctor missed the electrolites on his routine check-up. Eat your veggies!

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sorry to hear that Buschman. I can relate. I lost my mom a coulpe years ago due to heart disease. She was 62. She had high blood pressure and high colesterol. Come to find out all of my brothers/sister have high colesterol. Some more than others. Mine was 300!!! I take Lipitor and now it's 140. I agree that everyone should have a stress test at 40. I had one. Having your colesterol checked is easy and treatable if high. I went from 300 to 140 by simply taking 1 pill a day.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Well, just got back from seeing my dad at the hospital (only 10 minutes away if I drive like a taxi cab). He's doing good. I'm glad I went there b/c my mom and one of my bro's were late getting there. I guess he was feeling alittle lonely. He's walking alot farther than the nurses thought he would, so that's good. Doc says he will be able to go home sometime Friday if nothing comes up between now and then.

Thanks everybody!!!
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian
    Sorry to hear that Buschman. I can relate. I lost my mom a coulpe years ago due to heart disease. She was 62. She had high blood pressure and high colesterol. Come to find out all of my brothers/sister have high colesterol. Some more than others. Mine was 300!!! I take Lipitor and now it's 140. I agree that everyone should have a stress test at 40. I had one. Having your colesterol checked is easy and treatable if high. I went from 300 to 140 by simply taking 1 pill a day.

So is Lipitor a de-greaser for the bloodstream? What are the side-effects of Lipitor? I'm always skeptical about magic pills.. Brian, have you felt any side-effects (bleeding of the eyes, blue gums, sweaty fingernails, demonic possession, ears falling off, etc)?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.08.11 @ 12:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buschman, Glad to hear that your dad is doing well. Best to you and your family during this time.

I tell most of my friends to get their cholesterol checked on a yearly basis. I have to due to my family history and due to mine was over 200 last year. (Hell my mom's was pushing over 370) about 2 years ago. Both of my parents are on Lipitor, although my mom didn't want to go on it, she had no choice. (This is the same woman that had a silent heart attack and didn't tell my dad until the next week.) Her reason "I didn't want to worry him."

This happened again on the day after Thanksgiving, where she woke up around 2:30 in the morning and could not breathe. (She did have a stress test done per her doctor and it turned out well.)

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Buschman, glad your dad is doing well. Thank God they caught it in time.
    I just had my cholesterol checked a couple of weeks ago and it's 234! I'm only 29 and in decent shape (I'm working on that one) so apparently people are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol. My parents are both on Lipitor or something. I had hoped I wouldn't need to take any meds for it but it's looking like I probably will.
    Thanks for the advice and I would urge everyone to follow it. Might save your life.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my insurance says Lipitor is too expensive so i'm on Lescol XL. going to the doc in a few hours to get some blood drawn, supposedly they do a liver test after you've been on the cholesterol meds for a month.

high blood pressure also runs in the family...but i don't remember what med that is. it's around here somewhere.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    So is Lipitor a de-greaser for the bloodstream? What are the side-effects of Lipitor? I'm always skeptical about magic pills.. Brian, have you felt any side-effects (bleeding of the eyes, blue gums, sweaty fingernails, demonic possession, ears falling off, etc)?
    Phatie,
    From what I know, the biggest concern of taking Lipitor is liver problems. They test you for that (at least my Dr. did) before and during taking it, to make sure there are no problems. Like most all drugs, if you read the side effects you'll be like . I have a friend at work that had pain in his joints when he took Lipitor, so he stopped. I have had NO problems and have been taking it for about 2 years and I still have 2 ears. One thing though....You're not suppose to eat grapefriut while taking it??
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Busch,

Sounds like your pop is doing great! That's good news. There will be quite a difficult time ahead. Cardiac rehab for starters. After mine, I had 2 months of rehab 3 days a week. It was just walking on a treadmill or riding a bike while hooked up to heart monitors etc... nothing too strenuous. That exercise plus a pretty big change in diet led to me shedding 40 pounds in 6 months! Hmmm maybe my weight was a factor??

So he will need your support through the first 6 months easy. I mean, he'll need your support forever, but the first 6 months were the hardest. It sounds like you come from a good strong, loving family and have good friends so that shouldn't be difficult.

Keep the faith! They caught it early enough and now you all just have to work together to prevent any kind of recurrence.

Phatie,

There are tons of cholesterol lowering pills out there. Currently, I'm taking Zocor. I had been taking Pravachol right after my attack. The Doc wanted to try Zocor to see if she could "fine tune" the results. My cholesterol was never above 200 for starters, but is at 135 right now.

BTW, I get my blood checked like every 6 weeks and have a stress test each year.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.